Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

WOW! This thing has some POWA! I put it together Saturday and realized my intake valve wasn't within specs so re-adjusted it and wham ran beautiful. The problem was I didn't tighten down the nut on the stem and the stem itself for the rocker were lost inside the engine. Soooo I pulled off the cylinder head and magneto cover and got my magnetic pen out and starting fishing and found them both. Put it all back together extremely tight and yesterday took it out to the field and scared the crap out of myself. It has oodles of power and I had a couple of friends stop by asking have I clocked it yet cause I am flying.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

WOW! This thing has some POWA! I put it together Saturday and realized my intake valve wasn't within specs so re-adjusted it and wham ran beautiful. The problem was I didn't tighten down the nut on the stem and the stem itself for the rocker were lost inside the engine. Soooo I pulled off the cylinder head and magneto cover and got my magnetic pen out and starting fishing and found them both. Put it all back together extremely tight and yesterday took it out to the field and scared the crap out of myself. It has oodles of power and I had a couple of friends stop by asking have I clocked it yet cause I am flying.</end quote></div>

I did that once on the bayou. I was lucky and the nut was right next to the valve spring. I just had to take the valve adjustment access cover off (whatever you call it). Hmm... seems like I've told this story before. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Awsome you got it running so good! [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] Do you notice any more vibration than before? I was wondering how the heavier piston is working.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lasvegascar2

This can't be good [img][/img]

What's wrong with this picture and how much is this going to cost me?

How does something like this even happen?

... and what's my next step?
</end quote></div>

Ebay! You need a new engine!

Looks like you found the limits of the rod strength. This is why I'm getting a new, longer rod. Looks like you didn't have much oil in there either. Maybe the rod bearing seized and caused the rod to break off. Or else the rod was loose like most of them are in 230's and you just revved it out too high.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: AsaSpades

I have a topic for my question but i guess its bettr in this thread. Well I took apart my motor after its been sitting since last year when I heard a weird noise coming from it. Evrything looks finee except the camshaft chain guide its ripped up pretty good, theres no big mess but im gonna have to replace the guide. What would cause the chain to rip up the guide? could it be that the tensioner was adjusted too much? or too litte?</end quote></div>

Somebody didn't reset the tensioner when they reinstalled it. The chain was way too tense. Your chain stretched, your guide wore, and the tensioner may even be cracked. It happens sometimes.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Cool, but at this point in my "career", I am gonna stick to suspension mods, and make 'em pretty!![img][/img] Motor work cost my dumbass to much $, blood, sweat and tears! I'll pay the pros from now on......</end quote></div>

Your engine is still good??? You just need new plastics n ****, right?

Old 05-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: AsaSpades

I have a topic for my question but i guess its bettr in this thread. Well I took apart my motor after its been sitting since last year when I heard a weird noise coming from it. Evrything looks finee except the camshaft chain guide its ripped up pretty good, theres no big mess but im gonna have to replace the guide. What would cause the chain to rip up the guide? could it be that the tensioner was adjusted too much? or too litte?</end quote></div>

Somebody didn't reset the tensioner when they reinstalled it. The chain was way too tense. Your chain stretched, your guide wore, and the tensioner may even be cracked. It happens sometimes.</end quote></div>

Thanks, but how tight should the tensioner be? And the tensioner is fine, i think, but ill make sure

Old 05-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The tensioner has a spring inside that applies the right pressure. All you have to do is release the lockbolt and the spring shoves the tensioner into the chain. Then tighten the bolt and you're done. You have to have the piston at TDC in order to set the tension. What somebody probably did was let the tensioner out all the way and then tighten the lockbolt. Then they reinstalled it with too much pressure locked in.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Cool, but at this point in my "career", I am gonna stick to suspension mods, and make 'em pretty!![IMG][/IMG] Motor work cost my dumbass to much $, blood, sweat and tears! I'll pay the pros from now on......</end quote></div>

Your engine is still good??? You just need new plastics n ****, right?</end quote></div>

Probably not much is good on it! Burned a good 10 min almost upside down, front tires stuck in sand, running (should have installed a kill switch!)before anyone could get there with an fire extingisher.. Tires helped fuel the fire, warped the rims, torched the tank. I Wonder why it didn't explode??

Old 05-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

Well I decided to take it out in the field for some quick fun and this is the result. Looks like the weak ol' rod that JR has been refering to did it's magic.

Name:  Busted1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  Busted2.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  75.4 KB

Name:  Busted3.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  77.1 KB

Old 05-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Gforce.... Oh ****! Sorry man... I was hoping you'd get a new rod with me... Vince warned me about this about a year ago. These rods are just too small to hang these large pistons on them and especially so when they aren't balanced. Then a stage 2 cam that loves rpm just fuels the urge to blow it up.

I'm surprised this hasn't been happening more and sooner. Every 230 rod I've seen is junk. Loose on both ends!

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.