Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

4 wheels or 2 Wheels, which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheels or 2 Wheels, which is better?

Whats the benefits of a Dirt bike, and an Atv. And once and for all Whats better to ride the dunes with???????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Trailblazer

Dirtbikes are lighter weight , have a bit more clearance than a sportquad, can usually take off the line faster, better for jumping and freestyle. Now saying all that Id rather have a sportquad. You can do donuts, ride wheelies better, less people do MX or Freestyle with sportquads, everyone owns a dirtbike, sportquads can be modified alot more and will go faster than a dirtbike.

Old 07-21-2003, 11:38 AM
Range Rover

If you ride dunese, ATV's are way more fun. Big tires just work better in sand and loose dirt. Bikes are more fun on MX tracks, because you can launch such big air. Quads just don't have the suspension that a stock dirt bike does. With a few grand in suspension upgrades jumping quads becomes a little softer. Bikes are cheaper, and break less, but have fewer uses. All in all I love toys with big motors......

Old 07-21-2003, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

You could buy yourself a Predator. You won't need to spend a couple of grand for a great suspension, it already has one. Take that money, modify it, and you'll have a fine riding monster on your hands.

Old 07-21-2003, 12:38 PM
Range Rover

Hey - I love two wheels on the trails. You don't really have to look at the terrain - just hit the gas and go. On my ATC and ATV's, you sort of have to watch where you're going. For instance, in a heavily wash boarded section, you have to pick and choose your line on a 3 or 4 wheeler.. When I rode CR's, I would have just gunned it. You can get where you want to go alot faster on two wheels (as long as it isn't in the dunes!). I rode sand washes in johnson valley on my CR to practice riding in sand. It is very difficult on two wheels. I had a friend with a quad who looked like he was having much more fun! Then when we hit the trails - he would just eat my dust...

One more thing - try to do a donut on a CR... Not nearly as easy as on an ATC.. or a quad..

I think it all depends on what you want to do - your personal preferences.

For dunes - get an R.. ATC or Quad.. It's light, agile, and provides a very nice roost. Those other bikes (Vforce, Predator, Raptor, etc). are freakin' tanks!

And the guy who said sportquads are faster than two wheelers - Are you really sure about that? Have you ever ridden/raced a CR500 or KX500? I rode a CR500 for a while.. No quad could touch me across soggy dry lake except one time a quadzilla came close.. Now this was before really big bore four strokes (1997ish), but I don't know if there are any stock quads nowadays that can beat them...

Old 07-21-2003, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

I think it all depends on what you want to do - your personal preferences.

For dunes - get an R.. ATC or Quad.. It's light, agile, and provides a very nice roost. Those other bikes (Vforce, Predator, Raptor, etc). are freakin' tanks!

And the guy who said sportquads are faster than two wheelers - Are you really sure about that? Have you ever ridden/raced a CR500 or KX500? I rode a CR500 for a while.. No quad could touch me across soggy dry lake except one time a quadzilla came close.. Now this was before really big bore four strokes (1997ish), but I don't know if there are any stock quads nowadays that can beat them...

amen... especially on the get an R part. Those who underestimate Rs are just missing out. Everything that comes out is allways compared to the R....

yeah, stock vs stock i dont think a sport quad will outrun a respectable dirtbike. thats picking a fight that you will most probably get spanked. mod vs. mod i dont think you have a chance either. even modded sport quad vs. stock dirtbike. i really doubt a sport quad will be faster.

Old 07-21-2003, 01:14 PM
Trailblazer

U just sold my bike last night to buy my second quad. I like the quads better because dirt bikes bite it in the sand and even a bit in the snow. I prefere a quad on tight and slow trails because you don't have to put your feet down all of the time. Every one is right aabout bikes being easier to jump and ride mx, but thats one thing you'd have to not do as much unless your really good. Another thing, quads are just more appealing to look at. You never see dirt bikes with tones of billet aluminum or chrome and custom paint or huge mud tiries and lift kits. Dirt bikes all look the same.

Old 07-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

If you can stand to ride a dirt bike in the sand, a 500 2 stroke will put a whippin on all but the most modified ATV's. Rode around on a CR 500 with pipe and paddle at St Anthony, God it was a beast. Tiring to ride though.