Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, let me know if you know of any tie rods that are 13.5" give or take, I extended my front end by making brackets for 1.5" wider per side, which I looked back and you had an idea of doing this along time ago, but now I just need longer tie rods and I really dont want to cut them since the 230 tie rods aren't that great anyways.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider

hey trailrider, was the full floater decal something you had thought up? check this out: 1985-89 Suzuki LT250 QuadRacer Project

Old 08-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dakbee
hey trailrider, was the full floater decal something you had thought up? check this out: 1985-89 Suzuki LT250 QuadRacer Project
no it wasnt. it was an extra vinyl decal i had left over from my first build. it comes standard with the set.

i dont run 2 strokes. never have never will. to much money in fixing them and the constant rebuilding of the top end would cost me more than a dozen 230s builds. i have one of my engines that i built in '05 that is still running around, and its runs on straight turbo blue race fuel. the guy has never had a problem with it. it always starts on the first kick.

2 strokes on the other hand. the piston always has to be at TDC before they'll start then you have to buy 2 stroke oil and mix it. just too much hassle just to go riding.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by tomgodair
Just wondering what stopper you are talking about thats connected to the shift drum? I can shift into neutral and the sprocket doesn't move, and I can shift into gear and the sprocket does move. When I shift into 2nd, am I supposed to hear a click or how is that supposed to work and same for 3rd and 4th and 5th? Also, do you know if the rear bearing carrier is alluminum or steal? I can take pics of the inside if needed.
the carrier is alum and steel.

the shift drum stopper has the spring atached to it and then to the left side engine. hold it away from the shift drum and it makes it easier the shift into all the gears. the way really to tell if the drum is in the right position is to see if the reverse dog at the end of the main gear shaft will go down and lock with the gear under it.

it should not take any force other than twisting the reverse lever shaft with your fingers, and the reverse dog should just slide down and lock into the gear. and also make sure you have Lucas oil stabilizer on the drum or oil. failure to do so will result in metal shavings falling into the trans which will circulated fight into the oil pump and wreck you new engine. it will also make the shift forks slide easier and work properly.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey trailrider how bad was the mistress banged up? bad? how did you fare in the crash.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Range Rover

dude lets see some pics of the 2.0, ive named my 2 230s slightly and modified lol the first one i built is fully stock, and modified well the name says it, im going all out taking all of my knowledge and everyone else's knowledge and putting it in one machine. and alot of custom parts, hopefully they hold up. ill post pics as soon as its complete

Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by chris111179
Hey trailrider how bad was the mistress banged up? bad? how did you fare in the crash.
well let's see. i crushed the rear part of the frame into the trans, ripped the swinger off, broke the left side engine case( including the mag cover, and crushed my skull with the whole quad coming down on top of me.

i'll try to describe it the best i can.

I was racing a friend of mine around his track. he was on a 250 four stroke honda dike bike and me on the Mistress. we was just goofing off seeing who could get the lowest lap time. his track is all rutted to helll and back, and i lined up for a 20 foot table top on the last lap. there is a tree on each side of the flat top of the jump. well when i thought i was lined up perfect i floored it to clear the jump. on the approach of the ramp there is a rutt that was cut by his bike. the last thing i remember is hitting the rutt and being thrown into the tree. there is video footage of the crash. i watched the Mistress hit the tree and throw me off, she hung for a sec on the branch and then it landed on the left rear from about 12-15 feet off the ground, crushing the left side of my skull with the left front a arm of my 230. i spent a night in the hospital followed by 10 weeks to recover from a dime sized bruise on my brain. i was supposed to be resting and not doing anything but i got right back to building the Mistress 2.0.

to this day i still have massive head aches blackout spells and occasionally i get blurry vision. to say the least i am lucky.

i figured if i was building a second Mistress, i better go all out. i run striaght race fuel and cant run on anything less the 93 octane pump gas. it has a 11.5:1 compression ratio now. and i jumped up to a 30mm carb and maxed out the bore size. if it has to be bored out again i only have enough sleeve to go 1 more size. i have to jump up to start it now.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jory230
dude lets see some pics of the 2.0, ive named my 2 230s slightly and modified lol the first one i built is fully stock, and modified well the name says it, im going all out taking all of my knowledge and everyone else's knowledge and putting it in one machine. and alot of custom parts, hopefully they hold up. ill post pics as soon as its complete
she's a little muddy now. i'll get pics up some time tomorrow night after she gets a bath. i still got to get some new vinyls for the plastics. had to take them off. the crash ruined most of them.

let me know on those a arms when you get a set built and tested. i may go race a few races this year yet. i wont know til the doc clears me for racing. i get to go do my physical friday. the whole "turn your head an cough" routine . plus a CT and a MRI. Oddly enough i can even tell my collar bone was even broke, unless i swim in the cold river, then it tends to sting a lil.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow thats a bad crash, really bad. Brings back memories of when I wiped out on my 250r. i was running down the road to a friends house because he had troble starting his 450. I went off the road at 75 the 250r hit a bush then a tree and stoped dead in it's track's but I continued until I hit a 3 foot wide pine tree lucky it knocked me out so i didnt feel anything. The worst part was my 250r stayed idling I had a bend front bumper but not a scratch on the plastics. I was a different story. a ton of stitchs and staples later. I was found laying against a tree 30 minutes latter becuase my buddy could still her my 250 idling so he though i was still on my way.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by chris111179
wow thats a bad crash, really bad. Brings back memories of when I wiped out on my 250r. i was running down the road to a friends house because he had troble starting his 450. I went off the road at 75 the 250r hit a bush then a tree and stoped dead in it's track's but I continued until I hit a 3 foot wide pine tree lucky it knocked me out so i didnt feel anything. The worst part was my 250r stayed idling I had a bend front bumper but not a scratch on the plastics. I was a different story. a ton of stitchs and staples later. I was found laying against a tree 30 minutes latter becuase my buddy could still her my 250 idling so he though i was still on my way.
yeah i know the feeling. i was out cold for 5 hours before i came to. my wife was holding my hand bawling her eyes out til i woke up. both whites of my eyes were blood red for almost 3 weeks. it looked kinda cool. no stitches needed here, i hate needles. the vid of the crash made me sick to watch. it taught me alot, "next time wear the damn helmet". that message got to me loud and clear. i ended up breaking about 5 bones all together, collar bone, few bones in my hands, and of course my skull. when the manual said an lt230s weighs 340 pounds believe it, i felt every ounce.

ohh yeah go check out the Vault when you get a chance. i got put in charge of it and i have been updating it like crazy. tons of new info on there. i still go a few new pages under construction, but if you thought it was jam packed before, you haven't seen anything yet.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.