Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Yes,,, anyone with that on must know what they're doing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Ok, go to photobucket n get an account (its free). Then make some folders/albums (whatever they call em). I have one called suzuki and another called winchester and another house, etc, etc. Coz once you get used to posting pics you'll be uploading all your pics online for easy reference.... Anyway, make sure you're in the suzuki album (or whatever name you give it) and upload your pics to the site in the size you want to post. I always go with 800x600 so it isnt too big for the forum. Once the uploading is done and you finish writing any tag or descriptions you want for the pics, it take you back to the thumbnail view of your album. Find the pic you want to post and check the box next to it. Then click "generate html" button at the bottom. It will take you to a different page displaying all the links you can use in myspace, forums, etc. Find the IMG one for forums and copy it. Then come back here and post it in a message and click preview to make sure everything is ok.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Just like anything, 90% of what you need to know you can learn in a short time... The other 10% takes a lifetime.</end quote></div>

Damn, thats good, I gonna steal it!!!</end quote></div>

Well, I started noticing that a long time ago in my life. I take something to about the 90% mark and then say screw it, lol. Too much work to learn the last wee little bit. I guess that's why so many people are Jacks of all trades n master of none.</end quote></div>

Yep they are cheap. But I think what I should do is get the 250R a-arms first, install one side after "grinding or hacksawing", the a-arm mounting point for the frame since our frame mounts are 1 1/2" and the 250R a-arms are 2.00" so that extra 1/2" has to go. Install and ensure that both the 250R a-arms and the stock a-arms "look" to be close in angle (so I'm not binding the balljoints like JustRandy warns against). Measure from the 250R a-arm shock mount to our frame shock mount and take that measurement and use it to find the closest size "stock" shock from any atv. Since I want to get 250R +2 a-arms it will probably be a longer shock then the stock shock you linked above from an 1986 250R which is around 13.00". the 1987 250R up used a 15.00" so who knows what I am going to end up with shock wise, could be one from a totally different atv cause I am going for whatever comes closest from the measuerement I mentioned earlier.

Of course this is on the back burner at this points since all the a-arms and shocks in the world don't move the atv, and the motor is sitting in my basement disassembled needing all kinds of new performance parts which as we all know means $$$$$$$$$....I have to work around the better half in order to obtain those parts. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Should I buy Cam Chain on ebay for approximately $20.00 or buy a new one? Bikebandit has new ones listed for $46.27 not including shipping. I guess what I am asking is this something you don't take a chance with and buy new or does it really matter? I would be looking around a $30.00 difference.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

I decided on new, better to err on the side of caution. That way you know it wasn't streched already or have a hairline crack, etc. I bought a "DID" cam chain, supposed to be stronger than stock, on one of the ebay stores, buy it now,30 including shipping.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds good to me, that is the route I will take then, thanks PoolGod!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

Yep they are cheap. But I think what I should do is get the 250R a-arms first, install one side after "grinding or hacksawing", the a-arm mounting point for the frame since our frame mounts are 1 1/2" and the 250R a-arms are 2.00" so that extra 1/2" has to go. Install and ensure that both the 250R a-arms and the stock a-arms "look" to be close in angle (so I'm not binding the balljoints like JustRandy warns against). Measure from the 250R a-arm shock mount to our frame shock mount and take that measurement and use it to find the closest size "stock" shock from any atv. Since I want to get 250R +2 a-arms it will probably be a longer shock then the stock shock you linked above from an 1986 250R which is around 13.00". the 1987 250R up used a 15.00" so who knows what I am going to end up with shock wise, could be one from a totally different atv cause I am going for whatever comes closest from the measuerement I mentioned earlier.

Of course this is on the back burner at this points since all the a-arms and shocks in the world don't move the atv, and the motor is sitting in my basement disassembled needing all kinds of new performance parts which as we all know means $$$$$$$$$....I have to work around the better half in order to obtain those parts. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

You can roughly figure out how long your shock will need to be by plotting the bolt-points on cad or paper and extending the "a-arm side" of the triangle the extra distance of the new arm. Then just measure/calculate the shock distance.

What I would do is jack up the front end and remove the shock from a side then let the a-arm fall down as far as I feel comfortable with the balljoints. Then support it there so it doesnt move. Then measure the dist from the top shock mount hole to the bottom one, then the top hole to the a-arm bolt, then the a-arm bolt to the bottom shock mount hole and plot all those on paper or cad. Then just stretch the a-arm out on the paper or cad and measure the new shock length.

I know how you feel... My stove has so many backburners I need to build a new kitchen to hold it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

There is this strange white powdery stuff falling from the sky. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Wasn't sure what it was so I googled it and I'm pretty sure its this stuff they call "snow". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] It seems pretty slippery so I thought I'd seize the opportunity to do some donuts in my truck and test out my 4-wheeldrive. What a ball! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Too bad this freak of nature doesn't happen more often... LOL. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

No ****? snow in Ga? What fun!!!! My good riding buddy just informed me of the trip I missed this weekend! The sport quads had to be towed out by a 6 wheel drive argo... The only one that didn't need towing is some cat they just met rollin a 800 can am outlander?? The one that rides like a sport but has 4 wheel drive when u need it..... Cool, but it weighs like 600lbs!!!!

Old 01-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ah, only 1/2 inch or so, but enough to slide around in. It'll be gone by morning.

THose outlanders are quite the work of engineering. I used to watch the late night tv ads back in 2005. Like an hour tv show of that quad against all the rest in all sorts of tests. But for the price, I'd rather have my 250 4wd and my 230s (or a R450). The outlander is good at lots of things, but great at only a couple. I think they still have the videos on their website if ya wanna watch them. They did in 2005 I know.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

G force I thought this would be useful http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...?hash=item180192769308

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.