Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

I'm all over the place aint I... One mintue talking chains, then big bores, then valves,,,, busier than a one-legged man in an *** kicking contest around here. Just the act of making a to-do list should qualify as a part time job. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

.... oh well,,, I need to drag myself out to peek at my steering stem. I'm betting its welded.... I hate to even go out there coz I have 4 quads torn down and my work bench is covered with heads, valves, n misc parts.... Not sure what goes where or which to start on first.... Oh, I talked to my bud about the swingarm tube n he said the machinist said it took him 3hrs to cut the bearing retainer in that ford 9-inch axle, lmao! He said it was throwing sparks. I guess he's trying to cut hardened high carbon steel with hardened high carbon steel, lol. I sure hope this works. I might get my first peek at it tomorrow if he has time to swing by. Holy smokes! I forgot to order the new bearings!!! Yikes, I need to get to work on that list!

Old 01-09-2008, 05:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yep, mine welded too. Looks factory though. Nice job if someone did it. Brushed off and painted... Unlike the other welds I've found on the quad (ie. grab bar).

Old 01-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

Wow, I wish I could stay up as late as you Randy! I'd get a lot more done![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Aren't we also getting HP gains with, intake, exhaust, flat side carbs, cams, etc?
If I can only bore once, I am probably just gonna run the bigbore till it blows, and start gathering parts again to build a "stock" motor, Again......

Old 01-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Well took the steering stem off this morning and took it to a master welder...he does a lot of aircraft jobs, anyway he said he was suprised it was not 4130 chromoly but I told him it was off from a 1986 quad and he said yeah that would explain it. He is going to weld in another tube inside the existing tube to add a much greater strength to the stem in that area. Should be done tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Wow, I wish I could stay up as late as you Randy! I'd get a lot more done![img][/img]

Aren't we also getting HP gains with, intake, exhaust, flat side carbs, cams, etc?

If I can only bore once, I am probably just gonna run the bigbore till it blows, and start gathering parts again to build a "stock" motor, Again......</end quote></div>

Sleeping is the biggest thorn in my side. I actually slept from about 8, 9, or 10 until 1am and woke up. Stayed up till 10am n then took a nap till about now (2pm). No clue when I'll be sleeping next. I never do anything at the same time on any 2 days, but "usually" I like to stay up till 4-6 am n get up 11am-2pm range.

So, now you're probably wondering how I hold down a job. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I don't,,, I fix up houses, cars, whatever n try to turn a profit. I also dabble in the stock market. None of those things are really doing well right now... Looks like stocks are continuing to tank as we, er, I speak. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] So much for the yr end rally... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] 6 months from now they'll be hollaring about whether this recession we just got out of will be double dipped, lol. Nobody ever admits it till its over.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gforce34

Well took the steering stem off this morning and took it to a master welder...he does a lot of aircraft jobs, anyway he said he was suprised it was not 4130 chromoly but I told him it was off from a 1986 quad and he said yeah that would explain it. He is going to weld in another tube inside the existing tube to add a much greater strength to the stem in that area. Should be done tomorrow.</end quote></div>

Sounds like that will work. All the other quads around here have gussets welded in that area.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: PoolGod230

Aren't we also getting HP gains with, intake, exhaust, flat side carbs, cams, etc?</end quote></div>

Yep, but those are hard to say "this is this much better than that". The dyno software has options like "stock exhaust, small tube header with mufflers, small tube header without mufflers, large tube header with mufflers, large tube header without mufflers, HP race headers, open exhaust, etc".

On the intake side it has choices like "single plane intake, dual plane, single plane high flow, indiviual runner, forced induction, etc" And then you pick a carb, 300 CFM is the smallest, up to 1100 CFM or fuel injection.

For the head I can enter the actual flow numbers if I had them. That would model the engine pretty well. But since I dont have them, I have to chose "stock ports and valves, pocket porting stock valves, pocket porting large valves, canted/oval ports stock valves, canted/oval fully ported stock valves, rectangular ports stock valves, etc.... " . A buttload of choices....

The cam I put in the actual degrees the valve open n closes. That's pretty accurate.

So, anyway, I can tell you how changes like bore change, stroke change, compression ratio change, valve size change, cam change, and cam timing change relate to each other in terms of HP. But not how much you'll gain from removing your muffler, unless you want to accept what the generic result is from the programmers of the software. These "lowend" desktop dynos are ok for comparing one thing to another, but not to replace a real dyno machine.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

I am with you on the sleep thing! Except with me, 8:30-9pm rolls around and I am damn near narcoleptic! Then 1:30-2:30am up,almost like clockwork."awake" Just not "with it" enough to get anything done! Been that way since I was a little kid!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Btw JustRandy when I ordered my 13/39 sprockets of course I ordered a new chain. It was from rockymountainatv. I know nothing of chains so I went for price and read customer reviews, and ended up getting Primary Drive 520 H Racing Chain 520x84 for $30.80

Old 01-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I need 100 links of chain for the +4 swingarm. I like primary drive ok, but who knows how much it weighs?

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.