Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 86zuk
those are painted? wow look pretty good
Yep a couple cans of rustoleum lol. The color is "aluminum". I blasted the wheels with the pressure washer and scrubbed them clean. Then scuffed them with a scotch brite pad and wiped them down with mineral spirits. After that I taped off the tires and trimmed the excess tape from around the rim. 1 coat of primer, 3 coats of paint, letting each coat dry for a day before applying the next coat. Hopefully the paint holds up for a little while anyway but we'll see. I had to find a project to get out of the house and into the garage lol.

Forgot to add that the front rims are the stock aluminum ones but the rears had been replaced with 8" steel rims by the previous owner.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by stearn786
Just a followup from a month and a half ago guys. I found the wire from the CDI to the ignition coil had a bad spot internally, it had green cheese growing in it and there was only two strands of copper still intact. Fixed the wire and now it runs great
Thanks for letting us know you got it! Even though nobody probably tried to help you on here it's good to get info that may help someone else in the future.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem, that's how I became a member here. I was looking for some info on a wheeler and stumbled across this forum. Just about every piece of a 230 is covered on one thread, it's great!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by stearn786
No problem, that's how I became a member here. I was looking for some info on a wheeler and stumbled across this forum. Just about every piece of a 230 is covered on one thread, it's great!
Have you found "the vault" yet? There's a link to it in my signature below. It's a collaboration of knowledge, info, and tips from some members of this forum.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I found the vault when I bought my 230s last fall. The wiring diagrams are great. I've rebuilt just about everything on that poor atv, the vault and this forum were a great help.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Trailblazer

will an lt250 shifter bolt right on my lt230s? found a good deal on one and it will eliminate my worn out shifter linkage

Old 09-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Quinn230s
Hey guys, does anyone know what modern atvs are close to the lt230 in weight, wheelbase, etc?
Closest thing is probably the raptor 250.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by tomgodair
So guys, new update. I just bought some holeshot tires for my westcoast swingarm and durablue axle on some nice red label rims. I also picked up a set of works shocks for the front for those lt250s a-arms. Now, my engine is done but I would like to try and make an engine compatibility chart of some sort with a newer vehicle, the ltz250. The ltz250 has the same size bore as the lt230 (66m) but a longer stroke at 72mm. Im trying to find out if a. we can install the ltz250 rod on the lt230 or lt250s along with a nice cylinder combo. Anyone know the stroke of the lt250s, I know justrandy used to know but I cant find it anywhere. I am also trying to figure out if the cylinder head is closely the same. From all the pictures that I have looked at, it looks like it might bolt up, especially considering the bore is the same to the 230. I am going to ask a couple people on ebay if they would be willing to take some measurements of the cylinder head for me unless someone else has some ltz250 parts laying around? I would assume this quad has alot better porting thant the old 230.
Dude! Why didn't you just text me n ask? lol. The stroke is the same as the 230. 66x67 is a 230 and 68.5x67 is a 250. What I was looking at before was the LT4WD. It has the same 66 piston, but a longer stroke and rod. I forgot the exact numbers, but many parts change over (cam, valves, cam chain, head, etc). Vince said he could get a +4 rod for the 230 and the 250 already has one stock (that's why the jug is taller and the 250s and LT4wd both use same longer cam chain).

catalog Select suzuki n click search

Old 10-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I doubt it has better porting than a 250s head. The exhaust port looks to be curved like the 230s head. At best the LTZ250 would have the +1 valve like the 250s, but from the pics I've seen I don't think the ports are as good. The LTZ (auto-clutch) isn't a true sport like the 250s was. Like my 250ex (aka sport) has a carb the size of my pinky, shaft-drive, non-adjustable shocks... the only thing sporty about that quad is the X in its name lol

250s parts are HARD to top! Unless you can find a 4-valve head that will bolt up lol. And if anyone can do it, I believe it would be you

Old 10-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Paint it with high temp engine paint, but you need like 5 layers of paint painted like 3 days after each layer so that if the first layer chips, you have 4 more layers to fall back on. Or powder coat it, it looks nice and doesn't chip as easy. Just make sure everything is torn apart or it will look really shitty.
Are you sure more layers is better? Every time I've caked on layers like that, it ends up coming off in one big chunk and the over-spray areas stay on for life unless I clean it with brake cleaner (tolulene). I've recently become a fan of one thin coat on the theory that a scratch won't cause a large-scale delamination.

Not a fan of engine paint either. It doesn't help cooling. I don't think paint transfers heat as well as AL. I'd just wire brush any oxidation off and make the AL shine. It took me forever to get the paint off my eninge. I was trying all sorts of acids and paint removers to get the factory crud off there. Forgot what finally worked, but I don't want to go there again. I do remember that much lol

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.