Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bought The Wife A Quad !

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 01:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I bought Her a SLIGHTLY used 2000 Trailboss 325 and was wondering what to look for as far as reliablity ,ease of use ect...
Quad only has had about 10 hrs on it and all ridden by an older gentleman who can't ride anymore.

Old 07-22-2002, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

Iowahuntr,

Hey that's great to hear! I got a quad for my wife too. Pretty good trade huh?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] The poor guy who got my wife doesn't know what he is in for!(LOL)

Seriously though,

Check the oil (while you're at it change it), check the transmission fluid, grease all of the zerks and you should be fine! Then add gas and go. Remember to check all of these thing every month or so. More often if you do hard riding. Good luck!

Old 07-22-2002, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

Oh no! you bought a junky Polaris? Those things are so unreliable. Apparently, I own the only two in existance that haven't required any major repairs.

Just kidding. Follow Mike's advise and she'll have smooth sailing.

Old 07-22-2002, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Make sure that it has had the recall work done on the oil lines. Or she might get a hot oil bath or other problems.

Old 07-22-2002, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

My wife rides a 2000 Trailboss that I bought new. Other than the oil line recall I haven't had any problems at all with it, it's been rock solid. The wife loves the nice cushy ride.

Old 07-22-2002, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer

Iowahuntr,
Check done by the oil filter, on the base of it there will be two hoses coming of of it going to the oil cooler. If they look like regular fuel line held on with hose clamps, the recall hasn't been done. If they look like hydraulic lines or grease gun lines, then it's been done. With so few hours on the machine, Id place this as a high priority item. I waited to do ours, but kept a close eye on 'em. Mine started to leak, so I double hose clamped it til was fixed. The Traiboss 325 builds very high oil pressure and was blowing the lines right off.
This is a great ladies bike. Smooth riding, adequate power, handles well, good mud protection (my wife hates getting dirty!!) We bought ours in June of '99 and my wifes is still pristine wuth zero problems. Mine looks like a crazy fool's been riding the snot out of it....

Old 07-23-2002, 12:19 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for all the replies. I did check the oil lines and they have been upgraded to the new ones. My wife has only ridden it a few times so far and seems to enjoy it so far. I think I will have to soften up the rear shock a bit for her as she's a small woman and the older man was 250lbs or so. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-23-2002, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Iowahuntr

The steering will eventually get a lot of play in it (after about 50 hours). This is due to the modern engineering marvel known as the plastic steering stem bushing. Go out to HPD and order an aftermarket replacement made out of aluminum and brass. Installation takes less than an hour and eliminates the steering play. Otherwise, watch the brakes (stock ones wear fast, especially the rear) and keep the chain clean. Hope she enjoys her new ride.