Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 09:30 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Here's another one to stir the pot.
What kind of tires do you all run? And why?
Ive been considering trying a different tire. I was reading my December 06 dirtwheels mag. They have a shootout between several rear tires under 75 bucks.
They likened the Carlise Turf Tamer to the ITP Holeshot. I run ITP's Holeshot XCR's. I like the taller tire (i.e. ground clearence ) and the radial is great for side bite. Fronts are 23 x 7 x 10 with a 2/5 offset and the rears are 22 x 11 x 9 with a 3/6 offset.

Does/have anyone run the T.T's and what is your opinion of them? Oh, and I dont mean "ahh their great man". Details, I need details.

Hope to hear from anyone, even if your not lucky enough to own a 230[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img],,,,,,,,,,, That can open a big can in itself cant it.

Oh, By the way, I have new pic's. Its amazing what a little sunshine will do for and old quad. 20 years old as of october.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did you guys remove your valve guides? is their a way to do it at home with simple garage tools? suggestions would be great. just need a simple and cheap way as i have no $$$$ right now.

hey, what way do the valve guides press out? towards the top of the head or the bottom towards the cylinder.
Got all the parts ordered from bikebandit so they should be here in a week or so. I will let you guys know how it turns out when i get everything.

The T.T.'s do pretty good as long as you mainly ride dry and hard to intermidate terrain. If you ride in loose stuff and mud they tend to get clogged up with mud and dont clean out very well because of the closely spaced *****. hope this helped you some.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

BigMc what size sprockets are you running with the 22's?
The lt250s gearing is way to low. I dont know if the 230s are the same but mine has a 12t front and a 39t rear.
i would like to find a better gearing set up. i'm always left in the dust when i go riding with the big bores and just a little more speed would be enough
to keep up with them.

Does anyone know a good 20"-22" sport tire that hooks up good in mudd and handles good?

adamsquadsport do you still have the electric starter? If so let me know very interested in it.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adamsquadsport, sent you a private message last Wednesday about the GOKI electric start. Let me know if you're still interested.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:48 PM
BigMc

Originally posted by: quadsportlt250s
BigMc what size sprockets are you running with the 22's?The lt250s gearing is way to low. I dont know if the 230s are the same but mine has a 12t front and a 39t rear.i would like to find a better gearing set up. i'm always left in the dust when i go riding with the big bores and just a little more speed would be enoughto keep up with them. Does anyone know a good 20"-22" sport tire that hooks up good in mudd and handles good?adamsquadsportText do you still have the electric starter? If so let me know very interested in it.
Stock, 13/39, that's what im running.
Word to all ( this is not intended toward you alone quadsportlt250s ). As far as keeping up with the "BIG BORES" all I can say is that you can put money into the 230/250 all day long and you will NOT match a 400. Sorry. The 230 was intended to fill a spot that, at the time, did not exist. Sporty with good tourgue. And fun for an entry level passenger. If you want to run with the bigger boys (of todays tech) its time to upgrade. ( Yes.... you heard it here first folks).........................................Sux dont it?

This thread is intended to keep the 85 to 89 Q.S. alive. You can make the Q.S. run very hard. And with its light weight and nimble woods handling, can hold its own in the tight stuff. But in the open, it would be tuff to say.
But, there are several upgrades that can be done, other than the gearing thing of course. Suspension is the first one I like to tackle. Then engine mods. Filter, carb re-jetting, exhaust, carb (re-re-jetting or replacing), piston and cam/valve train, ditto on the carb thing again. In that order.
Its been my experience that the first to the corner has the best chance in the straight. The suspension is critical here. Then the added power can be on tap to pull you through.
As far as a tire, lighter is better, unless your looking for a tougher tire. One that will last more than a season or two. When looking for a good tire, check out the weight. And use the lighter aluminum wheel. Every bit counts ya know.

Ive gotten long winded. And I hate long winded......................Latter.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: albung
anyone got a extra swingarm layin round for lt 230 s?????
I do, PM me if you are interested.

BigMc, I am running Kendas on the rear in 20's. they hook up real nice. I run hills, straights, fields in both wet and dry conditions. How do youlike the 23's on the front?

Old 10-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: quadsportlt250s
how did you guys remove your valve guides? is their a way to do it at home with simple garage tools? suggestions would be great. just need a simple and cheap way as i have no $$$$ right now.

hey, what way do the valve guides press out? towards the top of the head or the bottom towards the cylinder.
Got all the parts ordered from bikebandit so they should be here in a week or so. I will let you guys know how it turns out when i get everything.

The T.T.'s do pretty good as long as you mainly ride dry and hard to intermidate terrain. If you ride in loose stuff and mud they tend to get clogged up with mud and dont clean out very well because of the closely spaced *****. hope this helped you some.
again can anyone help me with the valve guides?????? please

Old 10-30-2006, 09:49 PM
BigMc

UGLY88! What up dude? Long time no hear.
I had a set of Vipers once. Now that was a good all over tire. Huge lugs and a round profile for in the sticky. Does Kenda still make the Viper? I remember getting them because they were a 2 ply tire and very light. Any way.
Yeah the 23 inch XCR's are a very good tire they track straigt as an arrow. ITP does not make a bad holeshot. There radials, that gives then an advantage in side bite and contact patch compared to a bias ply tire.
But, what I have noticed is that with the lack of sidewall "roll" (very stiff sidewall) it tends to make the machine feel a bit tippy. You really have to be careful about direction changes. 2 wheeling is no fun in fith gear ( on a quad ). My 230 is +5 over stock in the front, +6 in the rear, and it still wants to kick up unless your weight is well inside.
The main reason I picked these though is because of the added ground clearence. Every little bit helps ya know.
Oh and by the by. I think albung has a 86 Q.S. Let me stress " I think".

quadsportlt250s
Your a brave sole my friend. You are wanting to do something that truly intimidates me. There are only two parts I will not try to renew at home. One is the crank shaft and the other is the valve guides. It is so very important that both of these are done perfectly that id rather pay GOOOOOOD money than risk killing my engine.
Have you considerd sending it off to a good shop? While they have it they might be able to hook you up with a 3 angle grind and a new set of valves. Im considering this on the engine project im working on.
I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but its what you need to consider. Sorry man.
Oh, and one other thought, the entire head can be picked up pretty cheap off Ebay...............
Just a thought.

Good luck.
BigMC

Old 10-30-2006, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Big Mc how do you like the holeshots in muddy conditions, also how do they wear the terrain i ride is mostly hardpacked and rocky. btw im runnin 21-7-10 trac aces up front and 22-12-8 woollyboggers on honda steelies out back. after the winter im lookin into new tires and i want holeshots but dont know if they would last im looking for a 2 year tire if i dont destroy it before hand.any advice is much apreciated

Old 10-31-2006, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah BigMc, it has been a while since I posted on this thread I have been reading it all though. I do not know about the VIpers from Kenda. The ones I have are the stockers off a DS 650. Got them for free so I am not complaining. They really grab though, but still allow you to kick it out in the turns. The fronts I have are GBC Razors and track really well, I was looking at theholeshots in 23" but I found these in 21 on clearance for $29 ea.

Will a 87 swing arm bolt up to a 86? IF so he can look for a 87 and up carrier and it will be an upgrade.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.