Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

New Sport Quad For Me???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2000, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I have a 1995 Warrior which I bought second hand and it has been nothing but trouble and although it was cheap it isn't worth owning anymore, and I want to sell it. I'm thinking about getting a Banshee and defiantely want a 2-stroke but I was wondering if Banshees have a overdrive or Powerband like my friend's CR 250. If anyone has any other ideas about which quad to purchase I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Bubba

Old 07-05-2000, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

banshee are nothing but dunes quads. for mx they suck, flatrack pretty good. get a 250r they rule everywhere

Old 07-06-2000, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

banshees a great everywhere you want to ride them, provided they are ridden properly. the guy that posted above is pretty clueless. have fun...

Old 07-06-2000, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

i have ridden banshee in alot of different places, dunes, trails, mx, flattrack, the only place i thought thewy where really good was dunes, and maybe flattrack, trails they have to much torque with the powerband, mx, their to heavy, . i would take my 400ex(good for i think everything, or a 250r which i someday hope to own

Old 07-09-2000, 05:04 AM
Pro Rider

But most importantly, the frame geometry absolutely sucks on a Banshee.

Old 07-09-2000, 07:02 AM
Pro Rider

Overdrive Bubba? That reminds me of a really ridiculous story. When I was younger (about 10 years old) one of my neighbors got a late 70's yz 125. Anyway, he was discussing how cool the bike was, describing to me how "when the powerbelt kicked in, the thing really took off." He then proceeded to point out about where physically it was on the bike, if my memory serves me correctly I think he pointed to the yellow plasic cover where the air filter was housed. Of course I had no idea at the time that a "powerbelt" did not exist. In fact, it was a couple years later that I finally discovered that there was no such thing as a "powerbelt," but rather, a powerband. Further, there was no physical device creating this "turbo" feature, but rather it was the exhaust pipe's dimensions (and porting, etc.) causing the backpressure needed to give the bike extra air/fuel at a certain rpm range.

Bubba, that's why your friend's bike's exhaust header looks like a chicken drumstick; has a big bulge by the motor, slowly tapering off. It causes enough backpressure at a certain rpm range to force some of the unburnt fuel back into the cylinder; this, along with the fuel from your carb, causes a boost, cause there's more fuel to burn, plus with the extra stuff in your cylinder - you have more compression.

Now, every motor has a powerband - its just the measure or ratio of horsepower to rpms. Some powerbands are really flat, you wouldn't really feel any "boost" as your motor increased in rpms, but you would have steady power. Some powerbands spike on a graph, in the real world this would equate to your friend's cr. You might not have too much power in low rmps, but maybe at 5000 rmps it would increase quickly in horsepower making it feel like "turbo." That turbo feeling is when the motor is experiencing the backpressure occuring. With the banshee, you will have a similar powerband to your friend's cr, although it might not be quite as hard hitting - unless you repipe.

Old 07-10-2000, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

and how the hell does that translate to everyday riding?! the banshee is a great machine, when it's ridden properly.

i would rather take my banshee out and jump, corner, flat track, etc. rather than sit around with a protractor analyzing it's frame geometry...

Old 07-10-2000, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

....the banshee is heavy?

doesn't that 400ex weight about the same? i though they were pretty comparable in weight.

Old 07-10-2000, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

according to the yahmaha site the banshee weighs 386 and the 400ex weighs 374 so its pretty close. but not close enough go with the 400ex

Old 07-10-2000, 04:54 PM
guy
Range Rover

Wow a whole 12 pounds! Who cares, for racing I would take the Banshee over anything. But for all around riding I would definately go with the 400ex because it is more versataile.

Quick Reply: New Sport Quad For Me???