Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dakbee
have you ever seen a switch for a 230e? looks pretty good and would prob wire in easy. also has the light switch built in
Cant say i've seen one. Do you have one for sale?

Old 05-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

not for sale, theres a couple on ebay tho. a bit pricey.....not sure if the neutral and reverse lights could be made to work or not.

90 Suzuki LT230E LT230 230 ignition switch w/key | eBay

Old 05-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Range Rover

So whats everyones opinions on chains. Nonsealed, O-Ring, X-ring? What about brands D.I.D, EK, RK, Parts Unlimited, Ect?

Old 05-31-2011, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Guys, was hoping you could help me out again with my 86 LT230. After some great advice in this thread I got mine running after many years and have been riding it every chance I get. I was out at silver lake sand dunes in Michigan this past weekend and the wife was riding it when it cut out running up a hill. This was after 2 full days of riding out there. First thing I noticed is the exhaust was so hot it melted the paint off and the stickers on the muffler. I took apart the carb at the camp ground thinking it was a lean condition and cleaned out the jets. Was only able to get it started once under part throttle and the exhaust began to glow near the head. I read online that this is typically caused by the CDI giving the wrong spark advance, so I picked up a used one ebay. With the new CDI and a fresh plug I am still unable to get it started and could use any advice!

Old 06-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@my91ranger

Don't know what all you've done to your machine and I'm no expert but have the valves been adjusted lately? Also have you checked to see if your plug is throwing a good spark?

BTW how does your 230 handle the dunes at silver lake? Do you run paddles? Is your 230 pretty much stock? I've always wanted to head over there since I'm only a few hours away but never seem to find the time

Old 06-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@steve230

I run a DID o-ring chain (just put a new one on this weekend) I used to run a standard "unsealed" chain and was replacing them constantly. I've never tried an x-ring chain though...

Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Question extended chain

Can someone help me, i want to extend my swing-arm 4 inches, but what chain should i get(what size)? Also where is a good place to buy the steel for the swing-arm(is it steel)? One more thing do i have to move the shock mount or will it be fine.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MIsuzukilt230s
@my91ranger

Don't know what all you've done to your machine and I'm no expert but have the valves been adjusted lately? Also have you checked to see if your plug is throwing a good spark?

BTW how does your 230 handle the dunes at silver lake? Do you run paddles? Is your 230 pretty much stock? I've always wanted to head over there since I'm only a few hours away but never seem to find the time
The valves were adjusted when I originally did all the work to get it running, and I did check the spark and the plug, and from what I can tell it looks good, not super bright but a clean blue arc.

The 230 has a high compression piston on exhaust on it, and it handles the dunes well, it just didn't seem to have quite enough for the biggest hill there. I do not run paddles on it either, just some 12.5 inch wide Spidertrax.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well its been a while since i updated you guys. so.. i should have 2 rolling chasis by Saturday with pics. My digital camera took a crap and my computer took a crap. so now i have to do everything through my cell, it'll take even longer to get all my pics up in my album and in the thread. i will probly post my cell number on the Vault if anyone has any questions that have to be answered.

ohh and the damage pics from my crash will be posted as soon as i get my computer back.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by My91Ranger
Hey Guys, was hoping you could help me out again with my 86 LT230. After some great advice in this thread I got mine running after many years and have been riding it every chance I get. I was out at silver lake sand dunes in Michigan this past weekend and the wife was riding it when it cut out running up a hill. This was after 2 full days of riding out there. First thing I noticed is the exhaust was so hot it melted the paint off and the stickers on the muffler. I took apart the carb at the camp ground thinking it was a lean condition and cleaned out the jets. Was only able to get it started once under part throttle and the exhaust began to glow near the head. I read online that this is typically caused by the CDI giving the wrong spark advance, so I picked up a used one ebay. With the new CDI and a fresh plug I am still unable to get it started and could use any advice!
So I messed with the quad a bit more after work and was able to get it to run a little bit, not well but atleast 30 seconds, and within that short time the paint on the exhaust pipe began to smoke and bubble just like before. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.