Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robotic
Twin_Stacks
Thanks for the link! That's exactly what this piston looks like- light dome with two reliefs for the valves. Three piece oil ring, too. I'll throw a caliper on it.

dakbee
I don't have my valve spring compressor handy, so I didn't strip the valves out yet. Either way, a different head is going onto the motor.

Thanks guys!
If the numbers match on your piston to the pic, that already tells you the size.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys, i am considering dumping a little money in my little QS. I got it out and rode it a bit over the weekend while the weather was nice and it just runs too good not too. I was thinking about sellin it, but now i am unsure.
My plans are to replace the rear axle bearings and chain, because they need it, and upgrade to a 39T sprocket for a little speed gain. The other thing i was possibly going to do was upgrade shocks. I will pick up some 250R shocks for the front, but i had a question on the rear. Everyone says to go with the Warrior rear shock, but i dont think my shock is stock anyway. It has a reservoir. Did the QS ever come with a ressie rear shock, otherwise what other shock would fit? and am i better off keeping it or switching to a Warrior rear shock? Also, for the guys with the 250R shocks on front, how much better does it ride and handle after the switch?

I havent for sure decided to do any of this yet. I am buying another quad regardless, but i just like the little guy too much to let it go yet, although if someone came along and offered me money, i'd likely let it go.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 86zuk
Well guys, i am considering dumping a little money in my little QS. I got it out and rode it a bit over the weekend while the weather was nice and it just runs too good not too. I was thinking about sellin it, but now i am unsure.
My plans are to replace the rear axle bearings and chain, because they need it, and upgrade to a 39T sprocket for a little speed gain. The other thing i was possibly going to do was upgrade shocks. I will pick up some 250R shocks for the front, but i had a question on the rear. Everyone says to go with the Warrior rear shock, but i dont think my shock is stock anyway. It has a reservoir. Did the QS ever come with a ressie rear shock, otherwise what other shock would fit? and am i better off keeping it or switching to a Warrior rear shock? Also, for the guys with the 250R shocks on front, how much better does it ride and handle after the switch?

I havent for sure decided to do any of this yet. I am buying another quad regardless, but i just like the little guy too much to let it go yet, although if someone came along and offered me money, i'd likely let it go.
well if your rear shock has a rezzie then its probly of an lt230e. they came from the factory with a rezzie. and the 250r shocks up front are great. A night and day difference.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
well if your rear shock has a rezzie then its probly of an lt230e. they came from the factory with a rezzie. and the 250r shocks up front are great. A night and day difference.
So, in your opinion, is that rezzie shock better, worse, or the same as the warrior shock performance wise? I'll probably keep it for now regardless to save some $$

Old 01-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 86zuk
So, in your opinion, is that rezzie shock better, worse, or the same as the warrior shock performance wise? I'll probably keep it for now regardless to save some $$
i would guess about the same. But Warrior rear shocks are rebuildable and Suzuki rears arent. I have neer used a lt230e rezzie shock but the warrior is more plush than suzuki.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer

its pretty stiff, but it looks like i can adjust it. I need to take it off and mess with it because the spring appears to be compressed too much, the rear end could sit higher IMO and that would probably soften it up quite a bit. its just a threaded ring for adjustment

Old 01-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Long time no post. Well i started up the suk the other day and it was smokin so i got to thinkin. How much would it cost to do a rebuild? The labor included and all.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer

Anyone ever try Permatex stripped thread repair?
I am giving it a try on my drain plug.

If it works out I'll try it on some left side cover threads that took damage when the chain took out the cover.

Got the clutch side buttoned up. Next comes the cylinder and head, then the left cover.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by snow racer
Long time no post. Well i started up the suk the other day and it was smokin so i got to thinkin. How much would it cost to do a rebuild? The labor included and all.
You can get the rod rebuilt for about $170 (includes labor)
The top end will cost about:
$50-$60 for bore and hone, make sure its a good shop (includes labor)
$70-$90 for the piston kit
$15 for the top end gasket kit (should include valve seals)
$12 seal up center cases
$5 seal up side cases
$30 for valves (Of course you need a valve spring compressor)
$40-$50 for misc. bottom end bearings
$18 for seals, like the reverse shifter seal (you can find them on ebay for pretty cheap)
I might be missing something, but thats about it.
So grand total:
Around $450 at the high end to do a complete engine rebuild (Of course you have to do all the work for putting it together).

Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Robotic
Anyone ever try Permatex stripped thread repair?
I am giving it a try on my drain plug.

If it works out I'll try it on some left side cover threads that took damage when the chain took out the cover.

Got the clutch side buttoned up. Next comes the cylinder and head, then the left cover.
They make oversized oil drain plugs for stripped out oil plugs at the auto store for like $3-$4, you might want to check into that. Or you can replace the bottom drain plug, heres one on ebay:
Suzuki LT 230 230S lt230 Quad Sport Quadsport drain plug cover | eBay

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.