Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atvman29
What kind of jet selection will a dealer usually have?
They'll have everything but what you need.

They have a plastic case with various sizes. Usually, they're all used and you get what they happen to have collected from years in the business. Otherwise, they will order what you need. Jets only come in packs of 4, so if the dealer doesn't want the other 3, you get to buy all 4. Most of the time they will sell just one though. Usually for 5 bucks. That's how it works around here anyway.

I had to order a #10 pilot once. They said I'd have to pay for all 4 of them (since they had absolutely NO use for such a small jet), but when I went in to pick them up, they just sold me one for $5.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lt230sman
well thats what i thought, but i rode the thing and it was running GREAT, and he definatley wasnt afraid to rev it (he exercised the rev limiter MANY times throughout the day).

but youre definatley right, something doesnt sound right.
My cousin has an 87 250X with a DG pipe, K&N, a massive carb, and a missing second gear, and he can whip me pretty good on my 230. I can almost keep up with him up top though.

Once I switch my sprockets up and tune my pipe, I should be getting a little bit closer to where he is.

Isn't the 300EX just a bored out 250X? I even think the chassis on them is pretty much the same since the 80's.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
They'll have everything but what you need.

They have a plastic case with various sizes. Usually, they're all used and you get what they happen to have collected from years in the business. Otherwise, they will order what you need. Jets only come in packs of 4, so if the dealer doesn't want the other 3, you get to buy all 4. Most of the time they will sell just one though. Usually for 5 bucks. That's how it works around here anyway.

I had to order a #10 pilot once. They said I'd have to pay for all 4 of them (since they had absolutely NO use for such a small jet), but when I went in to pick them up, they just sold me one for $5.
Well I guess I'll make a few calls tomorrow to some dealers back at home.

The hardware store in the town I'm in now for school that has the numbered drill bits, also happens to be a Yamaha Dealership (and the only ATV Dealer for about 20 miles or so). So I'll ask them when I stop there sometime this week.

I called the hardware store earlier and they said one of the numbered bits were like $2.25ish.

So we'll see how it goes I guess!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I know the 250x and 300ex have a lot of the same parts, but I don't know for sure about the bore n stroke. I think they even have the same heads.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider

So, Atvman, how do you like the 250s arms n shocks? I don't know if you said before or not.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
So, Atvman, how do you like the 250s arms n shocks? I don't know if you said before or not.
They are really nice! Its amazing how much of a difference it makes.

I would honestly say the plushness of those shocks is about 100% better than the stock ones. Its much less fatiguing to ride.

My only gripe is that with the shocks being longer, it over-extends the a-arms and causes the wheels to want to tuck under when I'm trying to slide. So next time I'm at work and have some fabrication tools, I'm going to make a new upper shock mount that's higher up and moved towards the back of the vehicle more so I can line it up with the shocks. Hopefully that will make it better.

I'm going to see this weekend when I'm home how much higher it'll have to be. My guess will be about 1-1.5 inches.

Well I have an 8:00 am lab tomorrow, so I'll talk to you guys tomorrow. Night.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Pro Rider

Man, I am not designed to be awake this early.

Anyways, I'm looking on the DK website and they sell Mikuni main jets in pairs for $5.99 in increments of 5 like Malhombre said. If none of the dealers around me have a bunch, do you think I should just do that? Which ones should I try? 120-130? Or is that not a large enough range? Will I need to switch out the Pilot too? Stock is 20 and they're sold in increments of 5 as well.

DK Main Jet Selection

DK Pilot Jet Selection

Sorry about all these noob carb questions guys, I've never done this stuff before.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider

Oh and I'm not sure if this will help to know what range I should get, but with my needle on the 2nd groove from the bottom, and the mixture and throttle adjust screw all the way backed out, I could get it to start by rolling it down the driveway. But as soon as I stopped moving, it would shut off. So I could ride it, and it ran like ****, but as soon as I stopped it would kill instantly.

Again, not sure if that helps.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

Pretty decent set of front plastics for cheap on eBay right now for anyone interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...#ht_500wt_1214

Old 04-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
Man, I am not designed to be awake this early.

Anyways, I'm looking on the DK website and they sell Mikuni main jets in pairs for $5.99 in increments of 5 like Malhombre said. If none of the dealers around me have a bunch, do you think I should just do that? Which ones should I try? 120-130? Or is that not a large enough range? Will I need to switch out the Pilot too? Stock is 20 and they're sold in increments of 5 as well.

DK Main Jet Selection

DK Pilot Jet Selection

Sorry about all these noob carb questions guys, I've never done this stuff before.
How much is shipping? If you get 2 sets of jets for $12 + shipping, are you sure the one you need will be one of them? If not, then what? 2 more + more shipping? Check ebay... Maybe they will have a selection for a decent price.

It would be nice if your dealer would sell you one jet and if it wasn't the right one, you could trade it for another. That way you're only out the gas and time and the price of one jet.

I can't tell you what jet to get because I don't have the quad in front of me. Continue on next post....

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.