Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

'01 Quadmaster popping out of 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Quadmaster popping out of 4wd

Last couple times I was riding my Quadmaster 500 in deeper snow, I was reving it pretty hard and moving pretty slow, but it started to pop in and out of 4wd. Seemed to get worse the more I rode.

Can anyone provide input on troubleshooting???

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

My brother has a 00 Quadmaster and this was happening to him,,, you have the manual shift for four wheel drive right??
follow the cable from the shift **** all the way down to where it attaches,,,,his cable was binding up and pushing it out of four wheel drive...

Old 03-19-2004, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the exact thing happen to me. First thing I checked was the cable and it was not the problem. Anybody have any other ideas?

Old 02-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm still having this problem - I've adjusted the cable to the diff case, and I even adusted the linkage (splined shaft) one notch - it's still pops out of 4wd on snow, mud or ice. Can anyone help?

Old 01-20-2008, 02:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

A year later and still having the same issue. When driving under load, plowing, it clunks often from the front wheels slipping in and out of 4 wheel drive.

When riding on the ice, when the revs get up, it will come out of 4wd, and when the revs drop back down, it will clunk back down in to 4wd.

It's getting worse.

Can anyone help?????

I don't know if I should tear into the front diff myself, take it to a dealer (big $$$), or sell it as is.

Please help

Old 01-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Your diff. is prob. full of sludge. The engagement for your FWD is a gear that slides back and forth on a steel shaft. If your diff. is full of sludge the gear doesn't slide all the way into position and the gears don't mesh properly. I'v had this happen to my wheeler a couple of times when I used to mud alot. You might get by with draining the diff. oil and flushing it out with some type of cleaner, but I had to take the diff. completly apart and clean all the componants by hand. You will need to put all new seals in it if you have to go that route. Good Luck

Old 01-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the response!

So do you think it is the bevel gears that are not fully engaging? Or diff and dog gear? So do you think the shift fork and cam that are sludged up? Do you think any adjustment at the cam shift lever where it goes into the differential will help?

I did change the fluid last year. The old fluid didn't look to bad, but it did seem to help maybe just a little bit with a fluid change.

Thanks for the input!

Old 01-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is a dog gear mounted in a spring loaded shifting fork that slides back and fourth on a steel shaft that engauges and disengauges the FWD function. There is no adjustment as far as I know. You should try the easiest thing first by draining your diff. oil and replacing it with some type of HD cleaner. Drive it for a couple of miles, shifting in and out of FWD often, then drain and fill back up with diff. oil. If that doesn't work you'll prob. have to tear into your diff.