Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain Roller

Hey guys, new to the site but loving it! I have a 87 230e, the bolt on chain roller on the swing arm is toast. Just the roller is $42. But in looking at pics of the sports they don't have the roller on them. Any reason not to just take it off tighten the chain up and let it ride like a sport on the roller at the pivot point on the swing arm?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Range Rover
Cool

Originally Posted by sparksflash
Ok thanks 230man. Yeah when I was removing the nut from the stud the stud broke and the nut came off with it. There is at least 1/2-3/4 inch of the stud left but it just wont budge. Worst case I guess I'll have to take the head off and use ez out or something similar.
try to get some deep creek or rust check, we use that stuff all the time here and some of the stuff is soaked in salt water for years and spray some of that stuff on let it set and it should come loose. hopefully

Old 05-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

Well DG is doing exactly what I thought they'd do. They want me to pay to send them back for "evaluation." I'm kind of hesitant to do that cause I don't want to send them to them only to have them say there's nothing we can do for you, then I'm out shipping costs and time. I'd like to have them for riding this weekend so I guess we'll see.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Tell em nevermind... Its already plastered all over a 230 help forum that has 43,447 views (so far) that DG's nerf bars suck. And not only do they suck, but the company is a pain to deal with. It would be different if they stood behind the crap they sell.... Especially if an engineering defect could result in serious injury or death!

Old 05-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by seacat95
Hey guys, new to the site but loving it! I have a 87 230e, the bolt on chain roller on the swing arm is toast. Just the roller is $42. But in looking at pics of the sports they don't have the roller on them. Any reason not to just take it off tighten the chain up and let it ride like a sport on the roller at the pivot point on the swing arm?
As long as the chain doesn't get tight when you land a jump. The chain should be loose all thru the range of motion of the swingarm.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by sparksflash
Hey guys, I've had an 86 Quadsport for 23 years (since new) and its still running great. I havent done a lot of work on it aside from putting in a lil bigger (27) carb, supertrapp exhaust, and drilling some holes in the airbox lid.

Anyway, during a fun week at Hatfield McCoy in WV I noticed the exhaust had rusted out and broken between the pipe and muffler. I was too impatient with replacing the pipe when I got home and sheered off one of the exhaust bolts coming out of the head. Some is still sticking out, but I cant get it out with a vice grip or channel locks.

I know this is fairly common. Does anyone know if the bolts are screwed in, or if they're like machine pressed in or something?

Thanks a bunch,

flash.
Wow! Since new??? Cool!

I'd be careful EZ outting that stud. Be sure to drill straight. Put the head in an oven for a while to heat it up before even attempting to remove it. If its in there tight enough that you broke something, you'll break the ez out too. Another thing you can do before drilling is rap it a couple times with a drift punch and hammer. That will break loose some corrosion in the threads.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by atvman29
That's cool, I didn't know Supertrapp made a 230 pipe. I thought mine was one of a kind! lol
I'm sure everybody made them in the 80's.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by JustRandy
As long as the chain doesn't get tight when you land a jump. The chain should be loose all thru the range of motion of the swingarm.
Thanks!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JustRandy
Tell em nevermind... Its already plastered all over a 230 help forum that has 43,447 views (so far) that DG's nerf bars suck. And not only do they suck, but the company is a pain to deal with. It would be different if they stood behind the crap they sell.... Especially if an engineering defect could result in serious injury or death!
i think im gonna disagree on that one...

im very happy with my dg nerfs (with exception of the cheap allthread bolt that i didnt use anyways). the tubing is of substantial size and wall thickness, the welds are strong, the powercoat is nice, and the fit is fine. they are very sturdy and ive had no problems with them.

besides, what other nerfs can you even get for the 230 anyways?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lt230sman
i think im gonna disagree on that one...

im very happy with my dg nerfs (with exception of the cheap allthread bolt that i didnt use anyways). the tubing is of substantial size and wall thickness, the welds are strong, the powercoat is nice, and the fit is fine. they are very sturdy and ive had no problems with them.

besides, what other nerfs can you even get for the 230 anyways?
We must have received two different sets of nerfs. The three shorter bolts with my set were all too short, they would only grab about 1-2 threads on the frame. The threaded rod was cheap, and apparently the weak link, and the fit is not very good. Mine are really torqued on there; they want to twist all weird and the u-bolts in the front don't line up very well at all. And the kit I just helped my girlfriend's brother put on his 230 were the same way; we have to go get him some longer bolts this week.

But like you said, we have no other options.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.