Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nah... i just put this cable on but the old one was the same way. if i make it ant looser than it just give me play in the cable. i can pull the shaft out of the housing if that makes a difference. but i thought it was just super worn out and needed a new one. but i not real sure ion thte parts i would need to replace.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Trailblazer

ok guys i just bought a 87 230 off of craigslist for a good deal and i dont know too much about it so i was hoping some of you could help me out with some questions.

first off how do i tell which model it is? i ask because the plastics are all torn apart and i honestly doubt they are the original plastics. It has electric start, no kick start but does have a pull start. it also doesnt have a clutch.... (so does this mean it has a torque converter or cintrifigal (sp?) clutch?)

the airbox is nasty and it is torn apart and not connected to the carb, can i just rip it out and make a intake tube with a filter on the end of it and call it good?

the wiring was insane so i just tore it all out and made a new one from scratch but the only thing i couldnt figure out was the tranny indicators and what the black/yellow wire does on the ignition module (possibly kill switch?) so could anyone look this up for me until my service manual comes in?

what is the wattage output on the recharging system?

i read that it is common for the swing arm bearings to go out and i checked for this but they seem tight with no play in them. is this all i should be looking for?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Talking

Originally Posted by JustRandy
It was a compliment!

That's quite an aresenal!

These are the sporterized old war rifles. Good huntin rifles, but no collector interest. I don't have many that's not bolt or pump.
I took it as a compliment, but but replies on here and in life don't always come across the way I am actually thinkig, especially when I am ranting!!!

The arsenal is WAY deeper than that lil gun!! Don't ever tell me I can't have something/do something/be something without a logical, legal reason.. Pig headed is what my Mom always called me! I prefer to call it "focused"

Old 05-13-2009, 08:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lOOtin LeNNy
nah... i just put this cable on but the old one was the same way. if i make it ant looser than it just give me play in the cable. i can pull the shaft out of the housing if that makes a difference. but i thought it was just super worn out and needed a new one. but i not real sure ion thte parts i would need to replace.
Could be worn, could be just the way 230's are. Maybe if you put new disks in and use the right oil, you may have better luck. I don't like my clutch either.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Spencer2829
ok guys i just bought a 87 230 off of craigslist for a good deal and i dont know too much about it so i was hoping some of you could help me out with some questions.

first off how do i tell which model it is? i ask because the plastics are all torn apart and i honestly doubt they are the original plastics. It has electric start, no kick start but does have a pull start. it also doesnt have a clutch.... (so does this mean it has a torque converter or cintrifigal (sp?) clutch?)

the airbox is nasty and it is torn apart and not connected to the carb, can i just rip it out and make a intake tube with a filter on the end of it and call it good?

the wiring was insane so i just tore it all out and made a new one from scratch but the only thing i couldnt figure out was the tranny indicators and what the black/yellow wire does on the ignition module (possibly kill switch?) so could anyone look this up for me until my service manual comes in?

what is the wattage output on the recharging system?

i read that it is common for the swing arm bearings to go out and i checked for this but they seem tight with no play in them. is this all i should be looking for?
Welcome!

Caught be on a bad day... So tired my eyes are crossing.

What you probably have is a 230E. Check the 10th digit of the vin for the yr according to: Alpha Sports - Suzuki ATV Parts Catalog

Click the link in atvman's signature for a wire diagram and look under the common issues section.

I don't know too much about the E's... They probably have an alternator instead of a magneto.

You have 3 clutches... a one-way, centrifugal, and regular ole wet multi disk.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
Check out the new site logo guys, what do you think? Too plain? At least its not pixely like the last one.

I'm trying to come up with something cool to do with it.
That looks good. You should change the pic of you to show how high you're jumping.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Ya know what is crazy? Besides all the normal crap I get consumed with, I am going to be 39 yrs old in like 14 days, I feel great (finially), look good (hard work payin off) But it is still hangin there in my brain.... last years of being "young"........ I should be thinking of it as a positive, never thought I would live this long! I find myself fighting harder at mma practice, talking smack to "kids" more, judging prople more.. Dang, I think this is what they call a mid life crisis!
I guess I am just glad to be here to experience it!!! My Dick still works, I have another year b4 a doctor has to put his finger in my **** every year....

Forget my bitching, life is good!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome!

Caught be on a bad day... So tired my eyes are crossing.

What you probably have is a 230E. Check the 10th digit of the vin for the yr according to: Alpha Sports - Suzuki ATV Parts Catalog

Click the link in atvman's signature for a wire diagram and look under the common issues section.

I don't know too much about the E's... They probably have an alternator instead of a magneto.

You have 3 clutches... a one-way, centrifugal, and regular ole wet multi disk.
Actually the wiring diagram is under the parts diagrams page. At least I think that's what you meant. I couldn't tell if you meant both the common issues page and the wiring diagram or that the wiring diagram was on the common issues page.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

That looks good. You should change the pic of you to show how high you're jumping.
Thanks, you like the wrench? I couldn't think of anything else to put in there. I don't know why the suzuki s uploads so crappy looking.

And yeah replacing that pic with something bigger was what I was going to work on later tonight.

Oh and I was supposed to have a pic showing all the choices on that post you replied to, but I guess it didn't work.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by PoolGod230
Ya know what is crazy? Besides all the normal crap I get consumed with, I am going to be 39 yrs old in like 14 days, I feel great (finially), look good (hard work payin off) But it is still hangin there in my brain.... last years of being "young"........ I should be thinking of it as a positive, never thought I would live this long! I find myself fighting harder at mma practice, talking smack to "kids" more, judging prople more.. Dang, I think this is what they call a mid life crisis!
I guess I am just glad to be here to experience it!!! My Dick still works, I have another year b4 a doctor has to put his finger in my **** every year....

Forget my bitching, life is good!
You're the luckiest guy in the world!

I got a few more years, but I don't mind the 4-0 sneaking up on me. Its the 5-0 that I worry about!

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.