Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Man Gforce, that sux!!

I think the main thing I have learned with the 230 is, don't screw with it!! Bore it a couple times, mess with the suspension, mess with the looks, add a mild cam... a different carb.... But if you build it to the extreme, take zero short cuts!!

Our one kick wonders are only such at max of .80 over without a ton of $$$$$$$$$!!!

But then again, speed costs money how fast you wanna go?

Old 05-05-2008, 11:48 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But then again, speed costs money how fast you wanna go?

Well, Im waiting on a boat load of stuff for the bottom of my motor. All new bearings and oil seals. Also a few crush washers and shims. (That is, if there not back ordered)
Haddnt heard from the go faster shop yet. Dont know when the cylindr will be ready. Im taken a week off in June and tend to use a few days to put this thing together. Still gotta order new seals and get this crank off to vinces. But I still have time.
gforce, man, what ya doen taking a hammer to that motor? Dont you know any better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Smoother??? Hmmm.... Not what I would have guessed.

Are you going to take it apart n see what broke and maybe try to figure out how?</end quote></div>

Tell ya what, for the 4-8 hours on mine (for the 2nd or 3rd time) it WAS smother, granted, balanced crank, longer rod etc..........Hotter, but way smooth...... Still kicking my self for taking that jump!!! Oh well, blaze of glory and all.......... I must have looked good flying over the hill, and the handlebars, then down the hill without my quad for another 50-75 yards!!![img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img] As destroyed as it is I have atleast one semi complete bottom an can put 2-3 tops (no more than .60 over!) oh, and of course my beloved shocks.......... like the Phoenix and south, she shall rise again!!

In the mean time, gonna be rippin **** up on my 400ex!!!

To add insult to injury, my wifes 1993 230e with only stage 1 cam, ran almost 100 miles with the boys 2 weekends ago, her only only complaint, shocks!!!!

Old 05-06-2008, 12:00 AM
BigMc

well ther ya go man. an outlet for those slightly used shocks.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:04 AM
BigMc

Does anyone know of any good atv salvage yards in the Dalles area? Ill be out there next week. Could be a good time to do a little shopen for old quads.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BigMc

well ther ya go man. an outlet for those slightly used shocks.</end quote></div>

Not "slightly" barely is more like it!!! I decided not long after the crash, that they are hers.... She appreciates what she "has" more than I covet what I "might" have!!! She asked for a lil more pep, the cam did that, she wants shocks, hers no questions... BUT, now, she says she wants the "clutch" (auto) to hook up better......... Yep, gonna take it to the shop for that![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I am I getting smarter or what?

Old 05-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

ok now im scared that im gonna punch out a hole in my engine. two weeks after the rebuild and she is still running good, ive been riding my nieghborhood woods after school with no problems, but i cant wait for the weekend to have her back on some real trails

Old 05-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quadsport230

ok now im scared that im gonna punch out a hole in my engine. two weeks after the rebuild and she is still running good, ive been riding my nieghborhood woods after school with no problems, but i cant wait for the weekend to have her back on some real trails</end quote></div>

Refresh "our" memory, what have you done to her?

Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider

For me, its a 4-stroke quad that weighs 315 lbs fully loaded. (And I plan to go even lighter). I rode the lakota for the first time today.... It weighs 459 dry! Talk about night n day difference! I could put the ole lady on back with me on the 230 and still not have the extra weight the lakota has. There is just something about being light that makes riding more enjoyable.... Sport riding anyway. Mudding, I like to be heavy for some reason. Easier to plow over things I guess. But for sport/fun stuff, I like to be able to throw the quad around a little. And the 230 engine is about the lightest I know of. The frame is nothing special though.

So, how to get the engine reliable???? The weakest link is the rod. Vince said it a long time ago.... The guy at my local suzuki shop said it before I ever heard of Vince. And now we have two prime examples of it.

Priority #1: Get a stronger rod! Then you can hang whatever piston on it you want. It costs $130 for a new rod. Cheap!
Consideration #1: The 230 has a stroke of 67mm. In the atv world, that is big! Not an engine to be revving out like a 57mm stroke of a Honda 250x. I'd shy away from long duration cams that take power from the bottom and add power at the top. It only adds to the risk of breaking the rod,,,, having to rev out to develop good power.... Plus, there is only one cam and 2 valves. Again, not an engine design to favor revving to the moon.

PG, your 230 was running great. And you still had the stock rod too. But YOU decided to jump it off a cliff, lol. It wasn't the 230's fault. If you hadn't have jumped, you'd be on here saying "230's rule!" instead of wanting to give up.

Everybody else, these quads were the first of the first. 85 was the first year for a sport quad.... Do you expect them to have all the bugs worked out in the first couple years???? Steering stems break. Swingarms have too small of bearings. Shocks suck. Etc. Everything has to be reengineered to do what we expect from it. And I think if you're not willing to do that, you're fooling with a rattler and it CAN bite you!

I'll have about $2500-$3000 in it by the time I'm done. Less than the cost of a new quad and light years better. I could throw a set of $1500 shocks on it and still be less than the R450 and have a ride that is about as good (maybe better because the 230 weighs a good bag of concrete less). At some point everybody decided to take a gamble.... and some lost. I think we lose perspective of that when we lose. Some things should just stay in Vegas... like gambling. I don't wanna gamble with my setup. Too much to lose. And choosing whether to replace the rod,,, to me,,, is gambling.

I know too much to give up now. The time to give up was when I didn't know a thing about the 230. Now I'm aware of all the issues. I think 230 owners (the proud ones anyway) should have another quad to ride and slowly rebuild the 230 over a period of time as funds and scheduling allow. Maybe a 2nd 230 to ride, lol. Maybe 2 or 3 of em.... That way there are plenty of spare parts. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quadsport230

ok now im scared that im gonna punch out a hole in my engine. two weeks after the rebuild and she is still running good, ive been riding my nieghborhood woods after school with no problems, but i cant wait for the weekend to have her back on some real trails</end quote></div>

all i have is a high compression piston on stock bore

Refresh "our" memory, what have you done to her?</end quote></div>

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.