Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

I have got my quad almost finished now, Thanks to all the help from the guys on this site, except one dude who ripped me on like $175 in parts but nothing you can do. Only needs some brake work and she will be finished for now. Heading back to school in sept. and that means full access to the shop, including lathe, mill and CNC machine.
So a few things taht i wanna build in the fall include
+4 custom fab swing arm,
+2 front a-arm brackets
and maybe a few trick items such as shift lever and brake pedal
I got some pics in my profile let me know what you think this is what i got done to it so far

got custom k&n pod filter direct mount to the carb
rebuilt and jetted carb
Custom built nerfs
reeds, twist throttle, new bars, new pads all around,
Freshly rebuilt engine
Painted frame, and A-arms,
12/39 gearing
cut plastics up front
new poly pivots in front
Like i said still need to get all the brakes dialed in. (Anyone ever have problems when bleeding these brakes, any help would be good)

Last thing is i gotta give sahzzokee a shout out cause he helped me huge with sending me info and even pics.

Cheers
PAul

Old 08-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had issues with bleeding the rear, however I just kept at it and it finally came out ok. It did not take long, just did not go as smoothly as I thought it would as the reservoir holds very little.

What did you use for the direct connect K&N?

Old 08-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

I tried to bled the brakes for days man, it is messed. I've bleed numerous brakes and for sum reason these mount go. The front calipers feel perfect. Did you ever have any problems with the line or the spliter for the brake lines for the front. Cause i got no idea waht i could be. I'm almost postive my back caliper needs a rebuild as it is in rough shape.

Cheers
Paul

Ps. I'll try to post a few more pics of my quad later. Finally seup my bio

Old 08-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

As for the K&N pod filer it bolted directly on to the carb, measured of a the intake diameter and bought the K&N filter accordingly. The boyz at mopac helped me out to insure it provided enough air flow so it's good helped alot.
Gotta tune the carb a lil to idol nicer with the new filter.
I'll try to snap a picture of the setup

Cheers
Paul

Old 08-23-2006, 06:46 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

paulters
Are you having trouble bleeding the front and back brakes?
The fronts can be a little tricky because you have to worry about air in both lines at the same time. Have you rebuilt the master cylinders? You can be drawing air into the system every time you apply the brakes to bleed it off.
As far as the custom parts:
the +4 swing arm is a great idea ( but i maybe partial). Extend it between the shock mnt. and bearing housing and you cant go wrong. But what I want to see is someone build a "PRO-LINK" setup for a 230s. I have been looking into this for awhile now. The swinger could be streached 4", and add a little to the ride height. But if the shock could be set up as a P.L. it could be droped up to 4" without looseing any ground clearence. More on that later though.
Good luck on the a-arm brackets. That just gives me a headache thinking about it. I used 1.5" wheel spacers from a Q racer and the front wheels have a 1" off- set. The front shocks were worn so I ordered a set of Works, set up for a machine with +2 a-arms. It worked out great. The machine has a much wider stance and corners much better than stock.
But.......... it does feel a little tippy at times. And it leaves the front calipers exposed a little. I can send pics if that would help.

Please, keep us informed on the progress of your mods.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah those brakes are a pain in the ***, the front ones should be fine, the caliper looks to be good, the back one may need a rebuild but not sure they are not much fun.

Has any one seen these widening brackets, There is a company that makes them however they do not make them for the 230's. I have seen them on a few quads and seams like a good way to extended your A-arms out wider without needing to get a whole a-arm kit. All these brackets do is move the mounting holes out however far you want your stance widened. They are braced accross to the other sides mounting holes so they are very sturdy by the looks of it. I should be able to machine the brackets for fairly cheap. So i'll keep you up to date on it all.

As for the swing arm extension i was playing with the idea of fabbing up a completely new swing arm, maybe completly tubular. Not sure what the plan is yet going to layout a few ideas on CAD and see waht comes out of it.
I've been looking at a few sites for ideas. Big MC, was is easy to fab the swing arm you made. Welding wise was it not to bad to work on. Any tips are always helpfull

Once i get a few plans done up i'll share them on here and see what you guys think of it.

Cheers

Paul

Old 09-18-2006, 12:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey im looking for a big bore kit for my 230, how much am i going to have to spend here?

Old 09-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on if you do the work yourself or not. FST has one and MAD Man Engineering has one as well.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:47 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

adamsquadport
Hay man, nice ride..........for a FORD[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
How bout some pics of the quad.
As far as the big bore kit, some mans. require an order of at least 4. ( or so ive heard). Im in the market for one myself. Need to get a few folks together and make an order huh????
Good to hear from you.

BigMc

Old 09-19-2006, 01:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey thanks, im a big ford fan, i built the explorer in my garage, it was stock when i got it, and for the big bore kit, i called MAD today and they quoted me 470, cylinder and piston. thats a little more than im willing to spend, they didnt say anything about ordering no less than 4 though. ive got the whole engine apart right now, thats the way i got it. the crank is in the shop getting my new rod kit put on it, and im ordering my wiseco piston this week, planned on going 60 over with it, is this a good idea? im also ordering the DG exhaust for it, and im thinking of getting the web cams stage 1 cam, im trying to get this thing faster than a 400 ex. Does anyone know where i can get a carb? vince's doesnt have any right now, if not, how will it run with the cam and stock carb?

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.