Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Check you cam chain. Is it tight? I decided to tighten mine last night. Then I fired it up and heard the most god awful ticking. I pulled the valve cover off (been needing to fix that leak anyway) and found the cam chain was loose! WTF! I just tightened it! Turns out my adjuster wasn't working right. Also, you have to tighten the chain with the piston at TDC. I didnt know that either.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Right now, just a few minutes ago I pulled in from a hard ride and had to turn the idle screw to idle it up. Seems like everytime I pull in to stop I have to idle it up. In other words... The hotter it gets, the less it wants to idle... Telling me I need to try the #10 pilot or a leaner needle or figure out a way to get more exhaust backpressure.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Range Rover

I never replaced the chain when doing the cam, rockers and piston..

Maybe your on to something here..

Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

HANDLEBARS! What do you guys know about handlebars? Mine suck! My wrists n forearms are killing me after only 1/2 hr of riding. What do you guys use? What's the science behind it all? I can't figure out if I want shorter or longer or angled back more or what? I'm like totally confused and I want to ride more, but my wrists hurt too much.

PG, I know you've been riding for-like-ever,,, what do you use?

Old 12-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Right now, just a few minutes ago I pulled in from a hard ride and had to turn the idle screw to idle it up. Seems like everytime I pull in to stop I have to idle it up. In other words... The hotter it gets, the less it wants to idle... Telling me I need to try the #10 pilot or a leaner needle or figure out a way to get more exhaust backpressure.</end quote></div>

I'm running the stock pipe, and its running hotter than a mold. Like red turbo hot on a dragster. Something isnt adding up with these 28's I've been dealing with that idle problem for a while. I think it just chokes too much. If anything shouldn't we be going richer to cool the motor?

Old 12-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mjlar94

I never replaced the chain when doing the cam, rockers and piston..

Maybe your on to something here..</end quote></div>

Make sure its at TDC and then take the adjuster screw all the way out and clean the threads. Then put it back in and tighten it down as much as you can w/o stripping the threads. Then tighten the lock nut. Should be good.

Now take the valve cover off to make sure the chain is tight. While your in there, take a look at the cam and all and make sure everything looks ok.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mjlar94

Right now, just a few minutes ago I pulled in from a hard ride and had to turn the idle screw to idle it up. Seems like everytime I pull in to stop I have to idle it up. In other words... The hotter it gets, the less it wants to idle... Telling me I need to try the #10 pilot or a leaner needle or figure out a way to get more exhaust backpressure.</end quote></div>

I'm running the stock pipe, and its running hotter than a mold. Like red turbo hot on a dragster. Something isnt adding up with these 28's I've been dealing with that idle problem for a while. I think it just chokes too much. If anything shouldn't we be going richer to cool the motor?</end quote></div>

Yes, but you have that lean needle. I have a rich needle. That is the difference in our carbs. We both need to meet in the middle.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

HANDLEBARS! What do you guys know about handlebars? Mine suck! My wrists n forearms are killing me after only 1/2 hr of riding. What do you guys use? What's the science behind it all? I can't figure out if I want shorter or longer or angled back more or what? I'm like totally confused and I want to ride more, but my wrists hurt too much.

PG, I know you've been riding for-like-ever,,, what do you use?</end quote></div>

I use Pro taper anti vibration bars, wider and shorter, with anti vibe insterts (lil things that go in the ends), and gel grips... The stock handlebars made my arms go to sleep, too high up, like one of my Pop's Harleyz with ape hangers.. AND lots of forearm excercises.[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] I have noticed that if I don't wear gloves, I end up with similar fatigue. Probably grip harder barehanded.. And of course WORKS SHOCKS!!! Those guys should pay me, for as much as I hype em![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Do you know how wide they are? Any other measurements? Mine are 32 inches wide and 24 inches wide where I put my hands (close to the light switches n that).

Old 12-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Also, scratch everything I said about 13/39 with 20's being a good combo... Still too low. I can rev out 5th in my yard! I'm going to look around the net for a 37-38 rear. I know that somebody makes them down to 35.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.