Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

gforce,,, at least you're at 7000 ft. So, it shouldnt be too hard to find the right jet. Mine wouldn't even run till I took it off n washed n rinsed a dozen times. And I'm still screwing around with it.... Trying to find needles and pilot jets. I went to all the part stores in town, arctic cat, honda, suzuki, etc and nobody carries needles or the really small pilots I need. Nobody can even order the needle I want. So, I was out there last night grinding away at my slide hoping that will help. I'm about to just lean everything out and get the dial-a-jet.

The heart of the problem is the carb is just too big for the amount of vacuum the little 230 can produce. Imagine if the carb was the size of a garage door... You could have a jet the size of a sewer drain and the 230 still wouldn't have enough vacuum to suck out any gas at all! Then, at the other extreme, if the carb was the size of your pinky, the smallest of jets would suck the bowl dry in no time if you could somehow keep the engine running. The 28mm is just too big to work efficiently with the small 230. Look at the stock slide next to the 28 and the stock looks like something you'd get from a bubble gum machine.

I wouldn't expect any expert guidance from the local shops either. Yesterday they kept asking me what bike its off of, like that's going to help. Just give me the jet I want! My buddy that has the 250 wrote the numbers down off the frame and went to the suzuki shop to get brakes. They told him he had a 1970 model because it had an "L" in the number! LOL.

As far as I can tell, bikebandit doesn't sell anything for that carb. The local shops will have all the main jets you could want. Its the needles and pilots that are the problem.

Oh, and I was scoping out all the front ends at the shops yesterday. The suzuki 450 is sweet. That would be the arms n shocks I would get if I was gonna get anything. Actually, the Roll Designs gull wing front end kit is really slick. $3000 for the arms and shocks. http://www.rolldesign.com/phot.../catid,8/limitstart,2/</end quote></div>

LOL $3000, OUCH that is over 5 times what I payed for my atv itself. That is a very sweet setup tho. I'm thinking the 400EX setup because they are so widely available so of course cheaper and as far as I can see the 300 and 400EX use the same hardware cept the 400 has heavier shocks.
I hope I find the right jet right off the bat but I am sure murphy's law will kick in and it will be an arduous task...but that is part of the fun it's not just the destination it's also the journey.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Malhombre runs 32mm mikuni

BigMc runs 28mm, stock is 26mm?

270 runs a 28mm, must be a way to make em work...</end quote></div>

But don't the above listed people also have some kind of engine mods, big bore kits, larger pistons, webcams, performance exhaust etc or some combo of the afore mentioned? Right now the only engine mod if you will that mine has is the performance exhaust with the Mikuni 28mm TM Smoothbore Flatslide Carb. I will have a webcam and bigbore kit which will take full advantage of the current carb but until then making it work is a bit challenging.</end quote></div>

DOH!......... Your correct.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

I'll bet if you put your airbox lid back on and start playing with the number of plates on the DG you could get it close!

Old 10-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

I actually have been taking off and putting back on the airlid and so far it doesn't seem to make a bit of difference as far as how it runs, as far as the plates the other day I took them all off and again nothing not one bit of difference, makes me wonder is it nothing but hype or what.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

Not long after I bought it in early August it started smoking really badly upon start up (white smoke) which goes away once it warms up. I believe with my limited knowledge and what I have picked up from the post here that I need to replace my valves. Isn't there supposed to be performance valves (upgrade/replace) what I have now? Especially since I plan on a webcam and bigbore kit.

I think it's time I broke down and bought the repair manual [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/g...articles/jetting.html

Don't know if it will help you...

Old 10-31-2007, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Actually just google "atv jetting guide" found a bunch of stuff I was wondering about. Also check out supertrapp.com for tuning on the DG (Thanks JustRandy)
I don't think it is all hype. When I switched from 2 strokes to 4 stroke in MX, years ago, my race bikes had 'trapps and, the wrenchers were always playing with the number of plates...

Come to think of it, my Dad had 'trapps on all his Harleys... He was quite the mechanic, wish I would have listened to him more when he was alive.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

ur start up smoke is valve seals. I replaced valves seals and guides and still smoked a lil on start up. As far as my jetting goes i can use vm style jets with my carb, which is same jets as stock carb. Not same size jets but u kno what i mean. Im looking into getting the exhaust p.g had or has with the disks,not so much for power but so i can tune the noise,loud in day quieter at night.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Malhombre runs 32mm mikuni

BigMc runs 28mm, stock is 26mm?

270 runs a 28mm, must be a way to make em work...</end quote></div>

Oh yeah, they work, it just very hard to tune up on the low end. I don't see how Malhombre runs a 32. I'm sure it works, but it would be a nightmare for me considering all the trouble I've had with the 28.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

LOL $3000, OUCH that is over 5 times what I payed for my atv itself. That is a very sweet setup tho. I'm thinking the 400EX setup because they are so widely available so of course cheaper and as far as I can see the 300 and 400EX use the same hardware cept the 400 has heavier shocks.

I hope I find the right jet right off the bat but I am sure murphy's law will kick in and it will be an arduous task...but that is part of the fun it's not just the destination it's also the journey.</end quote></div>

Right on! The journey is the fun part!

The 450 is 49 inches wide stock. I dont know what the 400 is, but I'm sure no where near 49. That was why I mentioned the 450. But you're right about 400 parts being everywhere.

I think pretty much any arms you get will work. You may have to press them closer together and then straighten out the bearing bores so they are parallel again. The hard part will be positioning the shock. And then dont forget you will need longer tie rods and brake lines.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.