Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

I think MMZUKI can. If I remember right.

You'll have to cut the bearings down to fit the frame.

Name:  DCP_2881.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  118.3 KB

Name:  DCP_2882.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  144.6 KB

Then you'll have to get longer tie rods and do something about the brake lines.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

Well, the guy on ebay said 150 plus shipping for all 4, good deal?

Old 02-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Better than spending a week cutting, grinding, welding and lots of head scratching. On the flip side, you can find sets of 230 a-arms for $30 or so. And then again, aftermarket arms start at $500, but have adjustable caster and camber.

Did you ask the guy if he had more 250 parts? Maybe you can get a package deal with some other stuff.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

He has other stuff too but he want $100 bucks for tie rods. I asked him how much more to throw them in with the a-arms though. So will I just have to cut down those rubber bushings, or are those bearings in there? I just PMed MMZUKI to see what he knows.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

Welcome to the club! [img][/img]

I think you should get the 5L1 needle for the TM28 carb. If you find it runs best with the clip at the top of the needle, then you should also get a smaller needle jet. I'm pretty sure once you have the right needle (5L1), the jetting is just a matter of drilling incrementally until it takes all the throttle without a miss.

Remember, before doing any carb work to always be sure your valve lash is set. .001-.003 for the intake and .003-.005 exhuast. If the quad was in bad shape when you got it, it probably needs a new intake valve. Over the couse of the next year, you'll need to keep a close eye on the lash since an already worn valve will wear fast and close the gap quickly.

How are your swingarm bearings? These quads are NOTORIOUS for throwing the chain and cracking the magneto cover. The cover costs $160-$200.</end quote></div>

yeah I set the valve lash before I got it running , I can tell someones been in the engine as every bolts been removed before so I'm sure its on its #? rebuild

yeah my cover looks to have been welded and it now has a aluminum case saver on it

I'm going through/replacing all the chassis/suspension bearings and bushings - the swing arm bearings they had in there were just a nylon sleeve , have you ever seen them like that before?

Old 02-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: nummbr7
yeah I set the valve lash before I got it running , I can tell someones been in the engine as every bolts been removed before so I'm sure its on its #? rebuild

yeah my cover looks to have been welded and it now has a aluminum case saver on it

I'm going through/replacing all the chassis/suspension bearings and bushings - the swing arm bearings they had in there were just a nylon sleeve , have you ever seen them like that before?</end quote></div>

Yep, mine had those nylon sleeves and was loose as a goose. I was thinking somebody just used some backwoods engineering on mine, but now knowing yours were that way too, I'm thinking they must have been a replacement part at one time.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvman29

He has other stuff too but he want $100 bucks for tie rods. I asked him how much more to throw them in with the a-arms though. So will I just have to cut down those rubber bushings, or are those bearings in there? I just PMed MMZUKI to see what he knows.</end quote></div>

I believe I'd pass on the $100 tie rods! I can cut n weld those longer in a few minutes. I'm sure some guy at the university would weld them up for you for free. The weld has to be strong though. Mine broke a couple times before I finally blobbed enough metal on there. A patch might be a better idea.

There should be hardened bearings in there. Not just rubber. You might have to cut down #15 http://www.alpha-sports.com/satv/1990/LT250S/39.htm and not just the arm. Either that or widen the frame mounts.

One thing to keep in mind is how you will affect caster by trimming one side or the other of the arms.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: nummbr7

I'm new to this forum so , hello everyone

I bought a 86 lt230s at the end of last summer in pretty rough shape and have started to get it ready to break again on the gnarly trails/cliffs around me here in VT

When I first got it , it would idle but not take any throttle - I found it had a k&n filter and full cobra exhaust and they guy had installed a new stock carb kit in the carb so the jetting was out to lunch

I switched to a new 28mm flatslide and uni-filter - I got it running ok by drilling the pilot jet a little larger and playing with the needle - if anyone knows a rough place to start jet wise for my setup that be cool , I'm not too worried right now as I have a lot of Sunday nights left (the only time I get to work on it) replacing all the bad bearings and bushings

I have no clue whats been done to the engine I plan on tearing it down next winter - it has good compression now and doesn't seem to smoke

It seems to be modified a bit though - I already fpound out the hard way the the rear carrier had been switched from a 86 to a 87+ after getting a new caliper and bracket ,but I made my own bracket and was good to go

Sorry to ramble a bit , I'll post some pics up when it starts to look like a quad again

Brady</end quote></div>

Welcome! glad to have another member on board. I have been on this thread since the first page and i truly believe this is the closest thing to the 230 bible as anybody will find. I am sure your answer is in this thread i just can't remember where, do you know what elevation you are at? I am sure Randy will be able to guide as he is one of the better carb guys for the 230 after all of his experiments and experience.

Try to read through all the pages of this thread to get to know all the players and what they have done to there machines.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: UGLY88

Welcome! glad to have another member on board. I have been on this thread since the first page and i truly believe this is the closest thing to the 230 bible as anybody will find. I am sure your answer is in this thread i just can't remember where, do you know what elevation you are at? I am sure Randy will be able to guide as he is one of the better carb guys for the 230 after all of his experiments and experience.

Try to read through all the pages of this thread to get to know all the players and what they have done to there machines.</end quote></div>

I'm around 350ft

thanks for the welcome - I scanned through most of the 250+ pages in the thread before I posted, its already helped a lot in my rebuild - I have a ltf230 quadrunner also, that we've used to tow dead cars into the shop for 9 years and its still holding strong - We got it for free after it fell off a trailer on the interstate and did several cartwheels - we straightened it out and its been a champ ever since - I hope my lt230s can be half as reliable

Old 02-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Wow! Fell off a trailer and runs for 9 yrs... Can't beat that! So, did the guys just drive off and not care, or did they give it to you or what?

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.