Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Good thing you got out of that. Ugly would not have even been the word for it.

I used to play on tracks when I lived in OH. Even when I could see miles in both directions, it still felt like a train was bearing down on my back n I had to turn around and look all the time. Gotta watch for the cops too. They're bored n nothing better to do than to protect you from yourself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MalHombre

13-39 w/ 20's seems to work pretty good. thought about going w/ 22's & 23's up front but decided i didn't want the extra weight. (plus i ran outa funds for this thing)</end quote></div>

I have to run 22's in back due to the large rocks all over the trails I ride. Other than that, I'd really like to have 20's. Its a little easier to slide aorund with 20's.

I can't think of a downside to having 23's in the front, other than the extra weight and stress on all the bearings in the front.

I'm pretty sure I'll end up settling with 13/41. 12/41 is too low and 13/39 seems a bit tall. I was on a gravel road and couldn't find a straight long enough to wind 5th out with my current combo. 55+mph on gravel heading for a shorp turn can get a little hairy.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Glad you are still with us 270[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I went ridng railroad tracks as well this weekend. Just got back...
we rode about 60 miles of out of service tracks and tunnels by Donner summit, Donner as in the Donner party, 6-8000 foot!

Wish I had a 230 report, but not yet!! I do have a zilla report.........

DO NOT BUY A ZILLA IF YOU CAN'T RIDE IN WIDE OPEN SPACES!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thing actually handles quite well, but the power comes on so freaking fast, a little 45degree turn can turn into 720's faster than you can blink![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

The best part of the ride was a 6 mile long tunnel thru solid granite, no turns, My buddy on his modded 08 Suk 450R caught up to me finally at the end of the tunnel right before it ended, he was in 5th, his trailtech said 82mph, I hit 5th right after that!!!!!!! Left him eatin roost!!!

That was enough for me. Gave it back to its owner bout 15 minutes later!!!!!!!!!

Told him I "might" want to try again in the dunes..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

I have met my match. If you all can tame it, your stones are bigger than mine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It would be insane where I ride then... I'm hitting the brakes on the 230 every 2 seconds as it is.... The zilla would run me right of the mountain.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

I really think the thing was made for wide open dunes, I can't wait to try it again on Thanksgiving at sand mountain.

With any luck that will be the second ride of my 265 (hope to break the engine in before subjecting her to sand)

Funny, b4 I went big on the 230, I cound tear the motor down in a couple hours do what needed to be done and be ridin the next day. Ahh ignorance is bliss..

Now that I have moded everything I can, I am scared to death I forgot something, so now everything is SO SLOW!!! I have logs of what fasteners, parts, etc, I have replaced. What is new, what is used.. If I do this..... what will it put stress on. If I make this stronger, what becomes weaker because of it?

Curse you all for making me think before i Do!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Jeeze, I wish I had an unlimited budget..[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Then I could pay someone to do all this, and blame them if it is wrong..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider

One advantage to having a cheap and what appears to be a POS to the onlooker is that you can beat the snot out of the thing and not really care if it blows up or rams a tree or whatever. Once you get a yr or so of TLC in it, you get scared to hit a puddle of mud. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2007, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

I will NEVER get to that point!

I was born poor, raised poor, and worked my f*&kin azz off for any and everything I ever got in this life and will continue to do so till my last breath! Probably on a Quadzilla ride, the way things have transpired lately!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Yes, I am no longer in that situation, but in the back of my head i am... She will look a lil better, she better well perform a lil better, but it will happen due to my blood sweat and tears! Pleanty of all of them I might add...

I will drive her like I stole her, the same as when she was ugly, and not so slow![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

I never understood people who have the '49 Merc, '69 Camero, Cuda, 911 Turbo, 427 Cobra...............LT230S, THE FIRST FULLY SUSPENDED SPORT QUAD EVER!!!
They buy them and park em???????? HUH? Yes, I'm stretching it putting the 230 in with the classics, but all of these machines were built to run......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

And I promise you all, If I own it, I will run it![img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You guys ever thought about polyurethane on your plastic? I know most of of the guys I rap with here have new plastic, but mine was looking like someone tied it to the back of their pickup and drove around on a gravel road for a few days. So, I decided to repaint and polyurethane it. I was able to sand all the big gouges out and I'm almost down to a mirror shine. I figure it would be good to cover stickers so the power washer cant peel them off. If it holds up on hardwood floors, it should be decent on my plastic.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

So I received my Clymer Service/Repair manual. I decided to put all the lighting, on/off switch etc back on the bike, when I took it off the only thing that worked was the brake light was working as a running light. So my question is looking at the wiring diagram on pg 260 of the manual I show that coming out of the Light, on/off switch I should have 2 grays and 1 red/yellow. I have 1 gray wire coming out and not a 2nd gray nor the red/yellow but everything else so I have 5 out of the 7 wires that is listed in the diagram. Am I missing wires or is the diagram incorrect or am I reading it wrong?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

You guys ever thought about polyurethane on your plastic? I know most of of the guys I rap with here have new plastic, but mine was looking like someone tied it to the back of their pickup and drove around on a gravel road for a few days. So, I decided to repaint and polyurethane it. I was able to sand all the big gouges out and I'm almost down to a mirror shine. I figure it would be good to cover stickers so the power washer cant peel them off. If it holds up on hardwood floors, it should be decent on my plastic.</end quote></div>

Sounds like a great idea to me!
My only concern would be if the constant the flexing would crack it?

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.