Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That means ur mix is good at that throttle position, not across the board

Old 06-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by dakbee
That means ur mix is good at that throttle position, not across the board
Yeah at max rpm its a nice goldish greyish brown, at about half throttle theres not stutters, smoke any of that and the plug is mostly a light greyish with a tint of brown

Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Really sounds like your pilot to me if it idles good and high and mid throttle are good

Old 06-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by dakbee
Really sounds like your pilot to me if it idles good and high and mid throttle are good
Yeah only thing it really could be. My exhaust comes thursday no point in messing with it to much since ill be redoing it all with the exhaust i assume. "plus you'll learn that i tend to over think and freak out about things that are probably perfet the way they are :P"

Old 06-15-2011, 05:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Steve230
"plus you'll learn that i tend to over think and freak out about things that are probably perfet the way they are :P"

Me to!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ok guys i need help settling a debate between me and my mechanic.

what are the advantages of running with bigger valves in the cylinder head? and is there any downside to running a bigger intake and exhaust valve?

i would say i'd get more power. and the downside would be more fuel consumption.

any other opinions are welcome

Old 06-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Range Rover

Well i adjusted the piolet screw it didn't do anything at all to the idle either way i turned it, i guess i need to go up a piolet size?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
ok guys i need help settling a debate between me and my mechanic.

what are the advantages of running with bigger valves in the cylinder head? and is there any downside to running a bigger intake and exhaust valve?

i would say i'd get more power. and the downside would be more fuel consumption.

any other opinions are welcome
Well, just like there is a best size carb, there is a best size valve. Bigger aint always better. If you could have a valve the size of a toilet seat, you would lose power. Bigger valves are heavier and put a cap on your rpms. This is why yamaha has 5 valve heads. Many small valves is better than one big one. (And some valves are filled with sodium to make them lighter). Not only that, but with small valves and small ports, you get faster air movement. The faster you can get the air to move, the more will fill the cylinder.

That said, valves can be too small too. The great thing about the 230 is its long stroke, but with long strokes come small pistons, which equals not much room to put valves. The 250x has a short stroke and a big piston, so it had room for a 4 valve head. The 250s has a bit bigger piston, so they found room for a 1mm bigger valve.

I don't see why you would consume more fuel just by making the valve bigger. Using more fuel would come from a decrease in efficiency. If you argue that a bigger valve would fill the cylinder with more air/gas mix, then you would simply go faster... no efficiency lost. If you wanted to go slower you would simply give it less gas.

SO anyway, if your engine is running properly, but the air flowing thru the valve is so fast that its restrictive (for the rpms you run), then you need a bigger valve. Otherwise bigger valves would cost you power. Same with carbs. Same with exhausts.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Steve230
Well i adjusted the piolet screw it didn't do anything at all to the idle either way i turned it, i guess i need to go up a piolet size?
No. You need to turn the idle speed screw out and let the slide come down. You're idling off the needle circuit.

Turn the idle speed screw out until the rpms drop as low as you can get them without it dying. Then turn the pilot screw until rpms go back up. repeat, repeat, repeat until you can't go anymore. If you find the pilot screw more than 3 turns out, you need a bigger pilot jet. If you find it all the way in, you need a smaller jet.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by JustRandy
No. You need to turn the idle speed screw out and let the slide come down. You're idling off the needle circuit.

Turn the idle speed screw out until the rpms drop as low as you can get them without it dying. Then turn the pilot screw until rpms go back up. repeat, repeat, repeat until you can't go anymore. If you find the pilot screw more than 3 turns out, you need a bigger pilot jet. If you find it all the way in, you need a smaller jet.
So im taking the idle screw as low as i can before i try to adjust the piolet? I never knew that, but shouldnt i notice some kind of differance im the way it idles? I stopped at the shop on the way to classes and picked up one piolet bigger just in case

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.