Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

POST-MUDDIN' CLEAN UP

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2000, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a new Xpedition 425 (and love it)!!! Manual recommends cleaning brakes and bearings "following submersion in mud / water". How thoroughly do you guys clean your quads following a day of muddin'? Do you go as far as pulling the wheels off to clean brakes/bearings?
Thanks

Old 04-24-2000, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

I have the xpedition 425 cc also. I wash my atv down with a hose with a power nosle and wash every part of the atv. I get the hose under neath any where and every where I can. I try to get every grain of mud off the machine if possible. I use warm water and sponge with soap on the plastics and everything on the outside part of the atv. I guess what I'm saying is that I wash the heck out of it. rangerchet....

Old 04-24-2000, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a powerful powerwasher to spray my 00 Xplorer off.The manuel says not to use it,but I have been riding three and four wheelers since 1983 and have never had a problem because I power washed my ATVs.I than towel dry it.The quad than gets a complete spraying down with ''DO ALL''.It is much better than Armour All,and lasts much longer.I NEVER put any of my machines up dirty,and that even includes my log splitter.If I have been mudding,than I remove the tires and spray down the pads.I than use compressed air to blow dry the pads.You can do this without removing the pads to.===BILL

Old 04-24-2000, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

I use soap & water with the high pressure water nozzle. Then I use the yard blower ( 200 MPH, It makes quick work of it ) to blow off all of the beaded water, then use a towel.
Then I armor all or son of a gun the underside of the fenders and all of the tires and rubber components and let it sit for a little while. Then ride it a few minutes to boil off any water on the engine and to dry out the brakes.
Hope that helps.

Old 04-24-2000, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

What is "Clean Up"?... WHere do you buy Clean up at? Does it come in different flavors?

Old 04-25-2000, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

Before i go riding i take Spray silicone and spray my entire quad motor fenders especially the rad mud does not stick to silicone and it makes foer a very easy clean up also i have used Baby oil it also works great when i put it away i spray it down with formula 2001 With urathane this works awsome makes them look like new !!!!!!

Old 04-27-2000, 11:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey i have a XPEDITION 425 but i dont wash it down. what will happen if i dont?

Old 04-28-2000, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

Its hard to answer that question exactly but think
of it this way. When you jack up your atv and crawl underneath to grease it. How do you like all that dirt and mud? Or if you bring it in, do you think they like all that mud. Machanical parts work better when they are clean. Less chance of dirt getting into the carb. or air intake. Atv looks much better. Especially if you shine it up with something after washing. Half the fun of owning an atv is after getting it filthy dirty is the fun of cleaning it so you can go do it again. Since the 425 has a raidiator, sort of. All that mud on the radiator can cause it to not function and can overheat your atv. That would be your fault, not polaris's fault.

rangerchet, polaris xpedition 425 cc 5-speed.

I was at heininen and mason polaris dealer in osseo, minnesota the other day. Where I bought mine. They finally put together a red xpedition 425 cc 5-speed. Mine is the brown one. Chestnut color I think its called.

Old 04-28-2000, 12:00 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

If you ride in deep water put a shot of grease in all the filling including the swingarm bushings after each swim (ride).
I ride in deep water and repack my wheel bearings and install new oil seals on the hub semi annually and have had no problems. I clean after every mud ridewith a water hose. My atv is a 93 and no problems so I must be doing something right.