Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

By the way MalHombre, your discription kills me~! "Buncha stickers and stuff" UNDERSTATEMENT!!!
Humility, gotta learn that some day..............[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2007, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PG if you wanna send your motor i'm sure he'd be glad to do it. he prefers to do a bottom to top rebuild when going this deep.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

250 s head has different position of mounting exhaust. On 250 exhaust goes straight out of head where 230 goes out at a lil angle

Old 11-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

I really hope the clymer repair manual shows how to replace the valves, guides and seals cause I have the manual, valves, guides and (complete gasket set)seals on order. This will be my first time tearing the motor (top end) apart on anything.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

I really hope the clymer repair manual shows how to replace the valves, guides and seals cause I have the manual, valves, guides and (complete gasket set)seals on order. This will be my first time tearing the motor (top end) apart on anything.</end quote></div>

Gonna go for it eh? You are braver than I.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I will check the book tonight and get back to you. Wish I had a scanner to put in PDF so we could have easy access to it.....

Old 11-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

I really hope the clymer repair manual shows how to replace the valves, guides and seals cause I have the manual, valves, guides and (complete gasket set)seals on order. This will be my first time tearing the motor (top end) apart on anything.</end quote></div>

You won't be able to replace the guides on your own. A shop will have to do it. They are pressed in. You could, however, buy a knurling kit and knurl the guides and then ream them to size, but that doesn't last as long as replacing them. Guides are not something any shop wants to replace because it is difficult and there is a risk of cracking an aluminum head. In a car I will just buy a valve with a larger stem and ream the guide out for the new stem. I doubt they sell atv valves this way, but never know...

Replacing the seals you will need a decent size c-clamp and a folded piece of metal or a tube with big slots cut out in one end to compress the springs and get the little retainers out. Its easy once you have the right tools.

Then, if you're replacing the valves too you'll need a valve lapping kit from autozone or somewhere. Its a tube of girtty valve grinding compound and a wooden stick with suction cups at each end. You put the grit on the valve and seat and use the sucktion cups to turn the valve and grind a matching seal. This is something I always have to do myself... I don't know why these shops around here never do it... At least they could leave the valves out for me so I dont have to take them out, lol.

Other than that, since this is your first time taking any motor top off, just follow the directions carefully in the manual. Keep in mind everything is aluminum and the threads strip easily. Oh, and the head comes off a lot easier if the motor is out of the frame. You can do it in the frame, like I did, but it is a real pain and now I have oil leaking from my valve cover because the RTV got messed up trying to get it in place because of the frame. My gasket kit didn't come with a valve cover gasket, I had to use RTV.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 270quadsportguy

250 s head has different position of mounting exhaust. On 250 exhaust goes straight out of head where 230 goes out at a lil angle</end quote></div>

Thanks 270, I didn't know that... I guess they did that for a little better flow out of the exhaust. I have both quads in the garage right now, I'm gonna go check it out.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

PG, you should try the 5 gallon bucket idea. I think there is some science behind it. Just don't forget you will need a knitting needle to go along with the straw. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

I used to wonder if PoolGod meant you were really good at billiards or if you were a chick magnet at the swimming pool. It flew right over my head that you made pools. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Neat! I was thinking of putting a pond in my backyard/wooded area/camping grounds for some fishing n that when camping in the summers. There is an area back there that floods in the winter anyway and becomes home to some turtles n frogs. Just need to dig it out n add some fish I guess. Oh, and I guess we need RAIN too. Worst drought in 118 yrs for the TVA right now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

its fairly easy to change valves and seals,but like randy said shop has to do guides. go on ebay and buy a c clamp style spring compressor, 20$ will get ya one or u can rent them too. Just gotta be careful not to lose keepers and that spring dont go flying. Randy im not 100% sure on the 250 head but that is what i hear and the 250 has different exhaust part number so there must be some difference

Old 11-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

OMG! Just got a call from a friend here at work! He is picking up an '89, I think he said, LT500 zilla.............. I know it off subject, but if you all don't hear from me after Saturday, it is probably cause I am in the hospital![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.