Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

getting pulled over by the cops for riding on the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting pulled over by the cops for riding on the road

LMAFO! robnhouston is right though, it is like impossible to get away with anything these days.

Old 01-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Just a minute. What about all those old folk who buy one of those four wheel scooters? They need no safety equipment, no licensure, no training, no registration, insurance, you name it. They can just buy the thing, crawl on and go anywhere they want, right out into traffic causing cars to swerve to avoid them. Many of the operators are not quite with it in the head. Sure, lets be kind and respectful of the elders, but be honest, some of them are getting a bit addled, and make the most unpredictable moves on these things.
Police seem to take no notice at all, as though these things are ghosts or just don't exist.
Yet the same cops will jump with both feet down on a recreational quad rider who is quietly and carefully making his way to a back road to go riding, and out comes the ticket book and the cop's imagination goes into high gear dreaming up which violations of motor vehicle code can be made to apply.

Whats' up with this?

True, you don't see grams wheelying down the street, but you do see her popping out unannounced from a sidewalk into traffic, causing panic stops and radical evasive maneuvers in drivers, endangering others. Why don't cops seem to give a hoot about this?

Why the attention to ATV's?

Old 01-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer

Because of the tree loving liberals. Granny is good. ATVs are evil, land ruining, punk riding vehicles... errr I mean atvs are bad.

Old 01-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Dude... they deserve it.... they worked their whole lives for this nation and they are the way they are now because of that... and some day we will be too, then you'll be sayin the exact opposite of what ur saying now.

Old 01-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had 5 run ins with the cops, 2 times the cop was cool, i was on my Atc 185s with no helmet and my friend on the back, another time the guy told us to get off it an followed us as we pushed it back to my friends house a half mile away, another time the cop impounded my 3 wheeler and my friends quad and the last time i was on my Z400 and was comin out of a side street next to my house and a cop just happened to be driving down the road and he stopped right in front of my blocking my driveway and screamed at me. Around here they will be somewhat leinient if u are insured and registered but if ur not ur quad is gettin impounded, and sometimes even if it is insured and registered they will still impound it

Old 01-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

Quote:
... Dude... they deserve it.... they worked their whole lives for this nation and they are the way they are now because of that... and some day we will be too, then you'll be sayin the exact opposite of what ur saying now. ..

You're missing the point. Do you really think that the operators of scooters are all saints? Do you think they all spent their lives devoted to 'building a great nation' or might some have been selfish unlikable people all their lives? You cannot know, and criminals get old too. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the elderly (And not all scooter operators are elderly by a long shot) and assume that they deserve my deference and respect, so in default, I give it.

My point is that people seem to be able to operate these unlicensed or regulated scooters without any sort of accountability in the most insane manner sometimes, while ATV riders seem to act on police as a red cape acts on a bull.

It doesn't matter if it's Pope Paul II or Osama on the scooter, why the double standard for four wheeled vehicles? If the scooters can operate in a manner that causes hazards to themselves and others and not be called to account, while an ATV rider trying to slip away to a favorite riding trail and causing no danger to anyone is stopped and issued citations, do you think that is proper?

Old 01-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Old wise one have you ever heard of a police radio? Or perhaps a police helicopter? Maybe the words..."called for backup". Remember the cop is getting paid to track you down if you run from them all the while your Mommy's calling because your late for dinner and you have to take a bath because tomorrow is a school day. Did you finish that book report???
polease radoi? What's that? Of coarse I know what a police radio is but by the time the cops got back up I would be long gone. All the back up a cop could get in this county wouldn't be able to cover every trail entrance around here. I also carry a cell phone while riding. I could just give my mom a call and say I am at a friends until the coast is clear. Hellycoptur? Not two shure bout that there on eether. Do you really think that a police helicopter would be used to find a person that did nothing compared to real criminals that are killing people and robbing banks? rhetorical question. Do I have to tell you what that one means Rob?

Old 01-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

I just have a quick question... and this has nothing to do with anything, but I'm just wondering... roosthrower, how old are you? And dont lie, I just would like to know.

Old 01-13-2004, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

to thrash: yea country roads they still try and nail you. To everybody else they probably wont have helicopters and if you have trails close by a radio wont help the cops but if they are chasing you stop. if you see them and dust them thats different but once you lost your dusting oportunuty playing a game of wits with the cops is a bad idea cause most the time they just impound or ticket or push home but if you do get pulled over your gonna get everything plus arrested for persuit trust me think about it

Old 01-13-2004, 01:40 AM
Quad Patrol

I've read a few forums where people think that they have a right to ride a all terrain vehicle on a public road way. There is a big difference between a person riding a lark or four wheel scooter to the grocery store or anywhere else for that matter. This vehicle has a small electric motor that will not even get close to an atv as far as speed. They do go slow and some of the operators do deserve a ticket for impeding traffic. But, all you have to do is look at some of the discussion on this forum on "how fast my quad will go" or "what can I do to get more power and speed out of my quad". As much as you try and portray yourself as I'm justing going down the street to my riding area" In reality, it's just not a leasurely ride. ATV's don't belong on the roadway with cars and trucks.

How many people do you know or heard that have had their quads stolen? Do you think the scum bags that stole that quad are down at your local ohv park riding? No, they are tearing it up, riding just like the majority of you on the roadways. Not stopping when the local law enforcement or "Barney Fife" (as some of you want to call them) try to pull you over, I've made arrests for possession of stolen quads, possession of stolen property, drugs, drug lab dumps etc. All because of people riding their atv on public roads. So, as you can see, theres more to stopping atvs, then just for the "joy of it". And yes where I live and work, we take it seriously and you just might have a helicopter or airplane following you. Remember, you can't out run a Motorola. Everyone's number come's up sooner or later. I just hope that while you decide you may out run us, no one innocent gets hurt because of your stupidity.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
GROW UP AND RIDE RESPONSIBLY, EARN RESPECT DON'T DEMAND IT!!!!!

Quick Reply: getting pulled over by the cops for riding on the road