Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

hey J.R., what size is the front sprocket nut? i know its a big ol bastard, and i aint got that size. i ordered up a 13t sprocket along with the s-arm bearing kit in the link you gave me. ground shipping through Rocky Mountain is only 7 bucks, so i upped it to 2nd day for 3 more. i need this done by next weekend. the ol lady is have some foo foo chick party next sunday afternoon and i guess (more like thankfully) i'm not invited. with work schedule and a few other appointments, i have 2 evenings to work on getting her ready for the trails.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider

1-3/16 socket fits it.

Man, all this talk about the 230 and the good weather and everthing.... I'm gonna have to stop playing in the dirt and start working on mine gettin it finished. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy
Man, all this talk about the 230 and the good weather and everthing.... I'm gonna have to stop playing in the dirt and start working on mine gettin it finished. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

tell me about it! all my buddies are out riding and i'm wrenching. now all i need is to order a chain tensioner, and put everything together.

i have an el cheap-o digital camcorder. so you might even see me wreck myself first hand if i remember to take it with me when i ride.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

The pick up coils wires are Bl/Y - G/W

The Power Source is Br - P

The Lighting is O - B

Test everything from under the tank, not tearing the cover off each time. All the wires come apart under the tank. I think some coil somewhere is heating up and losing connection or shorting.

The Ignition coil is:

Primary is "+" - "-" 0-2 ohms

Secondary is "Plug Cap" - "+" 10-25,000 ohms

No known way to test the CDI.

Have you changed the spark plug? Never know.</end quote></div>

There were only two connections under the tank. here are pics of what I tested and the readings.

Name:  DSC01288.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  61.8 KB
Name:  DSC01289.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  78.5 KB
Name:  DSC01290.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  80.9 KB

Old 04-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Well,,,, it doesn't get any clearer than that! [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

I'd just love to see the reading when it won't spark. I remember my magneto coil checking out just fine like yours, but I could never start the damn thing reliably. Sometimes it would start after a few kicks and sometimes I would kick myself into a coma. I was about ready to blow the thing up! Somewhere in this thread I was bitching that I wouldn't take another 230 for free... Unless it came with a goki starter! I tried 2 carbs and screwed around with each for months and nothing ever changed,,, it was still hard to start. And it seemed to get worse as the temps went up.... Meaning, I could be stuck in the middle of the trail for a LONG time in the hot summer trying to kick that thing. If I just sit down n burn one n wait a bit, it seemed to start a little easier. Plus I was rested a little more too.

Well, one day I was shopping at either rockymountain or bikebandit for a lighting coil. I seen some kind of coil made by Moose that said something about the lighting coil, but it didn't say whether it came with it. So I just ordered it anyway and figured if it came with the lighting coil, fine, if not then I just have a new power coil and still have to get another lighting. Ever since i put that new power coil in there, it starts 2nd kick. All the time. Warm, cold, whatever. I don't know what the difference was because both the coils check out about the same and both were in spec. But one is junk and the other is gold. Ever since then I've always been a little suspicious of a coil that sits in oil for 20 yrs.

Those coils are made of what they call "enameled wire". The enamel keeps the wire from shorting when you wrap it into a coil. If the enamel breaks or cracks or peels, then whole coil doesn't work like it should. Maybe some cracks open up when hot. I dont know.....

Obviously, if one minute the thing runs fine and the next it has no spark, there is a bad piece of copper in there somewhere. One thing I did just to elimintate anything "funny" going on, I filed and sanded any and all connections all over the quad. All the grounds, any wires that had plugs to connect them,,,, everything. That way I know all my connections are metal to metal.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Here is the coil I got. http://www.bikebandit.com/product/A5223930

"Replacement stators at a fraction of OEM cost. Lighting capabilities available for most current models. Lighting coil fits under stock flywheel with no modifications. Include wiring instructions. One-year warranty. Universal AC regulator sold separately."

From that description you'd have no idea what you're buying. And it looks NOTHNG like the pic! What I got was a power coil in a bag with a piece of paper telling how to hook it up and what to do if no spark. Glad I got it though.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright, well I guess I will order one of those up tonight and hope that takes care of the problem.

I am ready to get out and ride, the weather is absolutely beautiful out here and its been eating me up not being able to get out lol.

I will report back after I get the new part.

Thanks again.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Its a $60 gamble. I hope it works in your favor. The only other option is to buy a new ignotion coil on ebay for a few bucks and find a new CDI. I'm not betting on the CDI being bad though. OR the ignition coil... I've never seen either one go out.

Yeah, the weather is great.... and I have this monsterous hole in my yard now that would be awsome to be jumping in and out of. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

well i finally had succes today, but it did almost take me all day to do. well i started around lunch time and didnt have her running until about 7. me and my dad got the valves done, then i finished up everything in the engine, put the engine in, then all the other junk i had off, then i threw on the gas tank and seat, filled her up with oil and then....the kicker went down halfway and wouldnt budge, to i tried a few more times and new something wasnt right. so i drained the oil, pulled the mag cover and the valve cover and to my dismay i had set the timing a perfect 180* off a stupid mistake. so i reset the timing, put the covers back on, filled her up with oil again. and then i was kicking and kicking and kicking, i had fuel but no spark, well stuoid me never put the plug wire one so i fixed that, started kicking again. i heard a little pop and my face lit up with a huge smile, the next kick i gave her some gas and she roars to life from her long slumber, then i procede to romp on her up and down my street. if the weather is decent tomorrow ill throw the plastics on load her up and hit the trails!

Old 04-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

thats awesome. i wish i could ride right now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.