Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Since you are gonna do surgery on the swinger, gonna extend it?

Old 12-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

HA! My wife just called and made me promise her I won't wheel out into the garage in my wheel chair to mess with the quad! I promised, not until Monday!

Man that woman can yell! [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

I could never do it, lol. I'd have to sneak out there and do something even if its just straightening the wires under the gas tank. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif" border="0[/IMG]</end quote></div>

Between the pain meds and the swelling, hard enough to get to this keyboard!
Not gonna mess this one up by going to fast, did that too many times as a youth![img]i/expressions/clock.gif[/img]

Monday I move to crutches and physical therapy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Man I hate PT!! Always starts with a beautiful lil sweetheart, you fantasize about, by the 3rd trip you wanna kill her!

Back to subject... The vibration? That has me confused... the only time I had any vibration in the bike was when the machinist "forgot" to do whatever it is they do the the crank on the 273. No problems .20 over .40 over weiscos on the 230 or .80 on the 400ex.. Think they sent you the wrong piston?? crank messed up, rod bent? I am sure you will enlighten me... Forgive me, but I have nothing but time to think latley.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 12-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Since you are gonna do surgery on the swinger, gonna extend it?</end quote></div>

Yeah, I guess we decided another 4 inches would look cool. But I think I will do it different than BigMc did (if I remember right). I'm going to move the shock back with the axle. Then make a new top shock mount that is 4 or so inches back too. That way there is not 4 inches more leverage on the spring. I can still use stock shocks if I want (and they should be stiffer just due to geometry - so I can relax some preload - less preload too means less stress on the s-arm bearings). I just wonder if it will affect my ability to slide around like I like. The longer the swingarm, the less it will want to slide. I think the best thing to do is lengthen the front, but that is a lot of work and then how do I stretch the plastic? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Forgive me, but I have nothing but time to think latley.......[img][/img]</end quote></div>

Just dont go turning into Stephen Hawking on me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Forgive me, but I have nothing but time to think latley.......[IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

Just dont go turning into Stephen Hawking on me. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif" border="0[/IMG]</end quote></div>

One of my heros!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

I think +2 would be perfect. one of my buds did +4 on his 440EX and hated it, his friend did +2 on his 440EX and loved it. Yeah, they both got big bore fever at the same time.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Back to subject... The vibration? That has me confused... the only time I had any vibration in the bike was when the machinist "forgot" to do whatever it is they do the the crank on the 273. No problems .20 over .40 over weiscos on the 230 or .80 on the 400ex.. Think they sent you the wrong piston?? crank messed up, rod bent? I am sure you will enlighten me... </end quote></div>

Well, it will be a while before I yank the jug off. I might yank the head and do a general inspect and mill job,,, n maybe a porting job.

I dont know if its the right piston or not, but it was a tight fit! I can tell ya that much. We spent a LONG time trying to get the rings to go in the cylinder. There was no chamfer at the bottom like on most engines.

Its not making any unusual noises, just a faint valve tickin,,, normal. The vibrations aint that bad if the engine mounts are tight. That day the mounts all came loose my hands were starting to hurt from the vibrations,,, then it started knocking and that's what lead me to the problem.

Oh, while you have some time to kill, go read the lakota threads in the kawi section. There is a good link over there I posted about porting. I found that 5yrs ago when I was researching how to port my 460. I guess same principles apply to all engines. Priceless info there.

I have to run to atlanta n pick up a 250 lt4wd. I've always wanted one of those. Gonna retire the bayou from working and apply the same "randy" engineering to the 4wd. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 12-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I think +2 would be perfect. one of my buds did +4 on his 440EX and hated it, his friend did +2 on his 440EX and loved it. Yeah, they both got big bore fever at the same time.</end quote></div>

Hmmm... when I get back I'll look into the wheelbase of the 400ex and compare it to the 230. Vince told me the 230 frame is about perfect n you dont really want to go longer in the back,,, that is the problem with the warrior he is having to deal with now,,, it has no traction. He agreed that, if anything, go longer in the front. But, I'll do some wheelbase research when I get home later.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Next time you talk to vince, see if he has anymore of those cool clutch/decompression set ups!! I quit asking over a year ago, good lookin setup!
Hotlanta?? Wow, if my wife weren't over my shoulder, could tell you some stories about that town!! Good times!! As a single man of course![img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

Old 12-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Next time you talk to vince, see if he has anymore of those cool clutch/decompression set ups!! I quit asking over a year ago, good lookin setup!

Hotlanta?? Wow, if my wife weren't over my shoulder, could tell you some stories about that town!! Good times!! As a single man of course![img][/img]</end quote></div>

Vince told me he was out of the parts business,,, at least for the 230. Next time I'll talk to him will be when I pop my crank out and send it off to him, lol.

All atlanta is to me is horrible traffic. Anyway, I just got home n needing to get out there and get unloaded.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.