Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Will a carboretor change help power the KQ's 280 cc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2000, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe some of you guys have already tried getting more power from your King Quad's power plant. I have too. But I don't care to go fast. I would like to get more low end power. Short of buying another quad with a bigger engine, I've decided, this KQ works fine for me. The only problems I have is:
1) The engine boggs down when climbing some of the hills here at home.
2) I know of at least one trail in Michigan, that will run your engine hot before you can finish the route.
So, my friend, Bill Ciliberti and I are still kickin' this power thing around. I think a carboretor change might help. Bill, says I'm wastin' my $$$ "Buy a bigger machine if you want to keep up." I think there's still a little power left at the bottom (of a KQ 300), that may get the little sucker over the hump.
A new carboretor may be just the trick. If you go to the "Utility Vehicles Post", you will see a post by "justingold", King Quad or Rancher. Read my post there to get you up to speed. Did anybody try changing the carb on your KQ 300 cc? If so, what carb did you go to and how did it affect the performance? And if anybody out there has some technical experience with the pros and cons here, please add your notes too.
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 09-10-2000, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must agree with Bill Ciliberti, although I find this situation painful! (hehehehehe).

My answer to your question is, "No."

A larger carburetor can only help if your engine is extensively modified to process greater quantities of fuel/air mixture; by radical camming (permitting higher rpm operation), low-back-pressure/scavenging exhaust, porting/polishing, boring/stroking increasing displacement, supercharger/turbocharger, etc.

The stock carburetor is about optimum for a stock engine; increasing carb size may in fact compromise low-speed operation, when insufficient airflow exists to atomize fuel properly . . .

I'm surprised you can't make those hills with all the gearing versatility the KQ has; three ranges and a locking front end, for goodness' sake! Do you mean the KQ, in first gear and super low range, bogs down on hills you attempt? Mighty steep hills!

Bill's essentially correct; as they used to say at the drag strip, "The only substitute for cubic inches is: More cubic inches!"

Unless you're willing to spend the "cubic money" hopping up your KQ (and you'd compromise its reliability if you did), you're better off trading it in for a 500 cc Quadrunner or Quadmaster; or, as I'm sure Bill counsels, a 500 cc Polaris!

Tree Farmer

Old 09-10-2000, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer,
The hill that Ecorman is telling you about is in the northern part of our State.It is long,twisty,and very loose packed.To conquer a hill of this magnitude,a quad has got to have a certain level of ''wheel speed''and traction.

The gear versatility of the KQ has no advantage on this hill.If he starts in a higher gear,than he runs out of power[bogged].If he starts in a lower gear,he simple cannot develope enough wheel speed to conquer this hill.The KQ never bogged in the lower ranges either,however,there was no wheel speed.In the lower range,he gets 80% the way up the hill,and the wheels sit and spin helplessly.

The larger,500cc Sportsman drove right up,as did the 450cc Honda Forman.No substitution for CCs.

The KQ will probably pull a house in super low range/first gear/diff lock,however,there is NO wheel speed.Wheel speed and traction is what gets you to the top of this hill.On flat ground,this combination is a great set up,probably one of the best pullers around to,just as long as you can keep up the traction.

I would never try to convince Ecorman to buy a 500cc Polaris,he has his own individule liking,I have mine,besides,I dont own the Sportsman anymore,I own a 00 Xplorer.===Bill

Old 09-10-2000, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the clarification, Bill.

Having ridden coal field tailings piles, basically hills up to hundreds of feet tall, consisting only of loose, unconsolidated shale fragments, I'm beginning to understand.

I approached these slopes with what I considered to be a appropriate gear at adequate speed and engine rpm. At first, so far, so good. However, near the summit, as momentum and wheel speed decayed, I found, SURPRISE! The quad would slow down, stop, and the wheels would begin digging their way to China. The quad would be stranded on a long, steep slope; unable to progress either forward or backward on its own power; although: if the hill were rock or dirt or maybe even mud, the quad should climb a slope of that angle with no problem.

I can see where ecorman1 would need sufficient power to develop enough momentum/wheel speed to make it up a loose gravel hill like you describe; the King Quad's extensive gearing menu notwithstanding.

Tree Farmer

Old 09-11-2000, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer and Bill, I do value your comments but certainly wish you two would give some of my customers a chance to come up with some beef before you kill this idea. :0)
When you two start talkin', it's like E.F. Hutton! There may be some pretty good ideas out there about what happened when somebody tried this carburetor change or some other ideas about what works... So I'd appreciate it if you two would sit tight and lets see what comes outta the hole thing... Thank you.
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 09-11-2000, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

My apologies, ecorman1! My previous post addressed the general situation of installing a larger carburetor on a stock engine; the King Quad may be uniquely responsive to transplanting a larger carburetor. I certainly didn't intend to discourage anyone from posting specific experience contradicting my general experience; in fact, I welcome and encourage it; I learn a lot from the Forum. Best wishes on hopping up your KQ, I'm sure you'll recieve inputs from KQ riders who've actually "been there, done that."

Tree Farmer

Old 09-11-2000, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I probably should not be getting into this BUT....
I have posted before talking about a sluggish 250 quadrunner and what I could do to pick it up. What I got was,that there is nothing wrong with it and learn how to use the gear system in it. Even when I went to the dealer the service manager told me he owns one and it runs fine. This is all well and good but my machine needed something and seems no one thinks I know anything. So after going over it with the dealer himself he put the ace machanic on it. Five foot later he said the clutch was so out of wack it's a wonder I could even get it on the trailer. Big time differance now. I can even make it over hills with out going through ever gear in the the thing. I guess what Im saying here is don't shoot some one down with out giving them a chance.

Old 09-11-2000, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Ecorman,
Never intended to kill this hop up idea,however,im in full aggreement with Tree Farmer on the larger carburetor Idea.

Without internal engine mods,I fear the carb idea on a small 280cc engine wont work.I could be wrong and invite anyone with additional information to share it with us...Bill

Old 09-11-2000, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

any one every put any thought into trying a 2 stroke 38mm minkuni carb off of a jetski, im sure there is probs with this idea but im not into doin stuff like this but its just an idea

Old 09-11-2000, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

38mm carb is way to much for a stock KQ.==Bill

Quick Reply: Will a carboretor change help power the KQ's 280 cc.