Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

can't get jet kit tuned in on my Ozark

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 08:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't get jet kit tuned in on my Ozark

Here's my quad and my current mods...........

2005 Suzuki Ozark 250

Twin Air Filter
DynoJet stage 2 Jet kit
spark arrestor removed(reinstalled when riding in dry areas)
a good break in was done on the motor(drive it like you stole it after it warmed up)

Now, the recomended jet per my altitude and mods was installed and the settings were set to the jet kit's recomendations accept for the air/fuel adjustment screw cause there's a plate covering where the screw adjustment would be. I took it out and could barely go at all. Brought it back and checked the spark plug only to find it showing real lean. So I go one jet bigger(132). Took it back out and it was MUCH better. I brought it back and checked the plug again only to find that it was still lean, so I went one jet bigger again. This time though, it was spitting black smoke when trying to start off, so I went back to the 132 jet and went one notch richer on the needle. I then took it out and rode for a bit. Mid range was not as strong, but top end was much better. I brought it back in and checked out the plug only to find it running a bit on the rich side.

I've been riding with it like this for a couple of months now, but I've been having to replace the spark plug about once every 2-3 weekends of riding cause it gets fouled out. Is there any way I can take that metal plate off of where the air/fuel adjustment should be so I can adjust it to where it needs to be? Is there something else I can do to remedy this problem? I've been thinking about just getting a Pro Circuit pipe for it to lean it out a bit, but I don't think that will fix my problem, but only compound it.

As it sits right now, the quad has a really nice top end pull and I can easily hit the rev limiter in 5th gear. I also had to decrease the plug gap from 0.028 down to 0.025 cause it was blowing out the spark. But even so, I'm able to easily pull on my friend's 4 stroke Polaris 330 cc and 2 stroke 250 cc quads so the power is there, it's just the low end is not as good as what it used to be and it's still running a bit rich.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The cap over the mixture screw on my 03 was made of plastic and i could flick it off with a fingernail. Maybe in other ares they are metal. If it is, just take a small drill, and start a hole in it, but dont go very far. Then take a sheetmetal screw, and thread it in, then pry the little cover off with the screw.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: hondabuster
The cap over the mixture screw on my 03 was made of plastic and i could flick it off with a fingernail. Maybe in other ares they are metal. If it is, just take a small drill, and start a hole in it, but dont go very far. Then take a sheetmetal screw, and thread it in, then pry the little cover off with the screw.
That's not a bad idea. Yeah, this cover is definately not made of plastic!! Thanks!

Old 04-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where is this stupid mix screw, i looked all over my carb and i couldnt find anything... mine is running real rich and i need to lean out the mix. any help would be great!

Old 04-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Range Rover

If you are looking at the carb from the driver's side of the quad, look on the lower left hand part of the carb. You will see a flat brass like round area with a hole in the center of it. You need to take this plug out in order to adjust the air/fuel ratio screw, but be forewarned. The screw only adjusts idle and low throttle air/fuel ratio. The needle setting adjusts your midrange air/fuel ratio, and the jet size determins your top end air/fuel ratio. Now that seems easy enough, but when you change jet sizes, you typically need to also change the other two settings to keep everything running right.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, my top end is fine its just the bottom end thats coughing out gas fumes like crazy. i need to find that screw and lean it out a bit and see what that does.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

I put a new pilot jett in mine. The kits dont come with them but I needed one size bigger. I made my vinson perfect then