Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey justrandy, you have an lt250s engine right? Both of mine are a little different, especially from the 230. The new 250s engine that I just bought has a couple differences. First off the flywheel has holes drilled in the side on the new one and Ive never seen that before in a 4 stroke, only in 2 stroke lt250r's and quadzillas. I also noticed that I have a red spring inside my transmission instead of the normal one. This sucker is on stock bore and it has no carbon on the piston, and has tons of compression. I'm thinking this might have been a first edition lt250s engine being that the flywheel was manually balanced, not sure, what do you think. I'm not going to tear into all the way since its just to good to rip it apart.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by tomgodair
Hey justrandy, you have an lt250s engine right? Both of mine are a little different, especially from the 230. The new 250s engine that I just bought has a couple differences. First off the flywheel has holes drilled in the side on the new one and Ive never seen that before in a 4 stroke, only in 2 stroke lt250r's and quadzillas. I also noticed that I have a red spring inside my transmission instead of the normal one. This sucker is on stock bore and it has no carbon on the piston, and has tons of compression. I'm thinking this might have been a first edition lt250s engine being that the flywheel was manually balanced, not sure, what do you think. I'm not going to tear into all the way since its just to good to rip it apart.
I know the flywheel for the 250 is a few degrees retarded in timing. I put the 230 flywheel on my 250. I don't know much about them other than that. Maybe someone put a 2-stroke flywheel in there. Is it lighter?

Old 03-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

hello

Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

hey guys, new to this but i nned help. i just purchased an 87 quadsport eh. it will only start with starting fluid. put in new gas,lines are clean,carb bowl is clean. i think it has spark because when i have the wire off the plug and hit the start button it will give you a zing. is the carb just out of adjustment or do i have a big problem?

Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by spoonbill
hey guys, new to this but i nned help. i just purchased an 87 quadsport eh. it will only start with starting fluid. put in new gas,lines are clean,carb bowl is clean. i think it has spark because when i have the wire off the plug and hit the start button it will give you a zing. is the carb just out of adjustment or do i have a big problem?
Try cleaning the pilot jet

Old 03-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer

also have another question, the swingarm bushings appear to be bad so i was going to replace them but i dont understand how to get it out. the top of the swingarm where it connects to the frame appears to have a press fit rod. how would i remove the swingarm?

Old 03-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

not to sound stupid but i dont know a thing about this. let me set the tone. i bought this exact model brand new when i was 13 and didnt hardly leave its side for 2 years but then was forced to get rid of it. been looking for another one ever since. i wish i knew what a pilot needle was but i dont. there are 2 screw-like things on the side of the carb. i tried to move them in and out but it didnt make a difference.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by spoonbill
not to sound stupid but i dont know a thing about this. let me set the tone. i bought this exact model brand new when i was 13 and didnt hardly leave its side for 2 years but then was forced to get rid of it. been looking for another one ever since. i wish i knew what a pilot needle was but i dont. there are 2 screw-like things on the side of the carb. i tried to move them in and out but it didnt make a difference.
Take the bowl off the carb. Turn carb upside down. The little brass thingys screwed into the carb are the jets. Find a piece or wire (bread tie, guitar string) and run it thru the holes.

The 2 screws on the carb are the mixture screw and idle speed screw. Set the mixture screw 1.5 turns out from the bottom. (Screw it all way in and count 1.5 turns back out). The idle speed screw you can turn with your fingers and put it where you want it.

The swingarm is held in by 1 big long bolt. Just take the nut off and pull the bolt out.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

it worked!!! boy is there smoke everywhere! cant figure out where it is coming from> what is the lever on the top right corner of the head? you can push it up and then once it is started it goes back down.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

runs very rough and smokes everywhere. i think it is coming from the top of the engine but cant tell. it fills the whole garage in seconds.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.