Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Here you can see that I welded a support over the frame and it still fits under the plastic.

Name:  aDCP_1598.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  99.7 KB

Old 12-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

That looks like it will hold it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I am posting the last set of pics..not much to show since its in the tear-down and inspection phase. They will post once they pass thru the gauntlet.

I bought the S as a rolling chasie, motor from another that ended up missing the lower end of the rod![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] you know how that goes..it was in there, broke a mounting pin in the case and a few teeth on a gear... After eBay(case, gears, etc) and a GOKI starter assembly while I was there.. I found an E locally, good price, complete, but running poorly. I looks like I will start out w/the E and see where it goes.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

One of the great things about these quads is the weight. The 85 n 86 weighed 309 dry and the later yrs weighed about 30lbs more (for some reason). Since you have an 87 already and now talking about an E or a goki, I wanted to point out the weight issue and have you be sure what you wanna do. I'd hate to see you break the 350lb mark, since the E weighs in at 379! The new R450 weighs 368lbs for reference.... its the benchmark quad ya know. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

If yours is hard to start and that is why you want an E, then you might get a new stator coil ($40-$60 new) even if the old one "checks out". My bud's 250s and his newly acquired 230 both start on 1 kick (really more like half a kick). Mine starts on 2 kicks.

Oh, and if you decide to lengthen your a-arms, dont make the mistake I did by figuring wheel offsets or wheel spacers and concluding you can go shorter. Make your arms so that you can use stock rims with no spacers and still be as wide as you want (ie 46-48 inches). I might actually make a new set someday coz wheel spacers and offset rims suck! They just beat the hell out of tierods, balljoints, a-arm bearings, wheel bearings, and ME! Especially now that I have 23's on the front.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks..to back track a bit.. I have 2 bikes now..the E is running and the S is all parts. I like the option of a electric start, and the GOKI became available at the time, so its on the shelf as an option.

I've decided to build the E first, and plan to modify the length and width while rebuilding the engine. Based on the string (still reading, you've spaned years!) I have not seen where anyone has found a stock Swingarm or A-Arm swap...modifications or after market may be the only way to go? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

I am still digging and would be glad to provide my findings if folks are interested.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider

We're still waiting for someone to take the plunge and try something and see if it fits. I think we've determined the 250r arms will work, with some cutting on the bearings. But that is still in info-gathering stage mostly coz I dont see anyone rushing out to get 250r arms, lol. Maybe something in aftermarket is around for the 250r still, but the 230 parts are all gone except what might pop up on ebay.

I'm interested in whatever you come up with,,, and I'm sure there are others here ready with pen in hand!

Old 12-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 4xJeep

Thanks..to back track a bit.. I have 2 bikes now..the E is running and the S is all parts. I like the option of a electric start, and the GOKI became available at the time, so its on the shelf as an option.

I've decided to build the E first, and plan to modify the length and width while rebuilding the engine. Based on the string (still reading, you've spaned years!) I have not seen where anyone has found a stock Swingarm or A-Arm swap...modifications or after market may be the only way to go? [img][/img]

I am still digging and would be glad to provide my findings if folks are interested.</end quote></div>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

We're still waiting for someone to take the plunge and try something and see if it fits. I think we've determined the 250r arms will work, with some cutting on the bearings. But that is still in info-gathering stage mostly coz I dont see anyone rushing out to get 250r arms, lol. Maybe something in aftermarket is around for the 250r still, but the 230 parts are all gone except what might pop up on ebay.

I'm interested in whatever you come up with,,, and I'm sure there are others here ready with pen in hand!</end quote></div>

Well I plan on taking the plunge with the LT250R a-arms. My biggest worry is shocks. Where our frame shock mount is located seems to me to be far lower then that of a 250r's. I'm afraid with a much longer a-arm and using our stock shock frame mount the shock geometry will be waaay flat and yes I have widened the atv but I have caused a much worse suspension situation.

The only way around that is to create something like what's in this link for the shock Shock Mounting Hardware and adjusting the geometry of the shock for optimum performance.

It's going to take me a little longer then I originally thought because of Christmas and wife just bought a female bulldog for $3k....btw she (bulldog)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] is in heat and we are starting the breeding process today so if anyone is interested in a bulldog puppy let me know, they would be ready around March time frame.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

Don't ask PG!!! Okay here goes, English Bulldog??? Can't believe I am even asking!

Old 12-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer

im sure you have g-force, but I gotta ask. my family breeds dogs a bit. you do know that that is one of the most difficult breeds. including a manditory c-section for birth. i am sure you do just throwing it out there becuase people are not told such things when they buy pets. I dont mean to be nosey or rude just being friendly with info.

hope to get my pics up later today at the garage. probably wont be till late. if i remember to burn them to a disk so I can get them to the garage computer. thanks for the photobucket info randy. I am picking up a honda 110 atc today to start polishing for my e-bay store. i cant wait to go beat this up for a few days before I tear it down. I always take the running ones to the pit to romp on a bit.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, english bulldog. And talked to my wife just a little bit ago and she said pups would be ready to go not in March but in May...assuming the breeding goes well. Bulldogs are in theory hard to get pregnant.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: fishguybri

im sure you have g-force, but I gotta ask. my family breeds dogs a bit. you do know that that is one of the most difficult breeds. including a manditory c-section for birth. i am sure you do just throwing it out there becuase people are not told such things when they buy pets. I dont mean to be nosey or rude just being friendly with info.

hope to get my pics up later today at the garage. probably wont be till late. if i remember to burn them to a disk so I can get them to the garage computer. thanks for the photobucket info randy. I am picking up a honda 110 atc today to start polishing for my e-bay store. i cant wait to go beat this up for a few days before I tear it down. I always take the running ones to the pit to romp on a bit.</end quote></div>

Yep done a ton of research and actually the c-section is not mandatory but most people when it comes to bulldogs go ahead and schedule one anyway to avoid free whelping. We are going to try free whelping because my mother-in-law has birthed litters all her life in fact she just delivered my sister-in-laws scotty's pups 4 days ago. If it looks like the birth is going south then we will take her in for an emergency c-section. But I am hoping it goes well because this is going to sound funny but she has the biggest vagina I have ever seen lol, I mean it's not because she is in heat it was huge to start with, my brother-in-law laughs at her all the time because he says it looks like a male dog walking around with ***** slapping thighs.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.