Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

PG, how you feeling? Been pretty quiet today.

My bud wanted one of those integrated compression/clutch levers too. I'm wondering if you don't use the parking brake if you can just hook the decomp cable into that and scrap the parking brake cable. Then you can get rid of the whole decomp lever. You think it would work?

That 250 4wd I got is sweet... dispite being in a fire. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] All 35 gears work, but everything made of plastic is gone, lol. Another neat thing is the engine is the same thing as a 250s. I'm going to tear it down and tear down the 230 and compare the 2,,, I have lots of time to wait for the swingarm to be rebuilt anyway. Oh, I got my 250 shocks today... Just in time to sit on the shelf for a few weeks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Crappy day. Had to have my dog put down.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] As if I'm not moody enough with the pain meds!

I think I am going to use a clutch assembly with a built in hot start lever. Picked up one at the cycle dismantler a couple months ago for $5 just cause it looked cool. The lil hot start lever should have enough leverage to open it.

What year is the 4x4?They really have 35 gears???

Old 12-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ah man, sorry about your dog. Ever since I moved here I have had a lot of pets killed in the road out front. I know how that feels.

I'm not sure what a hot start lever is... ?

Well, the guy told me its a 95, but the 10th digit in the vin is an "L" and I "think" that means 1990, but not sure. Anyway, the bill o sale says 95. I think they were made from 88-02 and the only difference is the style of carb. The early ones had a 24mm and the later ones a CV type. Mine was a CV and had a fitting end... it was burned to a crisp! As they all should be....

They say 35 forward gears, but not really. It has 1-5 in 3 ranges, so 3x5=15. And then 4x2 or 4x4, so that's 15x2=30. And then the diff can only lock in superlow range so add another 5 for 35 gears. But it really only has 15 different gear ratios, which is a lot! I'm a gear head and I've always wanted one of those quads... Now I like it even more since its basically a .080 over 230 with 4wd and oodles of gears. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

I did the math and in 1st gear in superlow range it will do 4mph at 8000rpm. And in 5th gear in high range it will go 46mph. The only thing I dont like is that the front tires are 21's and since the backs are 25's and the gearing matches the tires,,, I'd have to have 29's or 30's on the back to run 25's on the front. ....and that might look like a tractor more than a quad, lol.

So, now I've spammed everybody on ebay that lists any 250 4wd parts with hopes of a package deal of plastic stuff that goes on that quad. All the cables that control all those gears are basically gone. All the shifter ***** are melted too. You can only imagine what happened to the gas tank. Even the coil had melted and exploded. Airbox is totally missing as is the carb boot that hooks to the engine. I dont know how the fire started, but I can see why it got so hot... There is a fuel pump at the front that kept feeding a nice stream of gas to the middle of the quad for who knows how long.... I guess until the tank finally melted and dumped all the gas all over the yard.

About 10 yrs ago a buddy had an olds cutlas with a 455 and a double pumper with electric fuel pumps. Well, he took the carb off to do some work and somebody tried to steal the car that night. It caught fire and 2 electric fuel pumps ran all the gas all over the alley where it was parked and burnt the car to a crisp... along with his garage. ...Talk about bad days!

Old 12-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

Hot start is fancy name for comp release.lever is Just about 1/2 in long VS 2 1/2-3in long, just looks cleaner. Not a long lever sitting on top of your bars.. Look at your rockymountain catalog under controls.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

Hey.. I am new to the Forum, but wanted to start off saying Thanks for all the discussion on the LT230! It may take most of the day to read back over what you have covered, but it beats trial and error! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I recently purchased (2) LT230's to build w/my son (looking for a project bike and to move him up from his Yamaha 80) and could not believe the features Suzuki put into theLT230 here...just hope it runs as well as it's designed!

I can post a few pics once I spend a bit of time learning to navigate..but as you can guess I am in knees and elbows deep into most of the issues found after 20 yrs. I am reading to see if someone found a 3-4+ swingarm replacement and matching extended A-Arms donors. I have a spare rolling frame if splicing my spare SQ swingarm is best. Like most I suspect, I like to think welding and ability will save me $$ and time. I am not a purist (hope that is not offensive) so swapping to a new bolt pattern would only free up a second set of spare rims!

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2007, 01:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey there 4xJeep! Welcome to the board!

I'm not sure any of us are puritans. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Since you mentioned swingarm I figured I'll go look at what all the "cool" quads have and try to guess where we need to be. Looks like everything 450cc and up has right about 50 inches of wheelbase. The 350 raptor has 47.6. The 400ex has 48.4. All the 250's seem to have just over 44 for some reason. So, I'm guessing a +4 on the swingarm would be ok if you at least get up in the mid 40's on your width (like all the "big" quads have).

PoolGod, I think your bud with the 440ex (400ex w/big bore kit???) started off with 48.4 and added the +4 to end up with 52.4 and hated it because it was 2 inches longer than the biggest quad out. The buddy with the +2 liked it because it put him about equal with the big quads. If we go +4, we'll still be 2 inches shorter than the big'ens.... But I dont think it will be quite right until you add the width in the front too.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome 4xjeep.. Check your swing arm condition and bearings (weakest link on the machines) and make sure you ALWAYS have a case guard to counteract this weakness

Old 12-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer

its been a long time. I spent a few hours reading up on what ive missed. glad to see some new interest in this awesome forum. glad to see some familiar names still typing in answers to people. this forum is the best 230 help out there. keep it up!

my 87 lt230s is still running strong. I have been building a blaster project and working on starting my e-bay store.

I wanted to let all you deserving folks to know that I have cleaned up and even painted a few of my spare 230 parts and posted them on e-bay recently. they are all listed as lt230 and are easy to find if you want to look. my e-bay id is Clean_salvaged_parts here is a link to my page. http://myworld.ebay.com/clean_salvaged_parts I just started this name that I will be changing to a store.

I am in great regard to all of you that helped me with my 230 and due to buying parts i needed off e-by I have decided to make money with clean parts becuase everything I got used on e-bay was dirty. I am investing in a powder coat system next so I can get parts even nicer.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome back fishguy!

Old 12-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

how have you been P G. sorry about the pooch. last I heard you where forced to start over, hope thats well and you where able to retrieve your stuff back.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.