Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used this new rustoleum automotive paint. Its high gloss, and we sandable. You could paint your whole car with the stuff and then sand/buff out the inperfections. The quad already had a crappy black paintjob, so I just hosed off most of the mud and flaking paint and sprayed on top. If I had done better prep work it would have come out nicer. Oh well it's just going to get scratched up anyway!

Heres the tires on the back of the thing-
ATV Tires - Black Widow Dirt ATV Tires: ATV Tires, Sand ATV Tires, Dirt ATV Tires, Mud ATV Tires Snow ATV Tires and Sand MX Tires at Raceway ATV

One other thing I have noticed, its after riding, switching into reverse is a PITA. If I get hung up on a tree or something and need to back off, getting it to drop back into neutral to switch to reverse it a pain. It either wants to go to first or second, not in between. Is there a trick to it?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bashr52
I used this new rustoleum automotive paint. Its high gloss, and we sandable. You could paint your whole car with the stuff and then sand/buff out the inperfections. The quad already had a crappy black paintjob, so I just hosed off most of the mud and flaking paint and sprayed on top. If I had done better prep work it would have come out nicer. Oh well it's just going to get scratched up anyway!
My sentiments exactly. I did all this work to make it pretty n it got scratched and beat up in a few rides.

Name:  aDCP_1697.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  105.6 KB

Oh good lord!

One other thing I have noticed, its after riding, switching into reverse is a PITA. If I get hung up on a tree or something and need to back off, getting it to drop back into neutral to switch to reverse it a pain. It either wants to go to first or second, not in between. Is there a trick to it?
If there is, I haven't found it. You gotta have the magic foot!

About the only trick I can think of is revving it up while you try finding neutral. It seems to make it easier. Either that or just stalling it and finding neutral and then starting it again.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, neutral is kind of a little b!tch. I have better luck trying to go from 2nd to neutral. Little easier to control my foot pushing down. Somedays its really easy, others it just really wants to grab that gear!

Its strange, on the DVX, to get into reverse you shift all the way down to one, turn the ****, and shift down. Then its just back up to 1 to get out.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The warrior is reverse from any gear, then right back to that gear when done with reverse. That's kinda nice. Plus the warrior is a 6 speed. But having all that fancy stuff and all those gears sure piles on the weight. Can't have everything I guess.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
The warrior is reverse from any gear, then right back to that gear when done with reverse. That's kinda nice. Plus the warrior is a 6 speed. But having all that fancy stuff and all those gears sure piles on the weight. Can't have everything I guess.
Speaking of hefty ATVs, they had a super clean Mojave at the dealer I got the DVX at, and wow, you're right about them being heavy. I lifted the front end and it seemed so heavy, I don't know if you could do a wheelie with it!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Yeah, it weighs about what your dvx weighs, but half the power, lol.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Just got back from a late fishing trip to Mille Lacs up north. Not a ton of luck, but the two we caught were nice! My dad brought in a decent 21" Walleye, and I hooked a 6+ pound Smallmouth (HUGE SMALLMOUTH!!), but get this, as my dad was netting it for me, it flopped, unhooked itself and slid off the side of the edge of the net! My old man nearly had a stroke! He has a 5 pounder mounted on his wall, so needless to say, he was heart broken.

Our state record Smallmouth is 8 pounds and it was caught back in '48!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

I'm going to go pick up the DVX tomorrow. I'm also going to bring the 230 along, then tell him he can have it for 1100, or I'm taking it home and holding on to it until it sells. If he tries to jerk me around, I'm going to use this forum as leverage and tell him how fast I can spread a bad word on here (which is true!). We'll see how it goes! Cause if he takes it for 1100, its really going to be 1175 after taxes, which is pretty close to 1200, which I was ready to accept anyways. I can't wait!

Old 06-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default swingarm bearings

haven't posted in a while but, I have finally gotten around to replacing my old bearings with way long overdue new bearings. unfortunatly now I am paying for my procrastination.
So, I get the swingarm off and pretty much figure out its bad when the bearing just falls out of the swingarm, luckily it was only one side the other side was ok. but I still had a oveled out swingarm that my new bearing would not properly fit, so I took my swingarm to the local machine shop and the machinist said that he could sleeve the swingarm so that the new bearing will fit properly. He also said that he could fix the swingarm bolt by welding it and truing it, he is also going to press in my bearings for me.
Now for the other damage, on the kickstart side of the quad the bolt hole for the swingarm has been ovaled out a little as well. so instead of repairing it the right way I just filled the hole with liquid steel and let it dry so that I can drill it out to the original diameter.
oh and I'm also putting in zerk fittings to grease the bearings periodically.
what I'm wondering is, After all this trouble will I finally have the bearing issue solved or am I missing some component?

Old 06-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

I've got everything back together now except the seat. I need to make a front braket for it to slide into, mines missing. Can someone measure the dimensions of theirs so I can bend one up? Pics will be up tonite finally!! I'm also working on an article for the vault.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.