Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Hows the Vinson 500's utility side?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Sog
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hows the Vinson 500's utility side?

New to atv's. Looking to purchase one. Need some experienced advice/input (i'm getting lost in the sea of "my quads the best!")

Primary use (how I can justify the purchase): mowing and hauling trailer filled with firewood on sloped uneven terrain. My tractor is to tippy.

Secondary use (growing more important as my excitement level rises thinking about owning my own quad!): trail riding.

Originally I was focused on the traxter because I've read they are awesome work machines. But I would prefer to not have a one dimensional atv. Being new to quads I have no idea if I'll get hooked on the sporting side of there abilities but I want to leave my options open (couple of friends of mine have sports quads and I can see myself getting into riding with them).

My question is can the Vinson (thinking about going manual) handle the utility side? Is it prone to overheating at low speeds in the sun? It doesn't have the weight of a traxter. Do you forsee this as a problem pulling loads uphill?

Thankyou for any input. I'm going crazy trying to make my final decision [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Atv's aren't cheep and I would imagine there resale value isn't that good. I have to get it right the first time!

Old 04-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Well I have a Vinny manual w/ currently 62 miles on the odo, so I don't have a wealth of experience but this is what I do know. Second day I had it my riding bro and myself went back on the hills to get some rock for a flower garden. Well I pulled a little utility trailer loaded down w/ heavy stone up hills and through mud holes. It's performance really impressed me. Mind you I kept it in low range but it pulled as if the trailer wasn't even there. I personally think the vinson will definitely handle the utility duties you throw at it, but keep in mind it's more sport than utility. This really becomes apparent when your blasting down the pipe lines. I highly recommend the Vinson, but I myself am a new Vinson owner and I can feel myself being overcome w/ the my bikes the best cause it's mind syndrome. If you want a sport bike in utilities clothing, but still need to prove to your family you can work w/ it, then get it. Just go make sure you sit on one and move it through full steering range and make sure it's comfortable to you. Good luck w/ whatever you decide. Yes I have a manual, and I wouldn't change it, well except when your in deep goo and you have to shift [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Oh, I've never had any heating issues, but haven't had it out in 90+ degree weather. The radiator does a fabulous job of keeping everything cool, just remember if you bury it up in mud to wash it out.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Sog
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input MeYHymN! It means alot to me to finally hear some hands on experience.

How noisy is the Vinson in low first? Will I be waking the neighbors or is it reasonably quiet while in "putt" mode?

Old 04-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

I ride w/ two Honda 300 fourtrax's (96 and 97 models). My bike is quieter than either one of those bikes, well unless your WOT [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Low range isn't any noisier than High range, although it has a slight wuurr to it. Similar to the difference between high and low range in a full size truck (it's very slight and the only time you really hear it over the engine is when your in 1st going down a steep incline). If/when you get the cash together dealers are all the more happy to let you test ride one (I didn't actually get to take a test ride until I threw the cash on the dealers desk). It may only be in the parking lot but you'll get to hear for yourself, of course if you have friendlier dealers around your area they may let you hop on one anyway.

Old 04-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Sog
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again MeYHymN. Anyone else have examples of what a vinson can haul/tow? In general how good they are at the utility side of things.

Old 04-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Go with the auto! i am the kinda person that thinks either 100% manul or 100% auto not anything inbetween! i have a auto clutch machine and i realy dont like it as well as the others i realy think you would like the auto better i mean you can still tow the same and evrything and also it realy sucks to have to stick your foot in the water to downshift so you can go into reverse... dude thats the worst, getting wet wen you realy did not have too! hope i was of help [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Fred

Old 04-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Here's a review of the utility side of the Vinson. The key is to use the low gear whenever pulling or towing.

http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/...son/index.html

Old 04-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Sog
Weekend Warrior

Excellent! Great review for the Vinson. Thanks for the link. Sounds like the Vinson can meet my work needs. How about play?

I Posted in the "Buy a new atv" section in a more general manner. What was recommended to me was the Brute Force 650/Prairie 700. It is faster than the Vinson, has differential lock, and has a increased towing capacity (wish I knew how towing capacity was figured. Both bikes weight the same and I'd imagine that traction would be lost before engine would max.) I read somewhere, no idea how much truth there is to it, that the Prarie has a high center of gravity and is a little "tipsy". That doesn't sound good to me on either a trail ride or towing cross-slope. Which would you guys recomend assuming $ is no option (which it always is!) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'm not a hot-headed, thrill seeking, death defying kind of guy. But like us all a part of me is. What's your take on it? Is the Vinson enough on the sporting side or do you guys find yourself wishing more?

Old 04-13-2005, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider

The Vinson is an awesome quad that can do anything you want (work & play). As for play I would have to say it's the BEST 500cc machine out there. If you want something more for work take a look at the Polaris Sportsman 500. I don't care much for them but many of my friends have them and they are very good at what they do.

I mostly trail ride so I can't speak much about the work aspect but I have pulled a jeep out of the sand. I have also packed my racks down with all kinds of stuff with no problems either.

Most new ATVers worry to much about what a new quad can and can't do but let me just say all the new quads are good. If you want a 500cc machine then the Vinson is a great choice. If you can afford to get something bigger then do it. It's hard to beat the extra horsepower. With that said I have NO problem keeping up with the larger 700cc machines.

Now if you are going to use your machine for work & play I would have to say go with the Auto. Some like to shift but IMO those people are mainly fast trail riders. Shifting does have its advantages but I'd stick with an auto.

I have tons of miles on my Vinny so if you have any specific questions let me know. I can also say living in Alaska the Vinny has been through a lot!

Old 04-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just purchased my Vinson 3 weeks ago and have 20 hours & about 90 miles. I took it to Ocala National Forrest and it was great! It kept up with alot of sport quads on the flat land and then it went through sand bottom ponds with water over the exhaust pipe. It also went through some smaller mud holes with no problem. I didnt even put it in 4WD or LO. 2wd High the whole way and it performed like a champ. I couldn't be happy with this bike. I rode for 3.5 hours that day(mostly slow trail riding) and only used about 1.25 gallons of gas. I would reccommend this to anyone that wants a capable utility but wants to cut loose now and then and have some highspeed fun!!!!! Good Luck with your new ATV!!

Quick Reply: Hows the Vinson 500's utility side?