Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

problem with neighbors

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 05:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with neighbors

Heres a good one,we have had a lot of calls on me and my friends for riding our quads down the street to the trails.Well one day,this cop stops and comes back into the trails and tells us if he catches us on the road again he'll impound our quads.I said,thats fine officer i understand and they will never be on the road again. So i asked the officer if me and my friendcould take them home just for today on the road,cause we are already there and have no truck.He said it was no problem,and that if anyone else stops us,tell them detective humphrey said it was ok just for today,So on the way home,a cop stops us and says hes going to impound our quads,i tell him detective humphrey says its ok for today. So he calls detective humphrey on the radio and asks if this was true,AND I SWEAR TO GOD I HEARD IT WITH MY OWN EARS----detective humphrey said he never said we could ride them home. SO the friggin cop wrote us both tickets for 150 dollars a piece,and made us push our quads about a 1/2 mile home!!!!!! What A BUNCH OF FRIGGIN JERKS!!!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

aren't they!? The cops in my town are real pr!ckes there's this one been here a whiel tho... there was a complain a few months ago about me riding in my neighbors yard(i have permission). It was from a couple remodeling their house a block away. you can't hear my quad a block away unless i get on it pretty hard... which i wasn't planning on doing neway just practicing wheelies [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. ok well the cop was up the road i na service alley and he saw me come out form between two houses go through my yard down about 20 ft of sidewalk and into my garage [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and all he said was not the ride my quad after 6( it was about 6 30) next day i was riding again but at like 4 and he came over and said( same cop let me remind ya ) that he would fine me for riding if he gets anymore complaints...

Old 09-28-2004, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Sounds on the surface that your family has been having problems with the neighbor for a long time, and this is just another in a long list of "Issues" that the two of you have dealt with. I'd hesitate to draw attention to the sport of riding an ATV as the root cause... although it certainly provides the fuel for the most recent outbursts. Let me comment on a few things here. First of all, the people suggesting pay backs etc... are just plain wrong, and I think what you are dealing with today is a direct result of the escalation of hostilities between the two of you.

I can see his point in some cases.. you obviously had noise/sound in mind when you put the FMF pipe on the quad. I am sure it pisses the guy off.

I don't condone violence, and it sounds like when he touched you, he committed a criminal act that could have had serious consequences. But time has passed on that one.... This does not mean you should go around provoking the guy so you can make a new claim. That is STUPID and could land you in more trouble, and possibly end up dead... as it sounds like this person is not exactly stable...

Going out of your way to not provoke the guy is probably the only thing you can do at this point short of moving. The neighbor obviously has a lot of anger in side, and it doesn't make sense to have him focus that on you. You might try asking the farmer if you can store the quads on his property... that way you will not have to go by the guy's house on your way to ride. Maybe build a small shed etc.

You don't mention just how close your riding comes to the bad guy's property. If it is close to his house, he may be justified in his anger. He also may be a night shift worker, and sleeps during the day... certainly there are other things that come to play here...

I guess the bottom line is that you are painting a picture and only giving us half of the story at best... and I think it is improper for us to take your side until we have all the facts. If you want sympathy.. this is not the place to find it.

And lastly, being only 14 puts you in a very poor position when it comes to attitude and experience. In your lifetime, you will find a lot of people like this guy.. and you are going to have to find ways of dealing with them in an adult manner. Certainly that hasn't occurred yet. Sometimes you find that situations can't all be resolved... at least not the way you want them to turn out.... You just have to learn when to walk away.. because there will be some issues you just can't resolve.

Please don't take this as personal attack from an old guy against a kid... this is hard won experience talking... you can either learn from it, or blow it off... it doesn't matter to me.... But know that I wish you good luck in finding some common ground with the guy. All I ask, and a lot of others on this list as well, is that you deal with him as two people... Not as a youth on an ATV... all that does is paint another bad picture of ATV riders and gives guys like your neighbor more fuel for their fires.. .and it hurts us all in the end. Just remember that in a pissing contest, there are no winners or losers, just a bunch of wet guys that smell bad....

Lastly... it has been my experience that it is never a good idea to put law enforcement in between a cat fight. It is unfair to them, and both warring parties usually lose in the end... They are paid to keep the peace... if that means locking up both sides and letting a judge decide who is right and who is wrong.. their mission is complete. And beleive me, at 14, you do not want to go into a courtroom and make acusations against an adult without having a lot of documentation and witnesses to back it up.... judging by the louder pipes,and riding on the road to get to the fields, I'd say you are already on shaky ground. Judges are funny about upholding the letter of the law.... they are not the nice guy cop on the street that says it is OK to do something... they are bound to follow the LAWS and you are not able to question their opinions.

Old 09-28-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

Well..........If yuo takl lke yuo wrtei thy probly cnat undrestnda yuo, so...........I would try hooked on phonics and then maybe try going to talk to them again. Hope this helps. Nah, just kiddin the hell with them. They'll give up eventually.

Old 09-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Range Rover

u cant here my quad from inside their house wen im warming it up i can barly here it in my house wen i have it just outside of my garage so they cant hear it. and you deffinitly cant here my z. they just overreact to evrything

Old 09-28-2004, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

i had the same problem with people up at my grandmas house. she lives out in the bush where there are 20 people on the road (7 of wich are great uncles that drive 4x4's) one summer, this family buys a pice of land and they build a house on it. it took them almost till the snow came to build this house. they all have snowmachines and during the winter, you could hear them going back and forth down the road. i was like whatever, that just means that they wont mind me going on the road. so, the summer comes and i go from my grandmas to our sandpit with a couple of my great uncles. i was riding my old warrior at the time. so we play around in the pit for a bit, until the cops show up. so i went up to them and i was like hows it goin? this is how the cops responded to that, "turn you quad off and hand me the key NOW! we had a complaint about some guy on a 1999 warrior flying down the road doing 120 kph (but 65-70 mph), so we are taking your quad and impounding it." at this point my uncles are there and my uncle jim said to the cop, "Johney hows it goin, whats goin on here? so the cop told him what the complaint was. so my uncle jim told him that we were all riding together at about 40 kph and that my quad couldnt do 120 unless i had a wicked tail wind. so the cop appoligized and he told us what family did it. low and behold it was the new family. so, what one of my uncles did was he put up no truspassing signs on his pit. now when ever he or n e one else sees them riding in it, we call the cops and they have to push there quad home with the cops fallowing in there cruzers. aint it grand?

Old 09-28-2004, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

PEOPLE YOU HEAR BUT YOU DO NOT LISTEN. Dragginbutt thankyou. I for one am tired of cops being made out to be the bad guys here, If you play with the bull then you had better prepare for the horn. Also sounds travel and bounce off of things. You can't hear your bike because it is in the garage probably projecting the exhaust tones towards tour neighbors front window. Instead of continuing to complain about your problem why don't you try a few of the suggestions that were given to you by dragginbutt and myself. Also try swallowing your pride and ask to discuss the issue with the neighbor. I trully wish you the best and don't listen to the idiots on here that are lacking more than just maturity.

Old 09-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

"lacking more than matuity"?!?!?!?!
I think you mean maturity. What is it with people and there spelling and grammar on here. You want someone to listen to you and take you serious, don't sound like a 12 year old. I don't think cops are the bad guys. The kid has permission to ride where he's riding. I do agree though, it would be better to work it out with your neihbors instead of just pissing them off.

Old 09-28-2004, 06:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neighbors has a "g" in it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

If you read between the lines, they seem to have been going at it for at least 6 years if I read it right... I'd bet longer.. so I doubt either will move away or leave each other alone... the guy may die of old age first. The ATV is really not the issue here, next, when the kid turns 16 and gets a car, this old guy is going to be using that as a target of his rage. I'd put a locking gas cap on it for sure if I were you.

The sad thing is that in many cases, people are just so unhappy that they just have to vent their feelings on others. I think this is probably the case with the neighbor. They just can't stand to see others enjoy themselves... and because the kid is young, he feels he can bully him. I'd sure question his sanity too... this guy sounds like he is not all there, and that makes him doubly dangerous.

The kid doesn't say anything about what sort of involvement his parents have had in this whole litany of issues. Seems to me, there should have been some involvement.. but that is just my thoughts... I know one thing though, a 14 year old doesn't stand a chance against a guy like this.. and taking matters into your own hands is the makings of a disaster.. which will probably end up with someone dead and the other in jail. Neither of which I want on my conscience.

The only reason a few of us are even taking the time to give advice is because we probably have been in your shoes before, and we recognise that this situation is no joking matter. I can't over emphasize the fact that this guy sounds dangerous... and even though I do not know you, something way down deep tells me that I should at least try and help you in your situation... I hate reading statistics in the OBITUARIES. Those of you that think it is a joke, need to grow up and realize the effect you may have on someone's life...when doling out wild west cowboy mentality advice...

I don't know what the answer is going to be... but what ever you do, make sure you are on the right side of the law. Two wrongs never make a right my Grandma used to say.... sound advice from a wize old girl to a young pup...

Quick Reply: problem with neighbors