Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

help with belt on trailboss 325

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 09:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with belt on trailboss 325

My trailboss was pulling harder out of the whole a year ago than it does now. I'm thinking of changing the belt with a new stock belt. Can anyone tell me how to change it or give me any suggestions. I'm also going to put a new set of tires on pretty soon and I'm going to change the belt before I do.

Old 01-31-2003, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

First undo the bolts on the rear mud flap that is hooked to the floor board this makes it easier to remove the cover , then remove the cover try not to damage the rubber gasket on the inside because you can reuse them most of the time but you should have a new one standing by just incase.
Put your bike in neutral on the big round secondary clutch to the rear grab the belt pull toward yourself turrning the secondary clockwize the belt will start to ride on top grab the clutch at 3 and 9 turn it should pop right off reverse the steps too put it back on.

Hope this helps

Old 01-31-2003, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

A belt change is pretty straightforward.

1. Remove the seat & left side plastic panel

2. Remove the 4 bolts that hold down the left footrest.

3. Remove one of the clamps on the rubber connector at the top of the belt housing. It is basically a rubber hose about 4 inches long that connects the removable housing to the belt vent snorkle on the frame. On my Xplorer it was a zip-tie that I just cut with side-cutter pliers and replaced with a new one upon re-assembly.

4. Remove all the bolts that hold on the belt cover. Notice that some are longer than others, and note where they came from. Also, look closely around the outer edge of the belt cover. There may (or may not) be one or two little black metal spring clips holding the two halves together. They are easily pried off with a screwdriver. If the two halves don't seem to seperate easily, and you are sure you got all the bolts, check for a clip.

5. Now, pull outward on the footrest. Notice now, that with a little creative wiggling, you now have enough room to get the outer belt cover off the pulleys, and clear of the machine. Pull just far enough to get the cover out.

6. Put the gear selecter in Hi, and set the parking brake fairly tight, and remove the bolt from the center of the REAR pulley (putting it in gear and setting the brake helps hold the pulley from turning when you try to remove the bolt).

7. Tug sharply (but don't hammer or pry) on the pulley to remove it. It may take a few LIGHT taps with a RUBBER or wooden mallet to bump loose, but it should come off with just 'arm strength'.

8. With the rear pulley off the shaft, you should easily get the belt out & the new one in.

9. Grease the splines on the shaft before you put the rear pulley back (just a little bit on the splines, not so much so any can splatter around & get on the belt)

everything else goes back together opposite the way it came off.

Before you put the cover back on, get out your air hose, and blow all the dust out of everything. Rotate the pulleys around a little, and keep blasting until no more dirt/dust comes out. There is no filter on the belt vents, so dust tends to accumulate in there over time.

Now is also the time to check the buttons in the rear clutch, if you have a lot of miles. Mine went well over 5000 miles, but harsh conditions, especially getting water or mud in the belt housing, makes them wear out faster.

One last note, before you put the belt cover back on, be very sure to check that the gasket is seated properly in its groove, and isn't torn in any way.

Good luck

Farmr

Old 01-31-2003, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! good post farmr123 nice and detailed but diff from the way I do it

Old 01-31-2003, 11:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the machine in gear, lock the brake, then push on the secondary back sheave while turning clockwise. It will open up and the belt will hold it open while you remove it. Then I do the same to put the new belt back on. Bubba

Old 01-31-2003, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys for the help.

Old 01-31-2003, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, you can twist the two halves of the rear clutch against each other enough to open it up and get the belt off, but if you never did it before, or watched it done, it can be a real finger-pincher.
For this reason, I recommend a beginner to just remove the rear pulley, saves the risk.
However, if you are careful of your fingers, the other way IS faster.

Farmr

Old 01-31-2003, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

funny how peoples methods seem to contradict each other. I did one 2 years ago, don't really remember much except that it was wicked easy, took me like 15 minutes to do, and I didn't read any directions. It was very simple. Actually, come to think of it, that was the Scrambler not the Trail Boss. I'm sure it's the same thing or close to it. I bought a belt for the trailboss, but when I pulled the cover off I found that the ugly noise was caused by all the acorns that some mouse had smuggled in the vent tube!

Old 01-31-2003, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Northstar2
I found that the ugly noise was caused by all the acorns that some mouse had smuggled in the vent tube!

LOL !!!!!! I gotta pee