Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why buy American

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 02:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why buy American

CHINA

Ever increasing free market economy........fueling a brutal communist dictatorship.

And American big business doesn't give a crap because all they see is a huge Chinese market and short term gains.

I remember as a kid in the late sixties/early seventies the big joke was "Made in Japan"......it was all cheap junk. Now look.

I see the same cheap junk coming out of CHINA.........but it will consistantly get better and better just like "Made in Japan" is now synonomous with quality.

The problem with CHINA is that the free market economy $$$ goes towards building up a communist regime with designs of great global power........an oppressive communist power.

American big business drools at the thought of selling to the huge Chinese market.........they see only their own short sighted self interests.......publicly traded companies that make decisions based solely on immediate stock holder returns.

CHINA is the next communist Super Power. But unlike the former Soviet Union....... CHINA has the benefit of a free market economy as well as the 'captive' labor force........and we are fueling its growth.

CHINA is like a baby T-Rex that we are feeding and making strong. Pretty soon it will be a fully-growed petulant teen-aged T-Rex.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

OK, let's rewind the tape. To those that are old enough to remember the gas shortage of the 70's.... America was buying and wanted, prior to this shortage, BIG American cars made totally in the US. We were geared up to build what America wanted. Then the gas shortage came. We Americans didn't give the US makers time to gear their plants to make economy cars - we turned right to Honda and Toyota and bought what they had (very short sighted of us).

We didn't have economy cars because that is NOT what WE had been asking for. We abandoned the US makers and workers and turned to what was available to get us home cheap. How could the US makers gear up to make the smaller cars we suddenly wanted when we sent our $ so much and so quickly to imports? We had to play a long game of catch up.

If we stuck to US made then, we would have better US cars, Quads, and much more a long time ago - not just recently (and a better economy too).

We were short sighted and screwed ourselves and the US auto maker workers too. We did a good job making what we did there after all things considered. And remember prior to that, WE Americans made the automobile.

Buy US whenever you can. Learn from history. To credit imports adds insult to self inflicted injury.

Old 05-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why buy American

QUOTE: Originally posted by: Backinthesaddleagain

CHINA Ever increasing free market economy........fueling a brutal communist dictatorship. The problem with CHINA is that the free market economy $$$ goes towards building up a communist regime with designs of great global power........an oppressive communist power.
CHINA is the next communist Super Power. But unlike the former Soviet Union....... CHINA has the benefit of a free market economy as well as the 'captive' labor force........and we are fueling its growth.
CHINA is like a baby T-Rex that we are feeding and making strong. Pretty soon it will be a fully-growed petulant teen-aged T-Rex.

I agree w/Backinthesaddleagain. And I'd like to add they are building a navy and army that will soon be far bigger than ours. All paid for with US dollars. Taiwan will be the line in the sand....

Old 05-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Range Rover
Default Why buy American

For all of you who claim that you prefer to buy American, how many of you shop at Wal-Mart? Nothing aganst Wal-Mart, you can get some killer deals there, but almost nothing you buy on a Wal-Mart shelf is made in the USA.
Also, Ive been around Polaris snowmobiles, ATVs, watercraft and more recently Victory motorcycles all my life and I can tell you this with 100% certainty: without Japanese companies such as Fuji and Mikuni, Polaris wouldnt even exist today. Way back when Kohler 4-cycle engines were common in sleds, Fuji stepped up to the plate and started to make 2-cycle engines for Polaris' snowmobiles.
Every single engine that Polaris uses, even the Liberty snowmobile engines are made by Fuji. Polaris does assemble the engine in Osceola, WI, but the parts are cast in Japan at Fuji Heavy Industry's foundry.
I also want you to consider something else. American companies are moving their operations outside of the United States because the costs are much less. They can pay someone in Mexico or China 1/10th of what they would pay someone in the US. So, if you support American companies, you are in a sense, supporting this practice.
I support Japanese companies whenever I can for several reasons. First of all, the quality and durability of Hondas and Yamaha is (in my opinion) better than that of Polaris. Also, Japanese companies have shown a willingness to employ American workers by opening plants in the US and at the same time offering excellent benefits. At Toyota's plant in Kentucky, the have a daycare center right there in the plant, so that workers dont need to worry about finding a babysitter for their kids.
I drive a Toyota Tundra, a Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4, a Yamaha RX-1 and I mow my yard with a Honda lawnmower.
Some people prefer to buy American and thats cool by me. I look at it this way, when their Ford or Chevy truck breaks down, Im more than happy to drive them down to the local parts house in my TOYOTA. More often than not, they walk away with a different view of Japanese vehicles.
Buy what you like, life is too short to waste your time endlessly arguing about it.
Cap'n

Old 05-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Sorry, but I don't buy the argument that just because many parts are made off shore, I should go all the way and buy something that not only are all the parts made off-shore, but the company headquarters are off-shore and all of the profits will go off shore. Any part of the profits that stay in the US is better than sending all the money off shore. So I say yes it is definitely better to buy from GM than Toyota. I tend to buy from US companies if all else is equal. I distinguish between American companies rather than American made because any company can produce in the US without being an American company. When Japanese Consumers buy GM cars, I will think about buying something from Japan.
BryceGTX

Old 05-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Range Rover
Default Why buy American

Id rathar buy an American-made Toyota than a Mexican-made Chevy. The American automakers dont give a rip about the American workers. All they care about is how much money they can put right back in their own pockets.
Cap'n

Old 05-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

So is it Toyota mandate to make every American worker happy? No.. And is Toyota making cars to make money or not? Yes of course they are. So I don't see the benefit of off shore companies.
BryceGTX

Old 05-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Why buy American

It makes me happy knowing that they are one of the only automakers that actually make a difference in our environment and knowing that I am a part of that. Thay pay me well and keep my family happy. If GM is so great then why do we supply them with Toyota motors.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why buy American

As I said in another form:

I was in San Antonio a couple weeks ago, rented a "new" Toyota with only 5,000 miles. It was noisy, the entire car shook when I stepped on the brakes, and the cruise control didn't work. A Honda motorcycle I bought new went through 3 engines in only 15,000 miles.
On the onther hand, I have a 91 Ranger 4X4 w/120,000 miles. No issues other than those caused by normal wear & tear (or me!!!). No drive train issues at all, other than a minor oil leak. I have 99 F150 4X4, no issues what so ever. The wife drives a 2000 Saturn SL w/98,000 miles and again, no issues at all. Personally, I will never buy an import.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Hey 2manytoys. I have no argument whether Toyota or GM is better or worse than the other. They are each as good or bad as the other. But for the US economy, I suggest it is better to buy GM. I couldn't help but notice that you swapped out your 84 Toyota motor for a GM 4.3 L Vortec. Heck, why didn't you just buy a Silverado. They come standard with 4.3 Vortecs. If you want to see what GM does for the environment, they have a great set of web pages describing what they do.
BryceGTX

Quick Reply: Why buy American