Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of the Polaris Diesel

oh thats interesting that with all the power the belts did not break

Old 03-22-2003, 09:23 PM
Range Rover

originally, when the diesel came out i thought it would be cool to have one just for the fact that in my eyes diesel pikups are the coolest and same fgoes for the CASE-IH tractors out in out shed rite now, so me and my older bro decided to go take a peak at one at the dealer one day and the dealer let me and my bro test drive it for a lil while and our opinions immidiatly hit the floor, lol i was expecting for a little more get up and go or something idk it just didnt seem cool anymore lol and yes it was very S L O W!!! and we was curious why would they make this item, the dealer said they were likely made for Mining out west cuz they arent suppose to use gas engines in the mines becuz of fumes and stuff, but idk it wasnt a machine i would like to own. So that was a few years ago and now my neighbors just recently bought one from a guy for only 3000 dollars including a cycle country snow plow and barely any miles on it and in mint condition and his kids are kinda new to riding so its prob not a bad quad for the money they payed for it, i mean it wud be a snow pushing mother, (IF THIS PART OF IOWA GOT SNOW! lol) well thats just what ive gathered over the years!

Haz!

Old 03-22-2003, 09:41 PM
Range Rover

yeah i have a 2000 ford f350 with the power stroke. that diesel is soooooo cool i put a 4 inch straight pipe on it and a kenworth air filter and a chip. that truck sounds so sweet and it gos 0-60 in like 5 seconds. it is sooo cool. i love it, seeing the duelleys spinning. the other day a little import pulled up next to me with one of those little mufflers on it and started reving his little thing. i started reving with my pipe right in his window. the light turned green and i burned out and at the that little car was in the dust! i slowed down just in time when i saw that cop. man that kid got a ticket of 80 in a 45 zone i bet.! lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2003, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think any diesels would have a lot of miles on it. 1000km would equal 1000 hours?

Old 03-23-2003, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

I don't think any diesels would have a lot of miles on it. 1000km would equal 1000 hours?

Hope that isn't a real ? Kawi650, the diesels are slow but 1km/hr????? Not quite that slow.

Old 03-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

friedenpul The only diesel I seen the guy normally just let it idle alot because it was hard to start... So if you let it idle and an average speed of 5km is what I think the guy told me... it could be possible but unlikely it would be that slow but it would be low. The guy said he left his farm only twice with it.

Old 06-21-2003, 06:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: 74Tx
I was surfing on line last night and i found the Polaris Diesel. i was wondering who made the motor and what it was like.
The engine is made by Fuji, the same company that makes the gasoline engines.

I am the very happy and proud owner of a 1999 Polaris Diesel. I LOVE it. It is slower than most of the gasoline engines, but has MONSTEROUS low-end torque. This thing will pull anything I hook to it as long as it gets traction. I have turned up the rpm's on the engine a little and can go just over 40 mph top speed. I plan a little injector and pump work to add just a little more 'get up and go' power.

As for the drivetrain, it is the same as my friends' 1999 500 and very similar to another friends' new 400. It has the same low/high/reverse transmission and belt drive. Mine is hell on belts because of the low end torque and because I do work it hard, but it will really get down and crawl darn near anywhere!

It is, like any diesel option on just about anything, a little noisier, but overall, it is about the same noise level as the gassers from a distance because the exhaust is quieter. It is certainly quieter than the old two strokes I have heard.

As for hard starting, I have never had any troubles, even down in the teens farenheit. The engine is equipped with a grid heater cold start system (similar to the Cummins 5.9), but is not hooked up unless the option is specified. It is there, but just not wired in unless needed. Mine does not have it hooked up, but I have never had any starting trouble at all. Actually, it is less "cold natured" than the gasoline engines. Due to the need for a bigger starter to spin the high compression engine, the diesel also has two batteries (wired parallel 12 volt) which is also great for running the winch.

Just like pickups, a diesel is not for everyone, but if you want an ultra fuel efficient and high torque, pulling workhorse, the diesel is a superior choice. Plus, it is every bit as fun to ride as the gassers with just a little tweaking. :-)

Old 06-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

So when your gonna post some pics of that monster?! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-22-2003, 02:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have some pictures of all my diesel toys on the digital camera and will post the link to my aol web page with them as soon as I get it set up. I am also a member of the Turbo Diesel Register (Dodge/Cummins) forum site which is where I first heard of this site... so please bear with a new member who is new to this site, but certainly not to ATVing. As soon as I get the pics on there I'll put a post on here.
Any of yall who have any questions about the Polaris Diesel, feel free to ask. I am still learning about this machine, but have quite a background of diesel knowledge and I bought a service manual for the ATV to answer my technical questions. More to come, including the pics!
John

Old 06-22-2003, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

polaris diesel... this is what a polaris dealer had to say about it

" its slower than molasas on a cold day, but can pull a house if needed"