Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustRandy
But I know what you mean about wanting more speed without killing acceleration. I'm scratching my head right now trying to decide if I want to bore a perfectly good engine just so I can up the compression with an Arias piston I have sitting on the shelf or if I want to just stick a CR500 or KX500 engine in and be done with it lol. My 250s engine is stock except for some porting work and 28mm carb n bigass KN filter. I'd love to have about 5 more HP.... or a 6th gear!
Yerp im always trying for that 6th but it never clicks in and its the left cam cuz I read your post about it back on page 500 I belive. Would you say the 250 cam is still worth it though? Or would the dg rcm exhaust be a better way to spend my money first. I pretty much live it wide open throttle.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DG RCM pipe along with a Uni air filter definitely woke my 230 up. I've never tried anything but the stock 230 cam. A lot of these guys recommend upgrading your shocks as well. I kept putting it off but am amazed at the difference in cornering on the trails since I replaced them.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by MIsuzukilt230s
The DG RCM pipe along with a Uni air filter definitely woke my 230 up. I've never tried anything but the stock 230 cam. A lot of these guys recommend upgrading your shocks as well. I kept putting it off but am amazed at the difference in cornering on the trails since I replaced them.
I already got the uni 2 stage. Yeah the shocks are on my list to. My rear shock is pretty much shot i can lift the rear end up about 2-3 inches and let go before the shock stops it from going down anymore. I really don't no what to do about the bushings for the warrior shock. So for now I guess ill just wait on that.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Steve230
Yerp im always trying for that 6th but it never clicks in and its the left cam cuz I read your post about it back on page 500 I belive. Would you say the 250 cam is still worth it though? Or would the dg rcm exhaust be a better way to spend my money first. I pretty much live it wide open throttle.
Ok you cheated lol

I don't know much about that exhaust. I forgot to mention before that I made my own glasspack muffler. I never was too thrilled with the selection of aftermarket pipes... and many guys said they're too loud. I remember back when I first started monkeying with these quads I took the drain bolts out of the bottom of the stock muffler and that gave it more power. It worked so well I actually drilled more holes lol!

But I suppose anything would work better than this

Name:  aDCP_1664.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  55.9 KB

As far as cams go, it would be worth it to me, but I spent $100 on a KN filter, so I'm a goofball like that. The question is would it be worth it to pay $100 for the 250s cam or $300+ for the webcam or megacycle? And I'm wondering how much of any power increase over the 250s cam by the other fancy cams actually comes from the stiffer springs they recommend you to buy.

I think I would go with the exhaust first. The exhaust really suffers on the 230. The biggest jumps in power would be taking the airbox lid off, taking drain bolts out of exhaust (or another muffler), and running a high comp piston.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Range Rover

As far as cams go, it would be worth it to me, but I spent $100 on a KN filter, so I'm a goofball like that. The question is would it be worth it to pay $100 for the 250s cam or $300+ for the webcam or megacycle? And I'm wondering how much of any power increase over the 250s cam by the other fancy cams actually comes from the stiffer springs they recommend you to buy.

I think I would go with the exhaust first. The exhaust really suffers on the 230. The biggest jumps in power would be taking the airbox lid off, taking drain bolts out of exhaust (or another muffler), and running a high comp piston.
Next time i head out into the old garage ill take that lid off, I already got a wiseco high comp piston from wiseco (std bore), im planing on getting both muffler and cam theres just a 2 week wait in between gotta wait for the next pay check the boss doesn't seem to like the idea of a weeks pay ahead of time

Old 06-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Next time i head out into the old garage ill take that lid off, I already got a wiseco high comp piston from wiseco (std bore), im planing on getting both muffler and cam theres just a 2 week wait in between gotta wait for the next pay check the boss doesn't seem to like the idea of a weeks pay ahead of time
He should be more understanding since you're not spending the week's pay on beer... well not all of it

Probably will have to up the main jet or fiddle with the needle when you pull the lid off.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Range Rover

He should be more understanding since you're not spending the week's pay on beer... well not all of it

Probably will have to up the main jet or fiddle with the needle when you pull the lid off.
are all the mikuni jets standard or do i have to buy a specific one to fit the vm26 carb

Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

This is how I decided to do the swingarm (yeah its steel)

Then just move the top shock mount where ever you need it for the shock you plan to use. Once its all together, then you measure for the chain. I'm guessing 100 links, but I could be off by a link or 2.
Thanks, but pic #2 and the last one won't load.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

are all the mikuni jets standard or do i have to buy a specific one to fit the vm26 carb
The round mikuni jets. The bike shops should have them.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Mud_bound
Thanks, but pic #2 and the last one won't load.
Right click and click "show picture"

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.