Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atvman29
Welcome back Randy! Hopefully you'll get some nice weather down there to re-ignite the passion!
Thanks!

One thing about me.... As soon as you think you have me figured out, I'll do the opposite.

Originally Posted by PoolGod230
We can't fu@king cuss?? G*d d%mn! Now what the fu*k am I gonna do?
Fork it, man.... Its nucking futs!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

So, what do I have to do to subscribe to this thread?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
So, what do I have to do to subscribe to this thread?
I've been getting emails on and off. Somewhere in your profile you can turn notifications on or off. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Range Rover

ok guys. i tore my 88 lt230s down today(raining and boredom drove me to it). it smoked really bad and had a low idle knock. after tearing down, i found the cam has wear, piston is stock bore, and i think my knock is the fact that the main drive gear was not bolted in allowing it to wobble back and forth. i am going to order a .10 piston and have the gaskets coming. clutch has been replace before and looks like brand new. i am just going to replace the springs ( can't tell if they have been replaced or not). what cam do you recommend? should i tear down the rest of the way and do the crank? haven't checked play, but seems awfully good and tight for me. what else do you all recommend while it is down. also, ordered a carb kit and am going to repack the dg exhaust. not like i am in the poor house, but money is kinda tight now adays and if i was working full time with overtime, i would go full out, but i am on a sorta budget. open to all and any suggestions. i have spent days and days reading all of the posts on here and just wanted some suggestions.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

rockout, glad you decided to post!

No one can really seem to agree on which cam is the best. I can't even think of the third company that offers cams right now. There's Web Cam, Hot Cam, and someone else, can't think of their name though. I think picking the right cam depends on what kind of riding you do.

You sound pretty mechanically inclined so I'm sure you won't, but don't rebuild the carb with the stock jets. That's the problem I'm running into on the 230 I just picked up. The last guy rebuilt it with stock jets and now its starved of gas.

Which jets were/are you running with your DG pipe?

I don't know a ton about your other motor questions though, so I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer them for you.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I would check the rod REALLY well! If its ok, then I would bore it .060 or .080 over. Else get a 255cc kit. That's what I would do. If your rod is slightly questionable, you may get away with it if you have a nice tight bore done by someone who really knows what they're doing. Just never rev it out really high and then close the throttle. The rod WILL break! Instead, upshift or hit the brakes or something to get the revs down before the throttle shuts.

As far as cams go, the 250s stock cam is better than the 230s cam in all regards. I've ran both of them on the same day with no other changes, so I can accurately say that. You can find the cam for less than $200 I think from any OEM retailer. The application is a 1989 or 90 250S quadsport.

People seem happy with both the webcam stage 2 and the megacycle stage 1. Nobody knows which is better though. The megacycle has more lift and a higher ramp-rate, but the webcam has more duration. Who knows....

Old 03-31-2009, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Randy, where did you find your tiny drill bits to drill out jets? I'm really having a tough time finding them online.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Stay away from hotcams. First of all, they either have a misprint in their specs or they're idiots. Secondly, Hot+anything = Taiwan crap. Ie Hotcams, Hotrods, etc.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
Randy, where did you find your tiny drill bits to drill out jets? I'm really having a tough time finding them online.
I picked up a set from biglots a long time ago. I've seen them since online though and was going to buy a new set. Forgot the link, but if you type in "wire guage drill" into google, you'll find a bunch. One place had them all the way to #96 or something like that. Just one place though. Most stop in the #60's I think. #96 would drill a pilot jet with no problem - that's why I wanted that set. They could be even higher numbers, I can't remember.... Its been 6 months or more since I looked.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
I picked up a set from biglots a long time ago. I've seen them since online though and was going to buy a new set. Forgot the link, but if you type in "wire guage drill" into google, you'll find a bunch. One place had them all the way to #96 or something like that. Just one place though. Most stop in the #60's I think. #96 would drill a pilot jet with no problem - that's why I wanted that set. They could be even higher numbers, I can't remember.... Its been 6 months or more since I looked.
What kind of range should I be looking for?

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.