Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Are you putting the lever in right? The hole for the cable goes toward the front of the engine and the cable pulls it up.
Yeah, I am putting the lever on correctly (I think). I had pictures of it (took hundreds of pictures of the bike before and as I took it apart) and also followed the manuals direction. This is going to be tough to describe, but I will give it a shot.

The shaft (as you know) has two flat sides. Those sides fit the flat sides on the lever. When I put the lever on so the flat sides of both parts match and the cable attaches it will not pull the lever far enough for the shaft to depress the valve. The "head" of the lever hits the stopper or valve cover before it has rotated the shaft far enough to push the valve open. I can spin the shaft 360 degrees by using pliers (not sure if that is suppose to happen or not). For about half the rotation I get no resistance at all and could spin it with my hand the other half of the rotation I get resistance that requires the pliers to spin it. Will the resistance is felt the engine is decompressed, when it is loose it is not. I will figure it out eventually.

I appreciate the help. This maybe reaching, but I have an odd feeling this has something to do with the noise I am hearing. You know how an engine sounds when a valve spring breaks but does not drop the valve? The engine keeps running but makes a horrible racket. That is what this sounds like. Or, it is piston slap type sound and I just don't even want to consider that on a fresh rebuild.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like you put all the bolts in the cover before putting the shaft in. So now the shaft wont go all the way in. If it was all the way in, you wouldn't be able to spin it 360. There is one bolt you have to take out so that the shaft will slide in. That bolt locks it in place.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Sounds like you put all the bolts in the cover before putting the shaft in. So now the shaft wont go all the way in. If it was all the way in, you wouldn't be able to spin it 360. There is one bolt you have to take out so that the shaft will slide in. That bolt locks it in place.
Thank you, sir. I will give that a shot when I can pry myself away from work.

Edit: added youtube video of knock, rattle, whatever.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Is the cam chain tight? Instead of typing it all again, here's what I was saying yesterday on another thread: http://forums.atvconnection.com/suzu...ml#post3116288

Old 05-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Range Rover

Thanks again. The cam chain is new, but I did not replace the gears or the tensioner as they looked OK. I will check on the tensioner to see if it is fully extended later today.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by overhead
Thanks again. The cam chain is new, but I did not replace the gears or the tensioner as they looked OK. I will check on the tensioner to see if it is fully extended later today.
Inspect the teeth on the tensioner too. Maybe its not holding tension.

How did you adjust the valve lash? Are you sure you did it right? If the chain is new and the cam n rockers haven't had time to wear out since last inspection and the tensioner is working, about the only thing left to suspect is valve lash too wide. Did the valve stems slide easy into the guide? Could they be sticking? The video sounds like cam chain to me, but its hard to tell from a video. Its like the sound when I'm trying to line up TDC and I just about have the mark at TDC and Wham!... It goes 90 degrees past TDC and I have to go all the way around again lol

Old 05-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Range Rover

I adjusted the valves per the manual. Once on the bench with the motor out and once since I installed it and got it running. The intake valve was way out of adjustment when I checked it in the frame. I assume I let the engine rotate past TDC when I did the adjustment on the bench. And by way off I mean a couple of MM, I could lift the rocker far enough to fit the front of my pinky finger under it. The exhaust valve was fine. It is a bitch to get the feeler gauge in there, but after doing this a couple of times and putting a little bend in the gauge I can get it in there pretty quickly. I will go out and pull the tensioner now to check it out. I hate to drain the oil again, but I would also hate to jack up a just rebuilt motor.

The valves slide fine in the guides and the valve springs were within specs. I suppose a valve could be sticking, but when I had the inspection caps off ( whatever they are called) I rotated the engine and watched them both go up and down.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Range Rover

Pulled the valve cover and I don't see anything wrong that is obvious, but I did figure out the decompression shaft. The rockers have wear and so does the cam, but nothing that is going to cause noise like this. The cam chain and tensioner look good. The tensioner seemed to be holding its position properly when I pulled it. Not sure what I am going to do now, but whatever it is will have to wait until Tuesday when I get back home. Here are some pictures, if you see anything I missed let me know. Yeah, I know I probably used a little too much gasket material, but it did not make it's way into the cam bearing. There was plenty of oil around, seemed to be anyway. So I don't think that is the issue.

Name:  photobucket-4021-1337972925565.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  photobucket-35286-1337973015195.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  photobucket-47390-1337973029499.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  65.4 KB

Old 05-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Range Rover

I figured it out, one of the cam chain guides is not in it's slot or whatever you call it. Probably human beer related error. I am annoyed as hell at myself, but at least I know what it is. I will have to pull the head next week to fix it.

Name:  photobucket-6133-1337976040071.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  59.2 KB

Old 05-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I thought it sounded like cam chain noise lol. On the intake valve I set the lash so that I can barely feel any movement at all. That's about .001. I don't use a feeler anymore. I can tell by how much they move and the sound it makes. .001 doesn't make much sound. The more lash you have, the less cam duration you have, so I run my lash tight.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.