Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 lift kit cv problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am installing a highlifter kit, and in direct disregard of the warnings, I allowed the CV shaft to become separated. Does anybody know how to put it back together?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-25-2002, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider

I assume you mean the inboard CV.
Loosen the boot clamps and slide the boot down the shaft o0ut of the way.
Buried about a 1/4" in on the inboard CV "hub" there'll be a thin metal snap ring in an inside groove. A small screwdriver is all that should be needed to remove it. insert the shaft back into the hub and reinstall that snap ring. Replace and grease lost and position the boot while the shaft is about in the middle of it's sliding position. Tighten the boot clamps and make sure the CV can achieve full articulation without popping the boot loose.

Old 08-25-2002, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think you are referring to the front cv shaft. All you have to do undo the clamps and slide the boot up so you can see what you are doing. Then push the shaft back into the joint. You will feel a little "pop" when it is all the way in. With a little experience you can reset the shaft without removing the boot. But that can be a trick. May I warn you that the high lifter kit for the 700 is cheap crap. You will noticed after you have installed the kit that the front cv boots rub the strut housings. They want you to grind on the strut housings to make them not rub. If you ground all you should to keep them from rubbing you will loose all your strength in the strut housing. I think High Lifter has very sloppy engineering and design. But the kit does raise your atv.

Old 08-25-2002, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

thanks, both of you. I was referring to the outbard front CV joints. I couldn't see how to get the boot off without wrecking it, so I pulled the balljoint and fiddled with it until it went back in. Actually, I could not get the strut in or out without unbolting the balljoint. The directions don't mention this, but probably because they want you to remove the plastic. I was not about to remove my front rack, winch and mount, and plastic-way too much work. As far as the highlifter kit goes, I didn't see too many out there, and it seemed like a pretty popular brand, so I bought it. So far my chief complaint is the extremely poor instructions. I do have mechanical ability (except concerning CV joints apparently!) and I found it tough to follow. They were actually more vague than confusing. But, I figured it out in spite of them. I did grind quite a bit off the strut mounts, but it certainly doesn't look like it would weaken it.
anyway, thanks for replying.

Old 08-25-2002, 11:46 PM
Range Rover

if your turn your bars at full lock while in 4x4 mode you will pop the cvs out running a lift kit..

wich reminds me i got a couple of used sportsman kits lying around in boxes...

Old 08-26-2002, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

I find that hard to believe, after watching a bunch of lifted Sportsmen and Grizzlies and some others running mud bogs and an obstacle course all day long at a quad rodeo. I've yet to see a problem, and I ask everybody I see with a lift how they like it. Even the dealer says they don't see any lift related problems besides premature cv wear, which is to be expected.Of course, that said I will probably blow mine out this weekend...

Old 08-27-2002, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

Mine's lifted just a little bit, and I haven't had a cv pop out yet. Check out my photos:

Waylan

Old 08-27-2002, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

If the CV's could "pop out" that easy, none of my bikes would ever make it out of the garage.

Old 08-27-2002, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

hey 425Xpedition,
Awesome pictures! But, it looks like your CVs did pop out. My only question is how do you get the front tires to turn?

Old 08-27-2002, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

whoops, my bad, I meant to reply to Walexa, accidentally addressed it to 425Xpedition. It must be past my bedtime.
Sorry

Quick Reply: 700 lift kit cv problem