Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

You might need a new clutch and stiffer springs. Suzuki sorta "admitted" the 230 clutch was crap when they upgrade the 250's clutch with 2 extra disks. But you have the auto clutch???? So, you have 3 clutches on board. A primary clutch, a secondary clutch, and a one-way clutch. It could be your primary that is slipping. The primary clutch is a centrifugal clutch like a go-cart. The secondary is just like a quadsport clutch. You only use the secondary when shifting gears with the footshifter. No real reason for it to wearout unless you hold the footshifter down a little and rev the engine out and release the clutch to pop wheelies or something. If you're just shifting gears, it should last forever.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Gforce, have you considered moving south, lol. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Everybody freaks out here when it gets 34 degrees out.

I know what you mean about hands not working right... I took apart a 24x30 steel building last night and the temps were in the 30's somewhere with no gloves. My hands are still a little tingley.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Actually I have[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] My wife and I have decided when I retire from the Air Force in 4 years we are going to move to San Antonio. We were down there recently visiting my uncle and we absolutely loved it and a bonus is the housing market there makes Colorado's look like a big joke.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Texas,,, yeah, that's mighty south,,, mighty republican too, lol. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

If I had my choice of any where to live, I'd like to try New Hampshire. I'm tired of the government everywhere else. In NH you don't have to wear a seatbelt in a car, don't need a helmet on a bike, and I've even heard you don't have to have car insurance to drive. There is also no state income tax that I know of. The state motto is "live free or die". Sounds kinda refreshing after spending a couple yrs in GA. Here you can get a dui just for being in the same car as someone who gets a dui. You can even get a dui for loaning your car out to someone that gets a dui. I dont know what's to stop them from randomly handing out dui's in yrs to come ,lol. They have lots of roadblocks around here and the last one I was in cost me $150 for having a headlight out in a 2005 subaru baja that was not even mine. Kinda steep don't ya think? When I left the house the light was working..... What should I do??? Stop the car n check for a light out every 10ft??? Guess I should consider myself lucky though, I almost went to jail for not having my license with me. They couldn't spell my name right and couldn't verify I was licensed to drive. F$%#ing Goofballs! The lesson here.... Dont leave home!

Old 01-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

way off topic, and wrong brand. but i was browsing craigslist like always and came across this, http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/536795408.html is this guy full of **** or can it really do over 100mph

Old 01-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

He would have to change the gearing, but no reason to think the engine doesnt have enough power to make it go that fast. I'm kinda doubting it though,,,, but whatever.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

thats bs it wouldint do 114 mph in 4 th gear

Old 01-14-2008, 02:44 AM
Trailblazer

I have a few questions today. one is that I keep being told that the valves and th rocker arm cap are unique to each motor and can't be changed. I don't understand how two motors produced identicly in the same year even can need this. that would mean that I just got lucky and all three of my motors where the same by coincidence. becuase I am sure the rocker arm cover on my bike right now is not the one that came off my valve head. one of the top mounts was broke, and I only switched the top. could I be missinformed, please someone inlighten me.

to g force, I hope you have decided on a rebuild. the quad is so worth it, and you have put the effort into it being nice. I guaruntee if you find out what is broke that I have one and will help you out somehow. even if its the crank, I have two straight ones. they both have minor thread problems on the flywheel from the clowns who tore them apart wrong. thread work is easy enough, if you need I can rethread it too. KEEP IT ALIVE.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: fishguybri

I have a few questions today. one is that I keep being told that the valves and th rocker arm cap are unique to each motor and can't be changed. I don't understand how two motors produced identicly in the same year even can need this. that would mean that I just got lucky and all three of my motors where the same by coincidence. becuase I am sure the rocker arm cover on my bike right now is not the one that came off my valve head. one of the top mounts was broke, and I only switched the top. could I be missinformed, please someone inlighten me.</end quote></div>

Ummm... I would have to guess 'yes and no'. Its not that they are unique to each motor that causes me concern, its the fact that the cam bearings are cast into the head and the valve cover. So, if you swap a new cover on an old head with an old cam, something funky might happen with the cam bearings or the cam. Sorta like slapping a new sprocket on a quad with an old sprocket and chain. Other than that, I dont see any other reason to be affraid. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Valves are not unique to each motor either. They have a specified length and diameter that fits all 230's. Again, the only problem I can see is swapping a new valve into an old guide. Usually when you replace one part of something that rubs against something else, you should really replace both. But I suppose you could get away with it for a while. Anyway, as long as you lap the valves to the seat, they should seal up fine,,,, given the guides aren't worn out.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: fishguybri

I have a few questions today. one is that I keep being told that the valves and th rocker arm cap are unique to each motor and can't be changed. I don't understand how two motors produced identicly in the same year even can need this. that would mean that I just got lucky and all three of my motors where the same by coincidence. becuase I am sure the rocker arm cover on my bike right now is not the one that came off my valve head. one of the top mounts was broke, and I only switched the top. could I be missinformed, please someone inlighten me.

to g force, I hope you have decided on a rebuild. the quad is so worth it, and you have put the effort into it being nice. I guaruntee if you find out what is broke that I have one and will help you out somehow. even if its the crank, I have two straight ones. they both have minor thread problems on the flywheel from the clowns who tore them apart wrong. thread work is easy enough, if you need I can rethread it too. KEEP IT ALIVE.</end quote></div>

I have decided to rebuild. I was never not going to, but what I was considering doing was putting it aside for awhile and concentrating on aquiring another quad and then eventually coming back to the 230 and rebuilding it.
But alas I can't stand the fact that it's sitting there not working....so I have taken the engine out and down to my basement and set up shop and have already taken apart the top end and left side and have pictures to show some of the damage. I will be posting them probably tonight after work.

I can say one of the immediate problems is a little screw that's located inside the stator cover come loose and started knocking around and broke my timing chain and caused some other damage...again will be posting pics and explainations. I figure since I have the motor tore down might as well build it bigger and better[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] So going with the bigbore kit from KustomKraft, most likely stage 1 cam with the Performance Valve Spring Kit, and while I'm at it fix the clutch that had started slipping with beefier springs and carbon fiber plates.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.