Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I sank it

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002 | 02:46 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

After a nice rain on Friday which were the reminants of the tropical storm that hit, I ventured into one of our favotite mud holes Sunday thinking I could back out if it got too deep. Well, it has a rather soft bottom, so when I got it to the limit, I hit reverse, it decided to sink down in the mud and flood the carborator. It wasn't to the top of the air intake, but it was up to the seat and the air intake wasn't securely latched so nice muddy water got sucked into the carb. I had to wade back to a very laughing buddy of mine on the shore for the wench cable. Having grown up in Texas right on the gulf coast, I am no stranger to flooded vehicles and new exactly what to do. As soon as we got it out of the water, I took the air cleaner off, drained the res. and poped the spark plug out. I turned it over watching probably a 1/2 quart of water come out of the sparkplug hole. After that, I put the plug back in and we cranked it for probably 10 minutes till the batery died and probably another 5 with the pull start with no luck. Then a very bummed out me got to sit on the back of my 2002 Explorer while it was towed 3 miles home. With starter fluid in hand we went after it, and after about couple minutes it would finally fire up. At first for only about 5 seconds, then for 10 seconds, then it finally started running but I couldn't give it much gas without it stalling. Mean while a steady stream was flowing out of the tailpipe and I knew I was making progress. Finally it let loose and spewed probably a good gallon of water out of the pipe in one shot and it was running normal again. Only other thing was cleaning out the belt housing which managed to trap enough water to keep the belt wet all the time. I guess it drained through the engine into the housing, but I am back in buiness after having the engine completely under water for more than 5 minutes and no engine rebuild [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Matt

Old 10-01-2002 | 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

You missed one important step which may have saved you from being towed. If you flood your machine that badly make sure you stand her up on her back end. This will drain out you exhaust so you'll be able to start her up much easier.

Old 10-01-2002 | 09:48 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Drain all the fluids huds, tranny,and dont forget the counterbalance oil.And it wouldnt hurt to pull the bowl off the carb and spray cleaner in it.I know how you feel I did the same thing about a month ago.Had to do all this at camp.

Old 10-02-2002 | 01:55 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I was about due to change the fluids anyways. I didn't even think to tip it. That's a good idea.

Matt

Old 10-02-2002 | 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

And another tip is,tip it on its side.(gets the water out of belt houseing fast)
Also the KnN filters are great for the water