Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvman29

Well don't these wheelers have a tendency to snap chains? I know the engine couldn't care less, I'm just suggesting that it might be an unwanted addition of stress on the chain for the minimal benefit it would provide.</end quote></div>

No, the 230 doesn't have nearly the power to snap a chain. If superbikes don't snap them with 150hp, how will a 230 do it with 20-25hp?

My bud with the 250S has been running a 11/39 for about a year with no trouble. I've put a few good runs on my 11/37 with no ill effects. And I do a LOT of clutch dumps! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Plus I have that Primary Drive chain with the "windows" cutout to save weight. Its the smallest, lightest chain I could find without having to pay thru the nose.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvman29

Hey guys, if anyone is interested, there's a brand new swing-arm on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ameZWDVW#ht_2268wt_910</end quote></div>

$225!!! That seems like a lot to me.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

Dang, you guys have been busy!
I have never been able to bust a chain, unless it was worn out already, that is.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MalHombre

i'm all for saving weight but shaving a couple ounces vs running a higher risk of chain failure isn't worth it to me. there's a decent selection of sprockets to get just about any final drive ratio you might want. i think you're better off trying to dial in the right ratio for your motor/riding style. i'm running a 3:1 and i still don't bother w 1st gear. now, if i went with a 37t r sprocket, that would bump it up to 2.84:1 and prolly make 1st gear a little more useable and i might save an oz. or 2 by just using the 37t. the area you really want to lose weight is on the unsprung mass. re-do your rear caliper support and you can save a oz. or 2 there. rims are a weight issue too but i'm still gonna run .190's for peace of mind.</end quote></div>

The chain will wear faster since more torque is carried thru the chain to the backend. Also, it puts more stress on the swingarm bearings and tries to pull the axle to the left side more-so than the bigger gears. But my swingarm is so beefy and chains are cheap, so I'm willing to replace a chain a little more often and have an extra bit of acceleration. Someone else might opt for durability and sacrifice a bit of acceleration. Its all in preference. I was just curious if the difference in HP could be quantified, since we have all these engineers here. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I don't think there is much weight difference in .190 and .160 rims really. I think the vast majority of weight is in the tires. And that's the weight that's farthest from the axis of rotation. So it would matter the most in terms of acceleration.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Dang, you guys have been busy!

I have never been able to bust a chain, unless it was worn out already, that is.</end quote></div>

I have on a bicycle after a BIG jump. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I've seen the teeth completely worn off sprockets before. No teeth at all.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, true you're not gonna snap a chain but the wear and tear factor will be a little higher. i just think there's better ways to save weight. i'm not really one to talk 'cause i've managed to pack a few xtra lbs on my swingarm but i've managed to lose a few here & there too so i guess it's a wash...

if you really want to spin that motor up quick, get a lightened flywheel.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Here's a conversion kit that is claimed to add 3 hp by saving 3 lbs of weight. http://sidewindersprockets.com/crf150r.html

Probably gonna have to wave the BS flag at a full 3hp, but I'm sure its something. Sidewinder is a relatively respected name in chains and sprockets, so its tough to say they're totally full of bullogna.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

There was a 230s for sale local here, thrashed cosmeticaly, wanted $450, but it had Malhombre's swinger on it!!!......... pics looked good, rims, engine. Called the tweeker and my spidey sense started tingling (RUN!)...But I want that swing arm!!

He wants to bring it over to my house for me to look, ahhh NO, I don't think so..

Set it up to go look tonight, 6 scarey lookin dudes waiting there eyeballin me,and my truck, no quad in sight.. Dude says its in the garage(door is shut), "get your cash and follow me" So, I went back to my truck to get the cash, yeah right!! I hopped in my truck and smoked those 35in tires the hell out of there!!

What the hell is wrong with people??

Old 02-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MalHombre

yeah, true you're not gonna snap a chain but the wear and tear factor will be a little higher. i just think there's better ways to save weight. i'm not really one to talk 'cause i've managed to pack a few xtra lbs on my swingarm but i've managed to lose a few here & there too so i guess it's a wash...</end quote></div>

Saving weight is good, but saving weight that turns (like tires) or turns even faster (like chains) is what I'm really looking into. I suppose if you had a shotgun shell in your pocket while riding, you couldn't tell what kind of shell it was by how fast your quad accelerated. But if you fired it from a shotgun, you'd know instantly if it was a slug or birdshot. Accelerate something fast enough and small weight differences become huge forces.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>if you really want to spin that motor up quick, get a lightened flywheel. </end quote></div>

Hmmm.... That's an idea. Next time I have the cover off I'll see if a machinist can turn it down some. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Btw, I'm running the 230 flywheel in the 250 engine because the 230 has 3 degrees more advance in the flywheel. They weigh exactly the same though.... Even though the 250 crank, rod and piston weighs more than the 230's.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

There was a 230s for sale local here, thrashed cosmeticaly, wanted $450, but it had Malhombre's swinger on it!!!......... pics looked good, rims, engine. Called the tweeker and my spidey sense started tingling (RUN!)...But I want that swing arm!!

He wants to bring it over to my house for me to look, ahhh NO, I don't think so..

Set it up to go look tonight, 6 scarey lookin dudes waiting there eyeballin me,and my truck, no quad in sight.. Dude says its in the garage(door is shut), "get your cash and follow me" So, I went back to my truck to get the cash, yeah right!! I hopped in my truck and smoked those 35in tires the hell out of there!!

What the hell is wrong with people??</end quote></div>

I thought for sure that story was going to end, "Went back to the truck and got my salt shaker....." [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.