Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

So I received my Clymer Service/Repair manual. I decided to put all the lighting, on/off switch etc back on the bike, when I took it off the only thing that worked was the brake light was working as a running light. So my question is looking at the wiring diagram on pg 260 of the manual I show that coming out of the Light, on/off switch I should have 2 grays and 1 red/yellow. I have 1 gray wire coming out and not a 2nd gray nor the red/yellow but everything else so I have 5 out of the 7 wires that is listed in the diagram. Am I missing wires or is the diagram incorrect or am I reading it wrong?</end quote></div>

Atleast you have colored wires!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I have 9, count'em 9, all black wires.. This should be fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Worked on her all day today, got chassis back into rolling form, and bottom end of engine 70% assembled. Have tomorrow off as well, going to chase wires..... And finish the bottom.. All this And make my wife think it took all day to hook up the water to my new fridge, which was new 4 months ago...

Gotta jet, GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer

hey guys i need the foward clip that u slide the seat into with the 2 bolt holes in it anyone got a extra they want to sell

Old 11-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

So I received my Clymer Service/Repair manual. I decided to put all the lighting, on/off switch etc back on the bike, when I took it off the only thing that worked was the brake light was working as a running light. So my question is looking at the wiring diagram on pg 260 of the manual I show that coming out of the Light, on/off switch I should have 2 grays and 1 red/yellow. I have 1 gray wire coming out and not a 2nd gray nor the red/yellow but everything else so I have 5 out of the 7 wires that is listed in the diagram. Am I missing wires or is the diagram incorrect or am I reading it wrong?</end quote></div>

The 2 grey wires go from the switches to the regulator and the tail light. (As far as I know there is no brake light). The red/yellow wire goes from the switch to the magneto and is the source of power. The yellow and white wires are the power for the headlight. Those are the 5 wires that have to do with lighting. The other 2 wires are for the kill switch. One is a ground to the frame and the other goes to the cdi.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hadaveha

hey guys i need the foward clip that u slide the seat into with the 2 bolt holes in it anyone got a extra they want to sell</end quote></div>

lol, I had to make one from a flat piece of metal.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

9 black wires???? That's gonna be fun to figure out.... They all can't be ground, lol.

The poly is tough stuff. I've been coating my springs and anything metal that I paint with it for a long time. This is the first time I've tried it on something with such a large flat surface though. When its done I shold be able to shave by the reflection. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

that wiring is a figure out as u go,my manual did nothing for me here. i used a test light. the switch on throttle is on off ,and one by clutch is hi low as far as what went where??????? but manual was worthless in this dept

Old 11-06-2007, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Atleast you have colored wires!!! I have 9, count'em 9, all black wires.. This should be fun</end quote></div>

Yikes this is bad enough with the colored wires and not so good wiring diagram but 9 black wires should make it so much more interesting and fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Worked on her all day today, got chassis back into rolling form, and bottom end of engine 70% assembled. Have tomorrow off as well, going to chase wires..... And finish the bottom.. All this And make my wife think it took all day to hook up the water to my new fridge, which was new 4 months ago... </end quote></div>

Your making me look bad I can't even get thru what's supposed to be simple wiring[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The 2 grey wires go from the switches to the regulator and the tail light. (As far as I know there is no brake light). The red/yellow wire goes from the switch to the magneto and is the source of power. The yellow and white wires are the power for the headlight. Those are the 5 wires that have to do with lighting. The other 2 wires are for the kill switch. One is a ground to the frame and the other goes to the cdi.</end quote></div>

My problem is I only have one grey wire coming from the switch and no red/yellow wire from the switch to speak of yet that is not what the books wiring diagram indicates so kinda confused.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>that wiring is a figure out as u go,my manual did nothing for me here. i used a test light. the switch on throttle is on off ,and one by clutch is hi low as far as what went where??????? but manual was worthless in this dept</end quote></div>

Book wiring diagram = Worthless/Agree

Old 11-06-2007, 06:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Are you sure you have the right swithes? What colors do you have? Do you have the hi/low beam switch? My switch has a starter button on it, lol , so I know it is not the right one.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Are you sure you have the right swithes? What colors do you have? Do you have the hi/low beam switch? My switch has a starter button on it, lol , so I know it is not the right one.</end quote></div>

I'm not sure of anything at this point. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] The assembly is one unit that has a yellow light switch and a red kill switch. So I have to two wires coming out of the assembly that is for the kill switch (black/yellow wire and black/white wire). For the lighting I have (1 gray wire, 1 yellow wire, 1 white wire).

So where is my additional 2 wires that the wiring diagram in the book for 1985-1986 LT230S at? The diagram says I should have a (red/yellow wire that comes out of the same assembly that connects to the orange wire from the magneto). The diagram also shows I should have another gray wire besides the one mentioned above coming out of the assembly (1 gray wire from the assembly to the regulator and 1 gray wire that runs from the taillight to the assembly, but again I only have 1 gray wire coming from my assembly).

So the wires for the engine kill switch is covered (b/w, b/y), I have the (white wire, and yellow wire for the headlight) So that just leaves one gray wire coming out of the assembly which I guess if I follow the wiring diagram would connect to the gray wire coming from the regulator, the afore mentioned headlight connections are for the headlight dimmer switch according to the diagram. So what about the last part of the diagram (lighting switch) I'm supposed to have another gray wire and a r/y wire.

Talk about frustrating.

Btw the switches are not labeled on the assembly it wore off I am guessing years ago but the yellow light switch just slides up one click or back. The engine kill switch is easy to figure out start position or don't start position.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.