Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Matter o' fact all they sell is the rod kit no crank for the listed years 87-94.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Call Vince tomorrow. He'll do whatever it is that is necessary for the big bore kit to last as long as possible. I talked to him a few months ago and that is what he told me. About $125 with shipping. Not bad at all. I dont think the rod strength is the issue, so save your money with the rod kit. The bearings at the big end are the problem. He does something to them, not sure. You have to pick his brain. Also, let me know what he says coz I want to send him my crank n rod too.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

About the missing screw in the mag cover.... It says in the book to use locktite on those. I know they were pretty hard to get out when I changed my coils. I hope I used locktite,,, cant remember for sure. Surely I would have... Hmmm...

About the loosing valve adjuster.... I'm surprised you didnt notice a BIG loss of power before it came all the way out. That happened to me one time when I was screwing around with my lash setting on my bayou trying to get the most lowend torque out of it. I must have forgot to tighten the lock nut coz it came off and fell down next to the spring. I lost power all of a sudden,,, BIG TIME. I thought something major went wrong. But I fished the nut out with a magnet and all was well.

Another time I broke the tip off a screwdriver and it fell into the engine when I was trying to make the cam chain jump a tooth. This was also on the bayou. Well, months down the road I was out making trails and it died and I couldnt use the starter to crank it or the pull rope. THis was right after I milled the head and the cam chain ended up being too long and I knew that. So, I thought I would check it out. Sure enough, the screwdriver tip finally made its way in the cam chain and tied everything up. Not to mention scoring the hell outta my alternator. I took the tip out and put it back together and it still runs great to this day. Big workhorse around my place.

Buy, you must have run into some bad karma or something. First your steering stem broke, then no sooner do you get that fixed and you loose 2 nuts in one ride that totally destroys your engine??? Maybe all the 86's are cursed, coz your luck with them resembles mine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Back in the old days when japanese motorcycles first came on big in the US, the big joke was that every gas station you'd see a guy tinkering on his harley carb and the guy on the japanese bike would sail on past n never have a problem. So, they coined the phrase, "Harley ever runs." Kinda favors me and my 230. I go for a ride in the mountains and spend the next month or 2 fixing everything that went wrong. It Harley ever runs either, lol. But for some reason they never stopped tinkering and neither do I. "If we could just fix everything Suzuki gave up on in 1988, we'd have a helluva ride!" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2008, 08:54 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive often heard that just one little screw (not where it should be that is) could mess up a good thing. Case in point I guess.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Yep sounds like sound advice to me, I would much rather concentrate on the longetivity of the modified engine then Brand naming the inside just for the sake of saying "I have a Hot Rod Crank & Rod. So calling Vince and finding exactly what he thinks it will take to make it last and done right the first time makes sense.

Well you know what they say "When it rains it pours".[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] d It deffinitely poured for me this last week, but then it's a good excuse to start doing the mods I know I wouldn't have done if it was running (trying for the glass is half full, optimist thing).

Btw I did lose power badly right before it whoosed and poped. When I described it a few post back I had said that all of a sudden I lost power had the throttle wide open and was barely moving and then heard a whoosh and pop...dead.

I remember my dad and I used to laugh at his friends who had $25k Harleys and he had a 80's Suzuki GS1000 that he had picked up for $800, he would call them up to go riding and every single time it was the response "Can't, it's in the shop".

BigMC are we talking motors or woman? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2008, 09:24 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YES!!!!!!!!!.............<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

Yep sounds like sound advice to me, I would much rather concentrate on the longetivity of the modified engine then Brand naming the inside just for the sake of saying "I have a Hot Rod Crank & Rod. So calling Vince and finding exactly what he thinks it will take to make it last and done right the first time makes sense.

Well you know what they say "When it rains it pours".[img][/img] d It deffinitely poured for me this last week, but then it's a good excuse to start doing the mods I know I wouldn't have done if it was running (trying for the glass is half full, optimist thing).

Btw I did lose power badly right before it whoosed and poped. When I described it a few post back I had said that all of a sudden I lost power had the throttle wide open and was barely moving and then heard a whoosh and pop...dead.

I remember my dad and I used to laugh at his friends who had $25k Harleys and he had a 80's Suzuki GS1000 that he had picked up for $800, he would call them up to go riding and every single time it was the response "Can't, it's in the shop".

BigMC are we talking motors or woman? [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Old 01-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

I called Vince right after buying my 230 (around mid August 07) cause I was going to order some stuff from him, unfortunately he was moving away from the 230 stuff but his passion for the quad was unquestionable. We must have talked for about an hour and a half and his knowledge was astounding...so it will be nice to talk with him again. I will let everyone know what I find out, hopefully I can keep it straight. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

This guy LT230 claims to have put 250R shocks on his quad and it looks like he did from the pics...so I emailed him asking what year he pulled them from, hopefully I get a reply.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

So I received a reply and this is what he said.

"they're off an 86. i know 85-86 quadracers had the same shocks but am not sure about the newer ones.They are a 1/2" to an 1" longer but i cranked down the preload and they work great."

Good stuff!

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.