Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Car stereos??? What this now, a new topic? I believe I can contribute in that arena as well. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

I thought you said you read these 15 billion pages????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
I got the feeling the name BigMc has nothing to do with the golden arches..........

AMP makers in Auburn, CA (not far from where I live) used to pump our threads founding father up! Linear... probably spelled wrong, cocktails and pumpkin carvin don't mix... Take it easy, and take the easy ones twice!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I read the pages twice n I always thought BigMc was a large Irish guy, lol, considering his profile said McDaniel. Never made the audio link.... To be honest, I never even made the BigMac link either, lol. In my defense, I've never been accused of being overly observant. Bring me up to speed on what all the talk is about...

Old 10-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

So keeping in mind I'm really not a gear head, I think my carb is running pretty lean since I've never changed the jets (180 main, 15 pilot) mikuni 28mm flatslide carb. I've checked my spark plug after taking it down to the dried out sand river bed and just going to town on the wheeler it's pretty white and I'm finding that at almost full throttle it gets jerky or if I have it idling and then twist it real quick it cuts out. Also since JustRandy mentioned in an earlier post about high temps on the head pipe when running lean, I've noticed it gets reeaallly hot.

I've never change out jets how does one do that? In other words I would think I need a larger main jet to get more gas to the plentiful air. I'm not sure where the main or pilot jet are located and where do I get jets would the local dealer carry jets for the carb I wonder. They kinda suck (young kids behind the counter who just want you to get you thru line and know nothing except 450R's are cool, whatever) everything I have done to the wheeler is without a manual or knowledge and online with fingers crossed.

Any help in this department would be greatly appreciated. Btw I'm still thinking of getting 400EX extended A-Arms, spindles, tie rods, hubs and shocks and hoping I can make it all work. My shocks are pretty bad and if I can avoid using my durablue front wheel spacers I think I would be better off for it, plus a better/cheaper shock selection.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

I read the pages twice n I always thought BigMc was a large Irish guy, lol, considering his profile said McDaniel. Never made the audio link.... To be honest, I never even made the BigMac link either, lol. In my defense, I've never been accused of being overly observant. Bring me up to speed on what all the talk is about...</end quote></div>

Man, Mc= McDaniel???Duh, makes perfect sense, Jeez I guess I am not the brighest lamp in the strand![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

I was thinkin Mc like Beastie boys, or something like that! I should not think, always gets me in trouble.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

So keeping in mind I'm really not a gear head, I think my carb is running pretty lean since I've never changed the jets (180 main, 15 pilot) mikuni 28mm flatslide carb. I've checked my spark plug after taking it down to the dried out sand river bed and just going to town on the wheeler it's pretty white and I'm finding that at almost full throttle it gets jerky or if I have it idling and then twist it real quick it cuts out. Also since JustRandy mentioned in an earlier post about high temps on the head pipe when running lean, I've noticed it gets reeaallly hot.

I've never change out jets how does one do that? In other words I would think I need a larger main jet to get more gas to the plentiful air. I'm not sure where the main or pilot jet are located and where do I get jets would the local dealer carry jets for the carb I wonder. They kinda suck (young kids behind the counter who just want you to get you thru line and know nothing except 450R's are cool, whatever) everything I have done to the wheeler is without a manual or knowledge and online with fingers crossed.

Any help in this department would be greatly appreciated. Btw I'm still thinking of getting 400EX extended A-Arms, spindles, tie rods, hubs and shocks and hoping I can make it all work. My shocks are pretty bad and if I can avoid using my durablue front wheel spacers I think I would be better off for it, plus a better/cheaper shock selection.</end quote></div>

About as technical as I can get......
http://www.mikuni.com/fs-manuals.html

Old 10-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the link it helped I decided to take apart my old carb and get an idea of what is where and what the pieces looked like so I'm pretty confident now that I can mess with the new one without screwing it up. I called the local dealer and talked with the parts department and they do carry jets for the mikuni but need to see the style of jet so going to take the carb off (what a pain) and take it with the jets so we can determine the exact style of jet needed.

So messing with the jets from what I can see is a pain in the butt cause got to rip the atv apart to get to the carb disconnect stuff and then take apart the carb and put it back together carb/atv and hope you picked the right jet if not rinse and repeat ugghhh.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

Thanks for the link it helped I decided to take apart my old carb and get an idea of what is where and what the pieces looked like so I'm pretty confident now that I can mess with the new one without screwing it up. I called the local dealer and talked with the parts department and they do carry jets for the mikuni but need to see the style of jet so going to take the carb off (what a pain) and take it with the jets so we can determine the exact style of jet needed.

So messing with the jets from what I can see is a pain in the butt cause got to rip the atv apart to get to the carb disconnect stuff and then take apart the carb and put it back together carb/atv and hope you picked the right jet if not rinse and repeat ugghhh.</end quote></div>

Yeah does look like a pain, but I can't wait to get to that point!
I am with you about the punks at the local dealers, about all I will buy are lubricants and stuff..
Doesn't bikebandit sell a jet kit for that carb?

Old 10-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

gforce,,, at least you're at 7000 ft. So, it shouldnt be too hard to find the right jet. Mine wouldn't even run till I took it off n washed n rinsed a dozen times. And I'm still screwing around with it.... Trying to find needles and pilot jets. I went to all the part stores in town, arctic cat, honda, suzuki, etc and nobody carries needles or the really small pilots I need. Nobody can even order the needle I want. So, I was out there last night grinding away at my slide hoping that will help. I'm about to just lean everything out and get the dial-a-jet.

The heart of the problem is the carb is just too big for the amount of vacuum the little 230 can produce. Imagine if the carb was the size of a garage door... You could have a jet the size of a sewer drain and the 230 still wouldn't have enough vacuum to suck out any gas at all! Then, at the other extreme, if the carb was the size of your pinky, the smallest of jets would suck the bowl dry in no time if you could somehow keep the engine running. The 28mm is just too big to work efficiently with the small 230. Look at the stock slide next to the 28 and the stock looks like something you'd get from a bubble gum machine.

I wouldn't expect any expert guidance from the local shops either. Yesterday they kept asking me what bike its off of, like that's going to help. Just give me the jet I want! My buddy that has the 250 wrote the numbers down off the frame and went to the suzuki shop to get brakes. They told him he had a 1970 model because it had an "L" in the number! LOL.

As far as I can tell, bikebandit doesn't sell anything for that carb. The local shops will have all the main jets you could want. Its the needles and pilots that are the problem.

Oh, and I was scoping out all the front ends at the shops yesterday. The suzuki 450 is sweet. That would be the arms n shocks I would get if I was gonna get anything. Actually, the Roll Designs gull wing front end kit is really slick. $3000 for the arms and shocks. http://www.rolldesign.com/phot.../catid,8/limitstart,2/

Old 10-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Malhombre runs 32mm mikuni
BigMc runs 28mm, stock is 26mm?
270 runs a 28mm, must be a way to make em work...

Old 10-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Malhombre runs 32mm mikuni

BigMc runs 28mm, stock is 26mm?

270 runs a 28mm, must be a way to make em work...</end quote></div>

But don't the above listed people also have some kind of engine mods, big bore kits, larger pistons, webcams, performance exhaust etc or some combo of the afore mentioned? Right now the only engine mod if you will that mine has is the performance exhaust with the Mikuni 28mm TM Smoothbore Flatslide Carb. I will have a webcam and bigbore kit which will take full advantage of the current carb but until then making it work is a bit challenging.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.