Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

double post[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quadsport230

well i finally had succes today, but it did almost take me all day to do. well i started around lunch time and didnt have her running until about 7. me and my dad got the valves done, then i finished up everything in the engine, put the engine in, then all the other junk i had off, then i threw on the gas tank and seat, filled her up with oil and then....the kicker went down halfway and wouldnt budge, to i tried a few more times and new something wasnt right. so i drained the oil, pulled the mag cover and the valve cover and to my dismay i had set the timing a perfect 180* off a stupid mistake. so i reset the timing, put the covers back on, filled her up with oil again. and then i was kicking and kicking and kicking, i had fuel but no spark, well stuoid me never put the plug wire one so i fixed that, started kicking again. i heard a little pop and my face lit up with a huge smile, the next kick i gave her some gas and she roars to life from her long slumber, then i procede to romp on her up and down my street. if the weather is decent tomorrow ill throw the plastics on load her up and hit the trails!</end quote></div>

Sounds like fun. How does it run?

Old 04-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

had her on the trails today and she runs great, besides needing serious clutch adjustment everything was flawless, should it take 30 kicks to start cold? lol

and there is a small mx track off the trails and i was keeping up with a crf1250f and a ttr230, i was proud of myself for that

Old 04-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quadsport230

had her on the trails today and she runs great, besides needing serious clutch adjustment everything was flawless, should it take 30 kicks to start cold? lol

and there is a small mx track off the trails and i was keeping up with a crf1250f and a ttr230, i was proud of myself for that</end quote></div>

Yeah, that sounds like you know how to ride,,, especially considering the 230 needs to be wider! [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] Imagine what you could do if it was set up like a R450! (Like all quads should be in the first place. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] )

Should only take a couple kicks cold. Press the choke down and kick. It should fire.

I took my clutch cable off and sprayed penetrating oil down it and worked it for 1/2 hr. Then followed than up with an oil can of 10w-whatever and worked as much oil into it as I could. Then clamped it in a vise and let the oil drain over night. Then put more oil in the next day and hooked it back up. I left plenty of slack so I know the clutch will engage.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

EDIT for my other post it was a crf150f i was keeping up with

thanks for the compliment randy, i could probably do alot better if i didnt have heavy *** 22 inch mudders on the back lol. i would like to try out 20s but it is REALLY rocky in parts and id hate to blow like $120 on tires for them to be too small.

anyway i havent thought about it yeat, but what would make her hard to start, she even 3 or 4 kicks when warm

and the cable isnt part of the clutch problem its brand new, i was lucky i had it as a spare cause the old one siezed.

also i had made myself a case saver out of an old plsatic cutting board, the problem is that being plastic it doesnt put enough pressure to seal the case, i was thinking of of putting studs in, then a nut to hold done the case, then the saver and another nut.

now that pring break is over i'll have to tinker with it after school

Old 04-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Unless you're doing stuff like rock-crawling, 20's will work just fine in rocky trails. I have about the width of my fist from the ground to the bottom of the sprocket guard on the axle and I get over the rocks just fine. I smack a lot of rocks too, but the ones I hit I would still hit even if I was 1 more inch off the ground. 1 inch isn't going to make that big of difference to me clearing rocks, but 1 inch does make a difference in terms of weight and center of gravity and being able to slide and take turns the way I like. I had the same fears you did, but after getting the 20's on there, I almost wish I would have gone with 18's.

I'd take the plastic case saver and use it as a template to make a steel one. The chain comes off one time and the plastic will be destroyed. I just used a bench grinder and a cup of water to cool it everytime it would get too hot to hold.

Sounds like the pilot is too lean. 30 kicks when cold and 3-4 kicks when warm = lean pilot. Other things could be not enough intake valve lash, but you've already rebuilt the engine, so I assume you have the right lash. And I assume you read my post to bruincat about my trouble with the magneto power coil? That made mine hard to start for a LONG time!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

well i guess ill be buying some new tires soon lol.

i guess ill start with the easy stuff and turn the pilot screw out a half turn or so

Old 04-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

http://forums.atvconnection.co...atid/9/threadid/541296

Check out thread for my opinion about tires.

I got new offset rims for the back too (makes is a few inches wider back there). The .160 ones. Lots of guys run the .190's, but I don't think a little quad like this needs that much and its just extra weight. I sometimes wonder if I should have gotten the even thinner ones. You can really feel a pound or two extra in the back. Throttle response is better the lighter it is back there. Especially on these small bore quads. If it was a 450, you could run concrete blocks and probably not know the difference, but 230cc is a different story. I'm even stressing out about buying a drive chain. I started shopping back in december for a chain and STILL haven't made up my mind, lol. I'm looking for the lightest made! Need every advantage I can get on this little quad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider

i was actually gonna get those kendas XCs they looked like a good tire at a good price. im keeping the stock aluminum rims though. and i would get taller fronts but the ones i have now are a year old and show no wear

Old 04-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The XC's are not a bad tire.... My only complaint is they are a bit heavier than I would like. Sometimes I think about shaving some rubber off, but not sure if its worth my time. Maybe at least cut the side lugs off.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.