Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

hello i have a 1987 suzuki 230 quadsport SH. i have owned it for 3 years now and have put a lot of work into it. when i got it it did not run. when i got it running (3 stators later off of ebay) it did not shift. so i tore it back apart and found out that the shift rod was not in postion correctly. fixing that and putting it back together i came into another problem the case started pouring out oil. back to ebay i had to buy another engine to swap cases. when tearing it apart i realized it was .60 over bore. and left it like that. it ran good for awhile till it started smoking (should have replaced the rings) i rode it smoking (going through a quart of oil a week) until one day it finally gave out. so this led to another rebuild. i tore it back apart and found wear on the valve rocker arms and a tiny bit on the cam. ebay once again (my favorite store lol) i got an older head with valve cover and cam. when comparing the 2 cams i realized the one i had b4 was a performance cam (the lift was a lot more when i measured) it has a steep slope and a quick drop off. i also found the connecting rod said vesrah on it (is this stock?). so all my parts finally came (.60 wiseco, new clutch rings, new stock chain + sprockets, new swing arm bearings, new cam chain) it went together quickly. with the head issue, i put new valve seals in it myself (a big pair of vise grips works to get the valve springs off). it is now running nice and strong once again. it also has carlisle trail wolfs all around stock size and they are pretty good for any terrain, and a custom mini motorcycle air filter. with all that said, i was wondering what would be the best exhaust for it and where can i get a jetkit to supply all of that? i can have an exhaust head pipe made if the muffler is not intended for the qs thank you for reading.....long live the 230!

Old 10-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Trailblazer

oh yeah it also has a twist throttle.... and i was wondering if anyone has a nice cheap set of plastics my front ones are ok but my back ones broke in half so i have none now. thanks

Old 10-31-2006, 08:49 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UGLY88
There is no diffrence in the frame or shock mounting points, the shocks are the same length, the brake hose is the same length. If your not using the parking brake, the caliper should bolt right up. Add an 87 and up bearing carrier and it should work fine.
The axles are different between 86 and newer ones. But I think its just the brake disc hub.
Mine was an early year 87 unit, It had the 3 bolt rear disc hub. I have since up graded to the 4 bolt unit and disc.

Heres a tip when replacing a swing arm and bearings, or just the bearings:
Drill, chamfer and tapp a hole in the pivot tube, in the center and where you can get a grease gun to it while on the machine, for a 1/4x20 zerk/grease fitting. Use red thread locker when installing the fitting. Replace the bearings and swing arm as per your manuel. Shoot a little grease in the fitting before each ride and you will extend the life of the swing arm bearing 5 fold. If the grease runs out the ends, just clean it up with a shop rag. And be careful not to loose the plastic cover.
No more C.C.O.S!!!! from a loose pivot bearing.
Ive done the same to my bearing carrier and front wheel hubs. Apply the good, wipe off the old and try not to push out the seels ( BAD THING pushing out the seels ya know).

Old 10-31-2006, 09:24 PM
BigMc

Hey Swartzy! How ya dooan? [ doo-an ]
Sounds like you have put a lot of TLC into your 230 atv. (Poet and didnt know it). Anyway.
A quart a week? WOW, No mosquitos in your neighborhood huh?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Did the high lift cam have a number punched into it? Should be near the sprocket end.
Versah is an aftermarket industry. The crank has been rebuilt at some point in it's life.
You can still get a pipe and header from DG. Cobra, RCM, Xccelerator and Krome power. Follow this link. It should put you right on it.
http://www.dgperf.com/atv/ATVproduct...+230&Submit=Go

They also offer a carb kit.
http://www.dgperf.com/atv/ATVproduct...+230&Submit=Go

I tried the twist throttle kit also. HATED IT. I felt a serious loss of control under hard throttle, in my opinion.
But I dont use the stocker either[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] They just dont fit aftermarket bars.

Glad to hear from you Swartzy. Got any good advice for Quadsportlt250s and his valve guide dilemma?

Keep those 230 stories coming.

BigMc

Old 10-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

um i lost that plastic cover but i check once a week for excessive play so i should be good. ill find something else to rig up

Old 10-31-2006, 09:43 PM
BigMc

Ahhhhh QS230, thats no big deal man. The only reason I said something is because im on my THIRD one. Live and try to learn I guess. The cover is more for looks than much else. I does keep the mud from packing in though. Keep the grime cleaned out and new grease in, and youll have no problems. ( with the pivot bearing anyway )

C.C.O.S. is not pretty. Weekly inspection is a great way to prevent it.
Can you put some pics up of you quad? Be great to see.

Latter

BigMc

Old 10-31-2006, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the sites although my carb is way different than the one pictured in the first link... mine does not bolt on like that it pushs into the rubber intake boot and a clamp tightens it for the exhaust.. i just bought an alloy DG RCM pipe off ebay tonight for $100 which was sorta dumb because there is a DG Krome power pipe for $110 (i heard they are better) if anyone is interested in that 1 just search atv exhaust in ebay! ill keep ya posted on how the pipe works for my setup.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

oh yeah... from the threads ive been reading mine may not be an 87 SH mine has a black frame orange plastics and a black seat but it has the plastic piece around the headlight it may be a clone? and does anyone know the stock axle length because my back hubs are 5 bolt like a quad racer and i was wondering if it was just the hubs or the whole axle that was changed its got pieces from a bunch of different quads on it lol! ill look at the cams #s when i tear the valve cover off once more because idiot me didnt change the o rings on the rocker shafts and now it leaks oil out of there! soooo much work to this thing....but its alll worth it in the end!

Old 10-31-2006, 11:07 PM
BigMc

The second link is to the carb kit. And the rubber plenium that attaches the stock carb to the head is replaced by the steel one in the pic. UGLY88 has one, ask him.

The 5 bolt rear hubs are of the 5/130 variety. They came on Quad Racers yes. But the Racers axle is larger. The 5 lug that fits the Sports axle came from the 230E Quadrunner. Auto clutch with Electric start.
The Q.Runner and Q.Racer both had/has the same bolt pattern and rear wheel size. (10x8)
I have a set of the same hubs in my spare parts bin. The 5/130's are much easier to find aftermarket wheels for ( that is, aluminum and more than an inch + offset) than the Sports stock 4/130's.
But there is a 3rd choice for replacement rear hubs (and much eaiser to
find by the way) ............any one know?

Oh. By the way, Your chain adjustment, Does it use two bolts, one on either side of the axle housing? Or is it a cam lobe design? Where you turn the whole carrier.

The following users liked this post:
NYJoeR 69 (12-12-2022)
Old 11-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

ill get pictures up tomorrow i have to resize them all and i dont feel like doin it now

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.